Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I spent 8 months in London on what would nowadays be called a gap year. For the last 4 months I was in a bedsit near Hounslow West. When I moved back to Giggleswick my brother put my worldly goods in the back of his car. I rode my hike up to St Pancras and met him there. They allowed him to drive up to near where the Champagned bar is now and my chattels were put in the gaurds van of the Thames Clyde. That took me to Settle and the goods went to my parents car via thecpirters barrow. I rode my bike hone.  Very civilised.  Thevmove tonFrance was 6 large trailer loads of stuff plus 19 palleys on a lorry. However 9 of them were my layout.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm in trouble now!

The door frame to the guest bedroom is bowed, so the replacement door which fitted at the top and the bottom needed to have a chunk taken out of the middle to make it fit.  The easy way is to plane the whole door side down, but you end up with a gap and the top and bottom.

So I thought I'd be able to replace the one side of the door frame with a straighter bit of timber.

There is now a biggish pile of broken timber and plaster lumps where the door frame once was, and it looks awful.

I have no worries about reinstating the frame so the new door fits like a glove, but Nyda is due back tomorrow and she might not be so impressed with my decision.

It will look much better once the  mess is cleared up and I've created a new frame.

Of course, all that timber I got rid of a month ago would now be coming in very handy:laugh_mini:!

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thevmove tonFrance was 6 large trailer loads of stuff plus 19 palleys on a lorry. 

Jamie

I had this wonderful vision of a number of drunken Yorkshiremen sitting on the back of a Bedford flatbed rumbling through France singing the 9000th verse of 'Ilkley Moor'

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I had this wonderful vision of a number of drunken Yorkshiremen sitting on the back of a Bedford flatbed rumbling through France singing the 9000th verse of 'Ilkley Moor'

Unlikely, they typically choose Leyland Hippos for such harmonic activities.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Changing doors and frames in our house is fun, the house is on the huh, that is it's tilted in its 120 years life, most of the doors are parallelograms, by up to an inch and a half. Extra large solid doors have to be used so there is plenty to plane off. Hopefully there are no more to do in my lifetime..

Joined the RAF travelling by train, carrying one small suit case.

12  years later, Left the RAF with a military kit bag, one large suit case.... Driving a car, with a dinghy on the roof, towing a small sailing cruiser. Oh and SWMBO with her stuff including 2 rough collies and a border collie.

11 years later we moved house, 10 transit Luton van loads, plus car, different dinghy and the sailing cruiser. Oh and 4 of the 5 rough collies in the avatar.

We aren't moving again....

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought that a Hippobag was a female hippo so ugly as to be unattractive even to other hippos. And boy, that's ugly.....

The DIY virus seems to be endemic in North Hipposhire. I have spent nearly all day fitting and fettling new curtain poles in our lounge. An easy job I hear you mutter, what's he doing taking so long over it? Well, the new poles, bought by Jill and friend without my input, had fixings included that were designed (if designed is an appropriate term for something completely without any obvious intelligent thought involved) by someone whose ideas concerning using them in the practical world were slightly less impressive than those behind the chocolate teapot. Hence I have spent half the day in the workshop devising ways of altering the old fittings, which were of sound design but not directly applicable to the new poles, and carrying out the required modifications. At frequent intervals I found myself gazing longingly at the layout......

Anyway, all is now done and a handful of brownie points have been banked. I've even been promised an extremely large G & T in an hour or so. Mmmmm.

Tomorrow I'm off to Derby as a guest at the formal opening of the Museum of Making in the Silk Mill in my capacity as chairman of the Midland Railway Society then Saturday is threatened to be dedicated to selecting paint, wallpaper and other vital supplies for the dreaded D word to follow the acquisition of the new curtains and those bl**dy poles. On Sunday we are going to house, horse, cat and fish sit for our friends near Ellesmere for four days but then Jill and friend are away for three days so guess where I will be spending that time? Yep, in the workshop - unless there are orders to the contrary of course.

TTFN

Dave

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have spent nearly all day fitting and fettling new curtain poles in our lounge. An easy job I hear you mutter, what's he doing taking so long over it? Well, the new poles, bought by Jill and friend without my input, had fixings included that were designed (if designed is an appropriate term for something completely without any obvious intelligent thought involved) by someone whose ideas concerning using them in the practical world were slightly less impressive than those behind the chocolate teapot. Hence I have spent half the day in the workshop devising ways of altering the old fittings, which were of sound design but not directly applicable to the new poles, and carrying out the required modifications. 

Been there, had to do that!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pH said:

Been there, had to do that!

Curtain fixings in this house are such a faff that once a pole or track is up that is it. Either fixing to a steel girder or plasterboard would seems to  be the required location. The curtain track in the lounge bay window needed 3 different types of fixings. Also  John Lewis’ definition of “easy to bend” aluminium track wasn’t anything like my definition of easy. 
After we came up to sleep tonight Aditi noticed a message from the window repair man asking if he could come and replace our window tomorrow. The double glazing panel has been on order for a month now. He had told us it might not come until late October. I didn’t want to be struggling to take down the Venetian blind on that window tomorrow so did that tonight. I couldn’t remember how the blind was fixed but fortunately it was obvious. I suspect the state of the paint behind where the blind was will initiate a discussion about decorating. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to get my body in gear with a muggocoffee followed by a shower then breakfast before setting sail for Derby. On the way I'll see whether any of the local garages have got any diesel or have been affected by the fuel shortage. I reckon there's enough in the tank for the return trip today but I want to ensure we've got enough for next week.

I hope that the day goes well at doorframe department of the Hippodrome and that right angle joints and straight timbers will feature so that the Abergavenny inspectorate will be sufficiently impressed not to complain about 'the mess' .

Have a good POETS everyone.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When we moved from our first house to this one, the removal firm said we would only need a very small van. On the day we moved, about 10 days after exchange of contracts, the only van they had was huge. 

When we moved 25 years ago, the removal firm sent 3 guys and a medium sized van. It was only a local move from one end of the village to the other and so I wondered if they planned on making two trips but when I said we hadn't got the keys yet due to mortgage / solicitor delays, they panicked a bit and rang the office for reinforcements. An hour later 2 more chaps and a smaller van arrived but we were at the end of a shared drive at the end of a cul-de-sac so they couldn't get near until the first one was full and then they only just had enough space in the second van.

The new house it was built on a slope so the house was about 6ft above the road with narrow steps up to the door. Luckily the van had a side door and they put a ramp across to the front lawn otherwise some of the stuff would have been manhandled up and over the wall. What they thought would be a quick and easy local move took about 9 hours and I was told that the 'estimator' who came to price up the job was new to the company and they had found other recent jobs where he had failed to estimate the amount of stuff people had and the space it would take up in the van. They suggested that the company would have lost money on our move.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1