Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Way back in the stone age 1969 I was sent on the jungle survival course in Malaya and like HH we were told always to check our boots before putting them on. One morning a chap in my group laughingly said something about not forgetting the daily boot inspection and shook his upside down. His grin evaporated when out of one of them fell a scorpion.

Dave

When I was in Cyprus, the DZ at Kingsfield where we used to parachute was littered with large and rather sharp rocks.  Between lifts, we would  clear these rocks and put them in piles away from the landing pit (A 10m dia hole  filed with pea gravel).  On one occasion I picked up a rock and felt a sharp stabbing sensation.

I thought it was a thorn, but turned out to be a scorpion.

I was treated at the local med centre but after about 8 hours of increasing pain which initially was localised around the finger, had spread up to my elbow, I was admitted to hospital where I remained for about 48 hours. I don't remember much about my stay there, as I was obviously away with the fairies on whatever drugs I'd been given to counter the venom.

I do remember it was an extremely painful experience that I would not wish on any of my friends.

The envenomation point on  the middle finger of my right hand and the surrounding area which stretched down onto the palm was discoloured for about 12 months afterwards.  The inside of my right arm (up to the elbow) was also covered in irregular white blotches which eventually faded away.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When I was in Cyprus, the DZ at Kingsfield where we used to parachute was littered with large and rather sharp rocks.  Between lifts, we would  clear these rocks and put them in piles away from the landing pit (A 10m dia hole  filed with pea gravel). 

Who kept putting the rocks back on the DZ ?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 8

9 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This looks mighty suspicious, unfortunately I can't get a higher resolution.

1439785249_Screenshot2021-10-105_43_04PM.png.311cdeeb08818422d88b0a00986d3006.png

There are also confirmed to be engines abandoned in Catumbela Angola.

image.png.55caecfe38d224f044d56ad2beb08d16.png

https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/angolatales02.htm

They are, indeed the engines at Catumbela. I saw them from a crew bus in 2005 while transferring from Benguela to Lobito. Quite a surprise. I also spent about 8 months on the Saipem 3000 around that time, and again in 2008-09 working 6 week rotations out of Pointe Noire which is why I tend to remember that period as "Congo" although it actually extended as far North as Akpo (Nigeria). We also changed through Douala at one stage, although I never went there. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2021 at 09:28, Tony_S said:

We are quite relaxed about crows visiting the vegetable patch, we need a scareslug.

Crows may once have had sufficient intelligence to be scared by a scare-crow but I suspect they've evolved beyond that stage. Slugs, on the other hand, have insufficient intelligence to know fear.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Crows may once have had sufficient intelligence to be scared by a scare-crow but I suspect they've evolved beyond that stage. Slugs, on the other hand, have insufficient intelligence to know fear.

I used to think that slugs had very little purpose other than to be annoying to gardeners but I was soon corrected (almost certainly on RMWeb) about how important they (at least some slug species) are for soil. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought it was a thorn, but turned out to be a scorpion...... after about 8 hours of increasing pain which initially was localised around the finger, had spread up to my elbow, I was admitted to hospital where I remained for about 48 hours. I don't remember much about my stay there, as I was obviously away with the fairies on whatever drugs I'd been given to counter the venom..... an extremely painful experience that I would not wish on any of my friends.

Nowhere near as bad as that, but in Singapore I was undoing the padlock on the garden shed when a little green spider, only about a quarter of an inch across, bit me on the finger and within about half an hour it had swollen up like a sausage and my hand started going funny colours. I had to go to the medical centre and have an injection of some sort in the hand and it was a couple of days before it was back to normal. I was surprised that a spider so small was able to puncture the skin.

I think that my most frightening experience, though, was when I was wading in the sea off one of the small islands to the south of Singapore and a sea snake swam between my legs. Since we were a good half hour from Singapore itself I think I would have been a goner if it had bitten me.

We also found a cobra in our garden once. A really fun place, Singapore.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Another pigeon feather collection on the lawn this morning. I mentioned to Aditi that it could be a sparrowhawk targeting our garden pigeons. She said on both mornings she has seen three magpies looking at the scene, with an air of “nothing to do with us, mate” .

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that my most frightening experience, though, was when I was wading in the sea off one of the small islands to the south of Singapore and a sea snake swam between my legs. Since we were a good half hour from Singapore itself I think I would have been a goner if it had bitten me.

In my experience, in the sea, a snake between the legs is usually quite small, due to the cold...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Another pigeon feather collection on the lawn this morning. I mentioned to Aditi that it could be a sparrowhawk targeting our garden pigeons. She said on both mornings she has seen three magpies looking at the scene, with an air of “nothing to do with us, mate” .

A magpie isn't powerful enough to take out a pigeon, even mob handed. What is likely is that they are waiting for the left overs after the sparrowhawk his finished.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Nowhere near as bad as that, but in Singapore I was undoing the padlock on the garden shed when a little green spider, only about a quarter of an inch across, bit me on the finger and within about half an hour it had swollen up like a sausage and my hand started going funny colours. I had to go to the medical centre and have an injection of some sort in the hand and it was a couple of days before it was back to normal. I was surprised that a spider so small was able to puncture the skin.

We also found a cobra in our garden once. A really fun place, Singapore.

Dave

I remember standing waist-deep in the sea near Perth, WA when a black shape 2-3' long swam through the water in front of me.  I was out of that water rather quickly.......

Re: small spiders being able to puncture the skin, I'm sure I've read that Daddy Long Legs are sufficiently poisonous that they would be very dangerous to humans if they could open their jaws wide enough to bite human skin.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Not a lot of the fauna around here is out to get you although there are rattle snakes further South. Arizona was bad. Scorpions, rattle snakes and lots of black-widow spiders. A spider got me when I was cleaning out the pool skimmer basket but it turned out to be a wolf spider. They look terrifying but their venom isn't usually a problem for humans.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

magpie isn't powerful enough to take out a pigeon,

I saw one once kill a starling on the ground. It just flew at it and pierced the starling’s  skull with its beak. Then flew off with it. I suspect the magpies this morning were just interested in the feathers in case there was something edible left. I think whatever has killed pigeons two nights running was something furry hiding in the plants next to the lawn. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I occasionally find a snake in my railway barn. Life goes on - so far.....

A picture would be appreciated if you can manage one.

I enjoy looking at, hunting for and reading about most reptiles, but have no desire to keep them.

They have quite specific husbandry requirements that differ between the various types.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A picture would be appreciated if you can manage one.

I enjoy looking at, hunting for and reading about most reptiles, but have no desire to keep them.

They have quite specific husbandry requirements that differ between the various types.

We see a lot of these.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/species/taxa/15879

The photo doesn't quite do justice to the tail. When they move you might think they have blue LEDs embedded in them.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1