Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Another interesting fact about Beeching closures:

He proposed that the following lines in Wales should be closed to passenger traffic.

Cardiff - Coryton

Barry - Bridgend

Aberdare

Ebbw Vale.

Only Coryton avoided the chop

The other three have since had their passenger services reinstated.

I'm sure Brian can give us chapter and verse.

Bear also recalls a documentary that mentioned that a certain Railway Station should've been given the chop because it didn't meet the necessary criteria; however it survived.

It just happened to be the the one that Dr. B used.  Strange, that....:angry:

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear also recalls a documentary that mentioned that a certain Railway Station should've been given the chop because it didn't meet the necessary criteria; however it survived.

It just happened to be the the one that Dr. B used.  Strange, that....:angry:

I thought he used East Grinstead? Healthy user then and now!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I thought he used East Grinstead? Healthy user then and now!

I don't recall the station, but IIRC the survey would be carried out at something like 11am, when many stations are pretty much dead.  Go there in the "rush hour" though and it's a totally different story....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since you dig canals and they are a very low speed form of transport, you could be known as Brian the Snail?

If The Q is also a Brian, he'd need to be known as Brian the Sail!

Given that you are not a million miles from Staffs, did you see this?

https://alittlebitofstone.com/2017/04/01/council-backs-new-high-speed-canal-network-hs2o/

• Funny 13

A now departed friend used to be in the River Police in London. He would tell stories of going through locks from the Thames into one of the lesser rivers with 'blues & 2s' going, OK switch them off for 10min. Then trying to hurry others boats in around theirs, so as to fill it quicker with water 

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

https://alittlebitofstone.com/2017/04/01/council-backs-new-high-speed-canal-network-hs2o/

Yes along with the date.:laugh_mini:

17 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

A now departed friend used to be in the River Police in London. He would tell stories of going through locks from the Thames into one of the lesser rivers with 'blues & 2s' going, OK switch them off for 10min. Then trying to hurry others boats in around theirs, so as to fill it quicker with water 

Ive seen that programme on the TV:

Police Canal Action

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Our local priest told me there is a special place in hell for those who do not like pannier tanks.

Indeed there is - it's standing in the viewing gallery on day trips from heaven to watch the local residents that do like pannier tanks. 

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DenysW said:

SWMBO has made lemon drizzle cake for the first time in eons. I was tasked with making the syrup and over-boiled it. We had to thin it down with Cointreau. Brutal.

I hope you are well defended against intruders, especially Poly Bears.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Indeed there is - it's standing in the viewing gallery on day trips from heaven to watch the local residents that do like pannier tanks. 

Dave

That'll teach me to not fully work things through.

A bit like our platoon C/Sgt at Sandhurst who was very annoyed by the appearance of one of the more slovenly officer cadets:

Standing about 6 feet in front of the hapless individual, he raised his pace stick and bawled out at the top of his voice:

'There's a piece of sh*t at the end of my stick!'

The wavering reply was:

I can't see it at this end Staff!'

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

That'll teach me to not fully work things through.

A bit like our platoon C/Sgt at Sandhurst who was very annoyed by the appearance of one of the more slovenly officer cadets:

Standing about 6 feet in front of the hapless individual, he raised his pace stick and bawled out at the top of his voice:

'There's a piece of sh*t at the end of my stick!'

The wavering reply was:

I can't see it at this end Staff!'

I bet the Sgt had a suitable reply up his sleeve that ended in Sir.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I bet the Sgt had a suitable reply up his sleeve that ended in Sir.

Jamie

No, He went away muttering as I suppose he was a bit taken aback.

The next time he used it, as they all have their 'pat phrases' he added 'and it's not at this end'.

So a lesson was learned!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

Good Evening Awl,

Just one observation (or is it 5?):

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I wonder whether in your study of pharmacology you indulged in too much practical.  Such thoughts fortunately  aren't yet punishable via Madame Guillotine.  There is obviously only one rule, engines should be red.

Jamie

Jam(ie)es The Red Engine?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No, He went away muttering as I suppose he was a bit taken aback.

The next time he used it, as they all have their 'pat phrases' he added 'and it's not at this end'.

So a lesson was learned!

we had a Guards trained drill Sgt at our force training school who became a bit of a legend.  He's dead now and the training school has been demolished but the developers named one of the roads on the new housing estate, Butler Way, after him and had a dedication ceremony with his family and some force reps and retirees present when the name was revealed.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Should be beneficial for the Telf water ski team who had to give up because they couldn't find a downhill lake.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

we had a Guards trained drill Sgt at our force training school who became a bit of a legend.  He's dead now and the training school has been demolished but the developers named one of the roads on the new housing estate, Butler Way, after him and had a dedication ceremony with his family and some force reps and retirees present when the name was revealed.

Jamie

We had a PT instructor at my pre-commission training who introduced himself on day one with, "My name is Sergeant Kerry. Previous courses have called me 'Killer Kerry'. They had a point." And they did - in spades!

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I passed there last week when I diverted from Bar Lane down onto College Grove coming out near Lightwaves its very different now the training centre has gone. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Retail therapy day tomorrow. Being collected at 8:45 am and then we head off to Faversham starting with breakfast at Wetherspoons provided by me followed by a wander down to The Hobby Shop (our closest proper model shop) to see whats arrived since our last visit.

Next visit we change positions, I drive and and my friend pays for breakfast. We normally go over on the last Friday of the month which, next month, would be December 31st. Will have to decide whether we do the 31st or wait until the festive season is over.

Keith

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, AndyID said:

After a considerable pause I got the old FDM printer going again and took a shot at a Douglas wheel. (Not Douglas IOM, Douglas OK)

DSCN5217.JPG.d2448b58bedb96ce22e01a4b564e504e.JPG

Came out reasonably well except for a couple of issues. The print started to detach from the build plate on one side, probably because the plate was not hot enough, and I need to persuade my CAD software that it should be more circular than a thruppeny bit :D

DSCN5220.JPG.6162056486336a6f31ccdd8887a5bf65.JPG

Cruel magnification!

It's 60 mm in diameter and printed in PETg filament which is tough as nails. The filament is a bit translucent so I sprayed the wheel with some matt paint.

I think this is is a good alternative method for producing loco wheels or at least their centers in the larger scales (0 and up). Maybe not quite as smooth as cast metal but you can launch the production of a prototype immediately from a 3D CAD drawing and watch it emerge while you consume a beverage of your choice :drink_mini:

Later: I changed some of the settings and applied some new hairspray to the printer's glass bed and the second attempt did not warp. Now to see if I can make the tread a bit more circular with CAD. I've no idea how machinable this stuff is but I might even put it in the lathe to find out :scratchhead:

Andy that is looking very very good. Thank you so much. Would you like to set up a call some time tonight or tomorrow to discuss the lathe? 

Happy thanksgiving to all,

Douglas

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1