Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Re serving on Ark Royal.

My brother-in-law, now sadly passed, was on board  AR-IV around 1962.  He was Brian Williams, of Holyhead and was the Captain's Chef.

However, I doubt any of you were on board at the time or ever met him.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Amazing what no buffers and using Kadee couplers lets you get round. 

I suspect the larger radii curves on the return boards are around 4 foot radius, and the B set we used to test, did go around, but those reverse curves are a lot sharper in reality than they look in the picture.

It took me about an hour this morning to get it unscrewed from the transit boards and erected. Dismantling was abound 30 minutes, but I  kept the boardfs loose rather than try to replace the transit boards.

As a matter of interest it packs down a lot smaller as a result.

Gordon Roden came around for a look this morning, so we will now come up with a  sensible scheme of works to anglicise it.

I suspect that this might need to be quite drastic.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Gordon Roden came around for a look this morning, so we will now come up with a  sensible scheme of works to anglicise it.

The track doesn’t look North American so that must help!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Did you by any chance find a layout plaque on it showing which year it went to Wakefield and also anything with it's name on, as I can remember neither.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

No plaque in sight.

the name of the station is South Greenfield.

There is a little painted NC to the side of the station name board which might stand for North Carolina.

The spiders have obviously done the resistance to Interrogation course, as they are not saying anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The spiders have obviously done the resistance to Interrogation course, as they are not saying anything.

Spiders don’t bother confessing now, everything is on the web. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

A bit of Googling and I discovered that it appeared at Wakefield in 2013. I now know where to look for the photos and will post them if I find them.  It has been in the garage for 7 years then so the spiders will have had plenty of time to absorb resistance to interogation techniques.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm glad I got the layout erected on the drive yesterday, as I have awoken to heavy rain this morning.

I suspect this will be followed by a tasking which will be of a domestic nature: Dusters, polish, vacuum and steam cleaners would be the most likely culprits.

Overnight many plans were formulated and discarded over the future of  what is still 'South Greenfield'.

The plans included building two layouts from one!

How crazy is that?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Has anyone else notice the number of individuals in other areas of RMWeb, that ask for help and information, but neglect to say what scale and gauge they require the information for?

Or the posts entitled "Livery question" or similar.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

All my cronies who live locally and contribute to our modelling group (currently in hiatus) are coming up with ideas for me on how to move 'South Greenfield'(from now on to be known as SG) on from it's current status.

When I have collated the various suggestions, I will report back for your amusement.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Has anyone else notice the number of individuals in other areas of RMWeb, that ask for help and information, but neglect to say what scale and gauge they require the information for?

It doesn't really matter, as they will ignore sage advice from experienced and knowledgeable people and go with what they read on Facebook anyway!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I hate liver, which ever way chefs try to tart it up.

You had this coming..

even with.. 

"some fava beans and a nice Chianti "

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

My first trip on public transport, apart from an overnight crossing on Brittany Ferries, since January. Big adventure! Newton Abbot was very quiet, the buffet is closed, apparently forever, and the train was eerily quiet. A nice lady did provide teas and coffees, though. The Tube was implausibly empty, and the concourses at St Pancras and KX, just like the Lawn at Padlington, pretty much as they must usually be about midnight.

I am now on the 12.24 St P to Paris. Lightly loaded again. I hope the Metro isn’t too busy, as I need to cross to Gare Montparnasse for my final leg to La Ferte Bernard. We hope Sherry will join me in mid-September. Not seeing each other for 5 months, Feb to July, was not fun. Let’s hope there are no more lockdowns. 

Tucked deep in my rucksack is a kitbuilt OO loco, which I collected last week from the builder, about 6 months sooner than expected, thanks to Covid giving him more time! Already fitted for DCC, I’m looking forward to her running trials later this week. 

Just glimpsed Rochester castle and cathedral, which I used to be able to see from my first house, more than 40 years ago. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

57 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It doesn't really matter, as they will ignore sage advice from experienced and knowledgeable people and go with what they read on Facebook anyway!

I hate sage.  Bill

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

There is a discussion on ER about Napoleon's supply line in 1812.  The thing about Napoleon is that he barely had a supply line, expecting his troops to live off the land.  Because of Murat's (usual) stupidity, he had to return from Moscow the same way he went in, so any local supplies had already been consumed.  Bill

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Let’s hope there are no more lockdowns. 

Hmmm ..... there were overtones of lockdown being mentioned on this morning news on 'Télématin'. The daily increase in reported new C-19 cases is somewhat eyebrow raising.

Been to the vet this morning (instead of my usual perch on the scaffolding) with my big Dick, masquerading as a huge fluffy ex-tom, who's been limping badly for the last couple days. The vet's analysis after doing an X-ray is that he's bust his crossed-ligaments in his knee and there are some bone chips in the joint. Joy! The last time it happened to another cat, it cost £1300 for the operation - which was good for about 2 months. It (the operation) failed and it was then amputation of the leg - another £1000. Luckily, at the time, nice Mr Tesco paid up as I had taken out their (excellent value) pet insurance. Not so lucky this time! It's a bit of 'what to do' situation - without any guarantee of success :(.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Missing word despite having read it before pressing 'submit' - drat!
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a cat person so cannot offer any advice in that department.

Dogs I have much more experience with, and finance really doesn't come into it.  you look after them whatever it costs.

However, having said that, we made an informed decision once our last dog got to 15 tears old, we dropped the insurance off as the company hiked up the rate considerably, and at the same time were actually reducing the level of cover.

At that point we accepted that if anything went seriously wrong then at 15 years old +, she was as a Staffie, very much on borrowed time.

Elsa soldiered on until the grand old age of 19, when one evening she  just collapsed in the kitchen. 

The vet, an old friend was summoned to the house, and after a quick diagnosis, we agreed that it was time to let her go.

That might seem harsh just written like that, but it was the best we could do for Elsa as I had no wish to prolong her life if the quality was gone.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Friendly/supportive 15