Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have already had good results with the commercial attractant. The rodent seems to be a bit more savvy than its Bretheren. I also bought 2 traditional type traps the other day on clearance from B&Q for a pound I have baited 1 with each bait and managed not to get my fingers caught in the trap.

I will get the bl00dy thing one way or another 

Don't overdo it.

• Funny 8

7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Isn't windshear associated with things like thunderstorms, which have rain and hail for the doppler radar to work off and a completely different phenomenon  which is quite violent compared everyday turbulence?

A clear sky or some relatively innocuous clouds, is there enough stuff out there to be picked up?

Is it the same system but with various levels of warning?

Andy

I think it works just by detecting velocity differences in the air itself without the need for any other stuff to reflect the radar, but I don't know much about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

There will, if at all possible, be me. If you are really unlucky we may be able to arrange a gang outing of the NHOC*.

Dave

*North Hipposhire Old Codgers 

Will be checking my roster.

I may happen along. 

Might have to try and avoid the NHOC lot though. 

They sound a bit rough. 

It's bad enough living next door and having to put up with the noise.:music:

Andy

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Isn't windshear associated with things like thunderstorms, which have rain and hail for the doppler radar to work off and a completely different phenomenon  which is quite violent compared everyday turbulence?

A clear sky or some relatively innocuous clouds, is there enough stuff out there to be picked up?

Is it the same system but with various levels of warning?

Andy

There are two types of windshear detection systems - Predictive and Reactive. Predictive uses weather radar to sense the density and velocity of rain and other airborne particles ahead based on doppler shifts and a warning is triggered by algorithms that use the incoming signals and relate them to the likelihood of windshear. Reactive is a function of processors taking in information from other aircraft sensors and passing that information through algorithms to report that windshear is actually being experienced. Although that is fairly obviously too late to help avoid windshear, it can be used to assist flight control systems or autoland equipment to react more quickly to the windshear before a dangerous or irrecoverable situation develops.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I may happen along. 

They sound a bit rough. 

Andy

I am Rough!  Literally:laugh_mini:

(Only some of you will get this)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Doesn't matter how many times I try, the same thing happens with the privacy box.

Let's hear it for software updates. If all updates were 100% able to take into account the updates of all other programs I guess all would be OK but as it is the trouble it entails for Andy Y and his like is considerable.

Dave  

Dave and Northroader, I have a solution it’s quite technical though and I can walk you through it if needed. It uses Apple Keychain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I may happen along. 

They sound a bit rough. 

Andy

What? All the Neeeeeaaar, Waaaaar, Takatakataka

And that's before the belching and perpetual flatulence accompanied with a Wokka Wokka tail rotor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Dave and Northroader, I have a solution it’s quite technical though and I can walk you through it if needed. It uses Apple Keychain.

OK Douglas. Probably best if you PM us to save taking over this thread?

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

OK Douglas. Probably best if you PM us to save taking over this thread?

Dave 

Please let me know if it works. My iPad keeps asking permission for this site and also for any Hornby site too. Otherwise works fine. I use Edge as a browser on the iPad. I have tried other browsers including safari with no improvement. Keychain is active on my iPad (iPadOS15)

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I managed to more or less conceal the motor on my engine today, in fine 1960s kit builder style. I’m not to worried though as I think I will be giving this engine a Midland/Caledonian style bogie tender. Help was also had from my newly arrived 1924 copy of “Model Electric Locomotives and Railways” by Henry Greenly, which will be a very interesting read.

587E2054-9524-4610-BD2F-A1D719152620.jpeg.829b833ba02a22ddaf1a10f2257c4678.jpeg

9B0F06CE-1EF0-4E8D-942C-E5CC1D1CBB71.jpeg.f85824dc19a9a01f9b2818396016af83.jpeg

CE210E29-5D22-4135-9602-FA8156494336.jpeg.7935305848bd91412e8574d7cffa9cd7.jpeg

89284F0D-9098-4AA9-820E-162AF0B03D69.jpeg.1e38be3675cabde588eaf7f0d8e45a93.jpeg

@Dave Hunt, would you prefer it if I sent you a PM tomorrow as I think it’s rather late at night in the wilds of Hipposhire.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

......and a ball pein hammer.....

:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

A puzzle:

We attacked a cabinet in the kitchen today. It was being used to store a load of baking stuff and it was a proper mess. The plastic covering on the shelves was peeling off too (ridiculous - after a mere 25 years).

This is a wall mounted corner cabinet and the shelves are essentially square with a diagonal piece removed at the diagonal access door. The shelves are held in place with these things.

4720780_Screenshot(15).png.959b78c88df61b265adfa7cdf4eb8b96.png

You probably have something similar too. The shelf sits on the flat projection and the clip springs out to prevent the shelf lifting up.

I'd probably have to draw a picture to explain it properly but the shelves in the corner cabinet are supported on five of these clips in such a way that it was virtually impossible to depress enough of the clips simultaneously to be able to bump the self up to remove it.

I was about ready to destroy the damn things when I came up with a solution.

That's the puzzle :lol:

(BTW, a quick check on YouTube didn't reveal the answer)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, AndyID said:

was about ready to destroy the damn things when I came up with a solution.

I would have used old credit cards to hold the spring clips against the shelf. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

A puzzle:

We attacked a cabinet in the kitchen today. It was being used to store a load of baking stuff and it was a proper mess. The plastic covering on the shelves was peeling off too (ridiculous - after a mere 25 years).

This is a wall mounted corner cabinet and the shelves are essentially square with a diagonal piece removed at the diagonal access door. The shelves are held in place with these things.

4720780_Screenshot(15).png.959b78c88df61b265adfa7cdf4eb8b96.png

You probably have something similar too. The shelf sits on the flat projection and the clip springs out to prevent the shelf lifting up.

I'd probably have to draw a picture to explain it properly but the shelves in the corner cabinet are supported on five of these clips in such a way that it was virtually impossible to depress enough of the clips simultaneously to be able to bump the self up to remove it.

I was about ready to destroy the damn things when I came up with a solution.

That's the puzzle :lol:

(BTW, a quick check on YouTube didn't reveal the answer)

Sticky tape?

Andy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda wants to make it a long weekend:unsure:

Does that mean she is going too, or just hoping for bit more peace and quiet at The Hippodrome without the tail rotor and other sound effects?

Andy 

• Funny 8

It has to be said that this "getting old" lark can be a bit of a bummer. I have developed these

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I would have used old credit cards to hold the spring clips against the shelf. 

That's what I thought too except that I tried stuffing bits of old hacksaw blades between the shelf and the clip. Didn't work for toffee! The gap wasn't wide enough and I could not force them into the space.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

BTW, you are not going to be happy when I reveal the solution to the puzzle :D

Put a second shelf (assuming same size) on top of the first, pushing the springs back?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1