Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've been disposing of his models as well as his vast photographic and book collections on behalf of his wife Wynne since he was admitted to a nursing home and although I've shifted a lot there is still an enormous amount to do.

Dave

Special Beary thoughts to DH at the very sad loss of a good friend :friends:

I find it all very sad when a person's much-loved collection and a lifetime's work are sadly disposed of because there are either no suitable family members (e.g. children or grand-children) to leave them to, or if there are then they have no interest in them. :cry: 

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Special Beary thoughts to DH at the very sad loss of a good friend :friends:

I find it all very sad when a person's much-loved collection and a lifetime's work are sadly disposed of because there are either no suitable family members (e.g. children or grand-children) to leave them to, or if there are then they have no interest in them. :cry: 

Though the important thing is to ensure they end up with individuals or organisations that recognise their significance (especially where unique historical documents are concerned) and from where onward transfer into further safe hands can be assured if/when it becomes necessary.

John

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

I knew my cleaning exploits would not go un noticed today:  I've been tasked with the kitchen tomorrow!

A busy time coming up, as I am going on enforced trips to Reading (Fri-Mon), Llandudno (Wed) and then Margam (Fri-Sun).

Apparently I've been told I can take it easy next Tue and Thu in order that I don't wear myself out between trips.

Personally I'd have preferred to go to Llandudno on Thu, stay overnight and then go from one end of the A470 to the Hirwaun turn just south of Storey Arms, then cut down into Neath on the Friday.  It would probably save some mileage and fuel doing it that way, but I'm not in charge of detailed timetabling.

• Friendly/supportive 16

It's beginning to look a lot like Ch... Thanksgiving            (tomorrow and the shops are completely bonkers!)

The snowline has dropped close to lake level and the fir trees are all flocked (with snow). Looks a bit like a gigantic Christmas tree sales site :lol:

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

After a considerable pause I got the old FDM printer going again and took a shot at a Douglas wheel. (Not Douglas IOM, Douglas OK)

DSCN5217.JPG.d2448b58bedb96ce22e01a4b564e504e.JPG

Came out reasonably well except for a couple of issues. The print started to detach from the build plate on one side, probably because the plate was not hot enough, and I need to persuade my CAD software that it should be more circular than a thruppeny bit :D

DSCN5220.JPG.6162056486336a6f31ccdd8887a5bf65.JPG

Cruel magnification!

It's 60 mm in diameter and printed in PETg filament which is tough as nails. The filament is a bit translucent so I sprayed the wheel with some matt paint.

I think this is is a good alternative method for producing loco wheels or at least their centers in the larger scales (0 and up). Maybe not quite as smooth as cast metal but you can launch the production of a prototype immediately from a 3D CAD drawing and watch it emerge while you consume a beverage of your choice :drink_mini:

Later: I changed some of the settings and applied some new hairspray to the printer's glass bed and the second attempt did not warp. Now to see if I can make the tread a bit more circular with CAD. I've no idea how machinable this stuff is but I might even put it in the lathe to find out :scratchhead:

Edited by AndyID
Later
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hippo's and Poly Bears had better watch out.:fie:

Noooooooooooo.............:scared:

Remember, a Bear (or Hippo) is for life, not just for chrimbo.  Can you afford the cake bill?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Where's the Ugh button when you need it.

Jamie

Consider This A Formal Warning!

Any more of these prejudiced outbursts and it will be MANDATORY LNERSRGWRLMS+ Awareness Training with the possibility of a 6-month modelling ban or up to a €15,000 fine or the removal of modelling tokens to the same amount.

There’s no place for such intolerance on TNM. Remember, LNER SR GWR LMS + are all the same in the eyes of Dr Beeching and his ilk, so it’s “united we stand, divided we fall

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Any more of these prejudiced outbursts and it will be MANDATORY LNERSRGWRLMS+ Awareness Training with the possibility of a 6-month modelling ban or up to a €15,000 fine or the removal of modelling tokens to the same amount.

There’s no place for such intolerance on TNM. Remember, LNER SR GWR LMS + are all the same in the eyes of Dr Beeching and his ilk, so it’s “united we stand, divided we fall

Hmmm not quite certain how to say this but the axe has, as in past tense, fallen. Perhaps you dozed of, or had a shower but I'm afraid  Dr B has had his wicked way. He has torn asunder the great association of those wonderful railways and cast them aside like so much detrisus. I think perhaps you should go and lie down in a darkened room with the blinds pulled down and give yourself some time to recover.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm not quite certain how to say this but the axe has, as in past tense, fallen. Perhaps you dozed of, or had a shower but I'm afraid  Dr B has had his wicked way. He has torn asunder the great association of those wonderful railways and cast them aside like so much detrisus. I think perhaps you should go and lie down in a darkened room with the blinds pulled down and give yourself some time to recover.

I am well aware of that, but the spirits of Dr Beeching and Ernest Marples are still present. Like Freddy Kruger, the animosity against railways has never died!  - just consider the furore over HS2.

p.s. I don’t need any time to recover, thank you very much, Switzerland never had a Dr Beeching, thank goodness. The SBB is alive and well (although a bit creaky at times)

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I knew my cleaning exploits would not go un noticed today:  I've been tasked with the kitchen tomorrow!

A busy time coming up, as I am going on enforced trips to Reading (Fri-Mon), Llandudno (Wed) and then Margam (Fri-Sun).

Apparently I've been told I can take it easy next Tue and Thu in order that I don't wear myself out between trips.

Personally I'd have preferred to go to Llandudno on Thu, stay overnight and then go from one end of the A470 to the Hirwaun turn just south of Storey Arms, then cut down into Neath on the Friday.  It would probably save some mileage and fuel doing it that way, but I'm not in charge of detailed timetabling.

Or at least combine the Reading and Margam section with a trip down the M4 but like you say the timetabling rests with a higher power

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am well aware of that, but the spirits of Dr Beeching and Ernest Marples are still present. Like Freddy Kruger, the animosity against railways has never died!  - just consider the furore over HS2.

p.s. I don’t need any time to recover, thank you very much, Switzerland never had a Dr Beeching, thank goodness. The SBB is alive and well (although a bit creaky at times)

No disagreement there iL Dottore. I was just checking that you'd not had some sort of break down and the men in white coats weren't banging at the door.

I believe it was the time of 'white heat of technology' - you know Concord, nuclear reactors and the Beatles

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder whether in your study of pharmacology you indulged in too much practical.  Such thoughts fortunately  aren't yet punishable via Madame Guillotine.  There is obviously only one rule, engines should be red.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Much as I hate to bring this up, but Beeching was blamed for a lot of railway closures, certainly in Wales, that were already planned and in some cases were implemented before he took office.

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I wonder whether in your study of pharmacology you indulged in too much practical.  Such thoughts fortunately  aren't yet punishable via Madame Guillotine.  There is obviously only one rule, engines should be red.

Jamie

Our local priest told me there is a special place in hell for those who do not like pannier tanks.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Another interesting fact about Beeching closures:

He proposed that the following lines in Wales should be closed to passenger traffic.

Cardiff - Coryton

Barry - Bridgend

Aberdare

Ebbw Vale.

Only Coryton avoided the chop

The other three have since had their passenger services reinstated.

I'm sure Brian can give us chapter and verse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Another interesting fact about Beeching closures:

He proposed that the following lines in Wales should be closed to passenger traffic.

Cardiff - Coryton

Barry - Bridgend

Aberdare

Ebbw Vale.

Only Coryton avoided the chop

The other three have since had their passenger services reinstated.

I'm sure Brian can give us chapter and verse.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. 

Brian:locomotive:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Canal Digger said:

I'm a Brian W also!

Snap! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2