Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

59 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Fairly certain it's not Lenz.  Probably to 1:43.5.  Will be one of the niche builders, such as Gebauer.  Bill

I don’t know the scale, it’s an oddball in my collection, as you can see it’s a Kiss model. It was left to me by my cousin, he knew I modelled O gauge but of the British variety. It is peculiar story as he didn’t model O gauge either! He modelled (or rather collected) in European HO, predominantly German from era 1 to present day. Laterally  he had started collecting Kiss locos in gauge 1. The BR50 was his favourite loco so when he had the chance to purchase one in Ogauge he took it.

So he had the BR 50 in HO, O and 1.

Now I also model European, but in N and Z and I too have a BR50 in these scales.

We were planning a display at our MRC exhibition showing the relative sizes of the different scales but we needed a BR50 in TT. Unfortunately he passed away and the idea never came to fruition.

He left me the O gauge version and the MRC the gauge 1 version. I would like to do the display in his memory but need to get the missing models. I’m not sure I need the TT one though. RobertAF6F6D29-44EB-4F5C-BF28-D159F0BBE36D.jpeg.70e7f588c230a9aec0364d85f5563a0d.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Fairly certain it's not Lenz.  Probably to 1:43.5.  Will be one of the niche builders, such as Gebauer.  Bill

Having looked at the prices that are being quoted on the website for German steam outline locos, they are probably nearer to UK prices for a ready built tender loco than their HO equivalents are.

But it shows how prices have risen over the years* as the electric locos now are about the same price as the Aster 2-10-0 BR 50  live steamer (1:32 scale) I bought back in 1984.

*As have wages/salaries/pensions.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have just returned from a trip to South Yorkshire, and am now in possession of a very full garage.

Obviously your navigational skills are rather poor.  The former Republic of South Yorkshire started a few miles south of your destination. However it is the most south Easterly part of West Yorkshire.  South Kirkby nick is just across the road and was definitely part of may area of responsibility.  I wondered why my ears were burning.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I wondered why my ears were burning.

You were only mentioned once, and as you can imagine, in the most derogatory terms.

I was also asked to give the North Shropshire correspondent  a good kick in the you know where next time I saw him.

Ashford was mentioned in less than glowing terms, but the PH summised that the only reason for the complaints was that the accommodation in the JSIW was not the usual off base hotel that aircrew are used to!

For those not in the know, most of the conversation was the usual inter-service banter which is always quite robust.......but jovial.

The reason for the trip t'north was to collect a rather large continuous run 0 gauge railway layout.

Although it is  now safe in the garage, I will need a fine(ish) day before I can erect it to see what I have acquired.

The picture was taken just before we unloaded it after the trip south:

trailerful.jpg.d8c2f8cff605f5241cdcd3b5809dcbd1.jpg

The load bed on the trailer is 5.5 ft x 12 ft.

So it's quite big. (And US outline, but I fear that will change in the not too distant future.)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I delivered it to Dave's garagevuding a 7.5t box van. I'm just gladvit has gone to a good home. It's builders would have approved.

Jamie

I've just measured the traverser. It's nearly 10 feet long which will make for suitable storage for a very impressive coal train behind a PANNIER tank loco. 

Much better than the 6 x 16 ton minerals we are currently able to store.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No it was one of a pair and they were both heading for Cotswold Airport (formerly known as RAF Kemble).

Apparently they are both ex-Bruntingthorpe and are capable of starting up and taxiing

Edited by Happy Hippo
extra info
  • Informative/Useful 3

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

From 1973-75, a Buccaneer was my office space - happy days, yes, I am that old.

XX494 ex809 once at HMS Fulmar

A27957A8-FD67-4A3F-BBA2-4DE65D4BC2A4.jpeg.c72e5b1aadf4fa5187c8a715998442ba.jpeg

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Update the image

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

From 1973-75, a Buccaneer was my office space - happy days, yes, I am that old.

XX494 ex809 once at HMS Fulmar

A27957A8-FD67-4A3F-BBA2-4DE65D4BC2A4.jpeg.c72e5b1aadf4fa5187c8a715998442ba.jpeg

Stay Safe

Hi Jack,

We may well have shared the same bit of airspace at times, mainly when you were ashore. I was on RAF F4s at that time and later worked with some guys you may have known from the Ark, such as Dave Hamilton, Chris Hurst, Steve Riley, Gordy Batt, John Eaton-Jones - all ex 892.

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Had another cr*p day with the gut rot (although that seems slowly to be on the way out) as well as spending ages on the 'phone getting BT to admit that in the past four months they've overcharged me by £150 and refund it as well as getting something meaningful done about stopping it in future. I also passed some of my life that I'll never get back trying to make someone from NS&I understand that since their system doesn't have my email address it's no use me filling in an online form so that I can be sent an automated email reply. And if this bl**dy predictive text thing doesn't stop changing what I type every ten seconds I'll.......... well I'll get even more cross than I am for one thing.

Sometimes the modern, all digital world seems to have come straight out of Lewis Carrol. Have I, I wonder, morphed into Victor Meldrew?.

Night all. Stay safe and sane in Waterloo Bill.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

FAAD4316-90CC-433D-9942-63A1C964DB12.jpeg.106ca8c7b2418091ad0c5cfddf85d77f.jpegI mentioned elsewhere that Matthew would have been 28 today. Now as you may know I rather like trains and when Matthew was very young he did too.

This photo was taken at the Bluebell Railway. I thought it could go on this thread as it has a loco on it. Matthew had blond hair then and Aditi could still pick him up. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12