Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I have three piles of wood,  a steadily reducing pile in the model railway shed,  left over from construction of the railway supports or still to be used. 

A double bin cupboard of offcuts,  not quite small enough for burning,  and the new green shed has a selection of wood bought for certain projects,  mostly for equipment trollies for the workshop.  Also in the green shed is a plastic dustbin full of mahogany offcuts and pieces recovered from boats in the past.

Not in the bucket are two 4ft long 1ft wide 1 1/4 thick planks of mahogany from my motorboat which were part of an of a heavily over engineered console. I dread to think how much that would cost today.

I Look forward to the day it gets down to one very much smaller pile... 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A consequence of the PH shifitng much of his stuff last weekend is my getting the 4 wheel 5hp leaf vacuum from the garage, where it was constantly having to be moved, and into the store shed.

The added bonus being that the extra weight will stop the shed from blowing away and it creates a permanent free space in the garage..but not for long!

• Like 5

I have wood of various kinds and sizes:

- under plastic cover outside

- under cover in the carport

- in the rafters of the indoor storage area

- in a bin in the storage area

- stacked against the wall in the storage area

My wife complains about this, especially the indoor stuff when doing one of her regular tidying up sessions. (To be fair, she does have something of a point - some pieces wouldn't make more than a few matches.) However, I can point out in reply that several repairs/new builds of garden structures done in the last year have been accomplished with wood from various of these piles, with no need to buy new wood.

However, when (if?) we downsize, it will all go straight into a skip.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

I have wood of various kinds and sizes:

- under plastic cover outside

- under cover in the carport

- in the rafters of the indoor storage area

- in a bin in the storage area

- stacked against the wall in the storage area

My wife complains about this, especially the indoor stuff when doing one of her regular tidying up sessions. (To be fair, she does have something of a point - some pieces wouldn't make more than a few matches.) However, I can point out in reply that several repairs/new builds of garden structures done in the last year have been accomplished with wood from various of these piles, with no need to buy new wood.

Being as you live your side of the pond where timber is a staple component of houses, couldn't you build your own house from what is left in the timber stack?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, pH said:

23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Being as you live your side of the pond where timber is a staple component of houses, couldn't you build your own house from what is left in the timber stack?

While there is quite a bit of wood in total, building a house from it would be serious ‘downsizing’ !

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I'm at Waterloo tomorrow, so plenty of chatter please.  Bill

We'll try our best, but to throw the ball back into your court, who is your main supplier of continental O gauge locos and stock?

I must be looking in the wrong place , but when I enquired about some American stuff, all I seem to get is three rail tinplate.

The basements in the USA are obviously not as big as I'd previously assumed.

• Like 5

Richard, 

Chris at A&H Models imports Lenz, who are the market driver.  

There  is a web site and forum which identifies most manufactures and suppliers. This is Spur Null Magazine / Forum. 

The exception is MBW, who have right royally pissed off everyone else in Spur Null but who produce some very nice stuff.  Search for mbw de

A word of warning; most modern German Spur Null is 1: 45.  Older models (brass and expensive) can be to 1 : 43.5.  The difference is less than 4% so less noticeable than HO v OO.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

A word of warning; most modern German Spur Null is 1: 45.  Older models (brass and expensive) can be to 1 : 43.5.  The difference is less than 4% so less noticeable than HO v OO.

Bill

So again the Germans seem to have got it right.  American 0 at 1/4" to the foot is technically sitting on 5ft wide track; British 0 at 1:43.5 on 32mm track is too narrow. but 1:45 on 32 mm gauge track is spot on

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Americans came up with 3 variations on O gauge. 1/4" scale on 1 1/4" track.  17/64" scale on 1 1/4" track. 1/4" scale on 1 3/16" track (called Q gauge). One of my neighbours showed me a car body he built in 17/64.

Lionel's diagrams of track cross-section measured the 1 1/4" to the middle of the rail (with the circular head). I don't have anything left to actually measure.

We went to Stratford again today. They were having "Bargemusic" down the Avon river. Today was violin cello duet. SWMBO felt that Bach partitas were a bit low key for a public offering.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about calibration to Q standards but let's not forget the S7 style acolytes in the USA who use what is called P48 using 29.9 mm track.

Mentioning S7 is a moot point.  Had I ventured into 7mm scale when I was busy with EM, I would probably attempted going down the S7 route.

when the next round of G0G elections are through the composition of the new Management committee will dictate whether I remain in the Guild or fail to renew.

Joining the Scale 7 crowd would then not be beyond the realms of possibility.  I would not be tempted to convert my 7 mm exploits to S7, but access to their S7 stores alone would be worth the membership fee.  So we shall see how things pan out at the end of this month.

My tasks today will see me doing some more work in the garden and veg plot.  however, I have decided that a sort out of the boxes that contain all my scenic materiels, paints, brushes and transfers would benefit from my attention.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Now this is a case of you heard it here first!

When Heljan released the updated 7 mm Hymek, I bought a GSYP version.  Of course it came unnumbered.

I shuddered at the thought of affixing individual stainless steel letter and numbers to the sides, as my eyes are not too brilliant, so I asked Steve at Railtec if he had plans to extend his 3D number plate range to include the Hymek.

At the time he was snowed under with work so the answer was no.

I then decided that a cheat would be in order, so the next order I put in, included one for D 7035.  what I intended to do was put the one piece transfer in place and then add the separate letters over the top using the transfer as a template.

When Steve found out my plan, he decided to move his R&D up his schedule of work, and having had a play with his systems, has now got  Hymek numbers to a standard he is happy with. 

When he emailed me with the news that he could now produce the number plate, I was thrilled to bits and now have a set on order.

A big well done and thank you is in order to Steve.

The usual disclaimer applies from this very happy customer

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We're very particular who joins the S7 Group HH, so if you applied it would probably fall to me as a member local to you to interview you and report on your suitability. Given a fairly generous supply of cake I could probably overlook your predilection for panniers and report favourably.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

We're very particular who joins the S7 Group HH, so if you applied it would probably fall to me as a member local to you to interview you and report on your suitability. Given a fairly generous supply of cake I could probably overlook your predilection for panniers and report favourably.

Dave

Cake's fine.  I'll ask Georgie for a special variety.  she owes me a favour as next weekend I'm looking after their Westie.

image.png.7e297ca4f57a18533438e3460041935b.png

I was worried you'd demand single malt.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

May pass a bit of time, do you know this model?image.jpg.0697394cfe6144cd335789845d511741.jpg

Now one of those in Gauge 1 (as per the Aster version of the 1980's) and about 20 DB bogie coal hoppers would be quite the catch.

Fitted with the Wagner style smoke deflectors rather than the bats wings

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Cake's fine.........

Ah, you want the guaranteed favourable report. Cake alone is just for the probable one.

25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now one of those in Gauge 1 (as per the Aster version of the 1980's) and about 20 DB bogie coal hoppers would be quite the catch.

Fitted with the Wagner style smoke deflectors rather than the bats wings

I think that those may have been the magnificent beasts I saw double headed heaving coal trains out of Luxembourg lots of years ago. What a sight.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, you want the guaranteed favourable report. Cake alone is just for the probable one.

I think that those may have been the magnificent beasts I saw double headed heaving coal trains out of Luxembourg lots of years ago. What a sight.

Dave

You could be right regarding the locos, the picture is of a BR50, I t’s a type with a relatively light axle load. The BR 44 is a heavy weight, more associated with double headed heavy mineral traffic, so think you are more likely to have seen a pair of BR 44s.

Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Cake's fine.  I'll ask Georgie for a special variety.  she owes me a favour as next weekend I'm looking after their Westie.

image.png.7e297ca4f57a18533438e3460041935b.png

When I look after the neighbour’s cat they send sachets of tuna and “Dreamies”. 

Actually they do give me wine as well but I said I am quite happy to do it anyway. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1