Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Hippos playing with a spherical ball? What a daft idea, almost as daft as Jamie or me playing with a pannier tank!

Having a recurring nightmare with RMW as whenever I try to select  'content I posted in' it times out and I get an error 524 message. It's happened before and it's a PITA as getting to the latest posts on forums I post in is a long winded business. Andy Y can't get to the bottom of it. Pah! (the problem that is, not Andy)

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Further to my last, I will be in Margam on Friday,

Herr Oberst Drakeford has alerted the "Heddlu Ffiniau Cymru"  to your possible incursion, somewhere near the northern extremities of Offa's Dyke.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Herr Oberst Drakeford has alerted the "Heddlu Ffiniau Cymru"  to your possible incursion, somewhere near the northern extremities of Offa's Dyke.

I think they are well aware of my forthcoming arrival. I'm having a fish and chip supper with one (of thirteen) of Peter Vaughan's Deputy Lieutenants of Mid Glamorgan on Saturday evening.

Can you spot the one to whom I'm referring?

There are 13 other Deputy Lieutenants of Mid Glamorgan who represent the Lord-Lieutenant at his request when necessary. They are:

Dr Dale Cartwright OStJ DL

Major John Charles TD * DL

Jeff Edwards MBE OStJ JP DL

Lt Col Huw Evans TD RA DL

Bethan Guilfoyle DL

Beverley Humphreys DL

Jayne James BEM DL

Mel Jehu MBE DL

Ann Jenkins DL

Felicity Ladbrooke DL

Dr Richard Lewis MBE CStJ DL

Edward Ough DL

Alyn Owen DL

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think they are well aware of my forthcoming arrival. I'm having a fish and chip supper with one (of thirteen) of Peter Vaughan's Deputy Lieutenants of Mid Glamorgan on Saturday evening.

There are 13 other Deputy Lieutenants of Mid Glamorgan who represent the Lord-Lieutenant at his request when necessary. They are:

Bethan Guilfoyle DL

Beverley Humphreys DL

Jayne James BEM DL

Mel Jehu MBE DL

Ann Jenkins DL

Felicity Ladbrooke DL

Edward Ough DL

Alyn Owen DL

Surely there must be a Dai?

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Having a recurring nightmare with RMW as whenever I try to select  'content I posted in' it times out and I get an error 524 message. It's happened before and it's a PITA as getting to the latest posts on forums I post in is a long winded business.

On the sub-forum (Modelling musings & miscellany for this thread) there is a star for any thread you have posted on.  Clicking on that star should take you to somewhere near the new posts.

ĸen

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bethan Guilfoyle DL

Beverley Humphreys DL

Jayne James BEM DL

Mel Jehu MBE DL

Ann Jenkins DL

Felicity Ladbrooke DL

Edward Ough DL

Alyn Owen DL

Please give 'junior' my regards..................

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave's news regarding his fizzog is great and I'm happy to say that the dermadoc who was treating the dreaded leg lurgi signed me off today and assured me that I would be able to ski this season. Not only that but she deftly froze an annoying whajamcollet on my tummy that was annoying the heck out of me.

BTW, I happened to notice a lot of people are now naming their dogs Fauci :D

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

10 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

That's a bit older than my SB Model C but very similar. After bit of digging I determined that mine was made in 1948 which means it's not very old at all. That's only one year older than me :o

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Evening all,

This evening I got up the courage to do some proper carpentry and make the buffer beam for the engine. It’s made from hardwood in the style of the more elaborate “Stevens Model Dockyard engines from the 1890s. Buffers have yet to be designed.

48859B00-AE97-40DB-A840-25AE06925577.jpeg.b08147a4f282c608fed1d26a7ebce101.jpeg

7FEE9B7D-88B9-4A86-AE1E-004F2528E910.jpeg.02ab613bdc9e3c9aca9467b6b583d944.jpeg

I also decided to remove all pint from the  engine bar the frames, as they are steel. So they have remained in NER lined red and black. I think it looks quite good, providing the boiler gets polished every 5 days.

0A3B473D-F459-4B7F-A7BD-01FA519D44EF.jpeg.4dc0ef55bfad551c3286be2713e66001.jpeg

54228A79-C44E-4DCC-94F3-A509250605AE.jpeg.dd2c3a3a310e53c558cbb2a358d1958a.jpeg

Here’s the look of the type of engine I’m going for.

A8BF6B9A-D49F-4D8F-B129-6AE633425047.jpeg.825f3797e15ee85e4d48a6aa32183934.jpeg

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18067/lot/319/#/!

My tender will be a bit more to scale than that though.

Douglas

• Like 10

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Handy to have if you get snowed in.

DSCN5229.JPG.be900bb99390b2b090253601252f5ba5.JPG

DSCN5231.JPG.de08e639eaa5ca3af7bedb5d545bf893.JPG

DSCN5234.JPG.d3afb8f215a3d6a850f9637b20307802.JPGDSCN5232.JPG.c2cb410993ad2335cf8dbcbfb1b1d29f.JPG

DSCN5233.JPG.d6031c650af4c5327fbdd0865306815e.JPG

Aficionados of "Hungry Hippos" will have noted that the fitba is too big even for the hungriest of hippos. There should be lots of smaller ones. Probably lurking in another box.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Our correspondent from Oklahoma was daft enough made a shrewd investment and purchased my little Toyo lathe for his Crimbo. It's all wrapped up now.

DSCN5228.JPG.ffa3b2ea9d8a68f86ad4e618469c5a06.JPG

Merry Christmas Douglas! I hope you get as many years of enjoyment from it as I did.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Our correspondent from Oklahoma was daft enough made a shrewd investment and purchased my little Toyo lathe for his Crimbo. It's all wrapped up now.

Merry Christmas Douglas! I hope you get as many years of enjoyment from it as I did.

Breaking News! Scottish bodger cajoles younger bodger into buying lathe! More at 11. Now back to cricket…

On a serious note, thank you very much Andy and it shall be put to very good use, first by turning the chimney for the engine and then probably the buffers. Then come the bogie wheels.

Douglas

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

@Florence Locomotive Works you are a lucky so-and-so!

I am most envious of the sheer range of equipment available in the UK and (especially) the US for the hobbyist. Much of what is available in the US & UK is not available in Switzerland (prohibited? Importers can’t be bothered with such small numbers?) and what is available is prohibitively expensive.

Of course, one can always do mail order from a company like Conrad or Micro-Mark, but in the first case a huge number of items in the Conrad catalogue are marked “nicht lieferbar in der Schweiz” and in the second, postage/shipping costs from the US have become prohibitive (not to mention having to pay the inevitable import taxes).

An alternative is Am****n, but lately I’ve noted that any item search always results in a “suggested” listing of no-name items made in the PRC. Even typing in a specific brand and item (e.g. Bosch Electric Screwdriver) will throw up a bunch of no-name items - with the Bosch item hidden amongst them. If an item isn’t too expensive I might take a punt on it - but I’m rather loathe to spend any more than SFr 50 on an item of unknown provenance and quality.

So I guess the only real alternative is to cross the border to Germany, buy the items there and carry them over the border “by hand” (so to speak).

Now all I have to do is figure out which is the best multipurpose lathe to buy in Germany…

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

And there's some very useful looking wood in that rather nice packing case too..... :wink_mini:

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Surely there must be a Dai?

Did you have to suggest that - now I have the Banana Boat Song going through my head

Dai Ough, Dai Ough
Daylight come and we want go home
Day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a Dai Ough
Daylight come and we want go home

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, I see - Margam is a geographical reference is it? I thought it might be Welsh for 'the poo' meaning that Nyda had rumbled one of HH's little schemes again.

Dave

The word you require is cach.

As immortalized by Mr Rolley's infamous 4 mm 'Twll Cach'.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that explains the well known RAF term, "Deep in the cacky" - one that I became quite familiar with :wacko: I had thought it was some derivation of khaki and referred to something of a brownish hue but it now seems that it was more likely due to a Welsh influence.

Dave

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, that explains the well known RAF term, "Deep in the cacky" - one that I became quite familiar with :wacko: I had thought it was some derivation of khaki and referred to something of a brownish hue

If you spend any time in Khaki you will understand why the term Pongo came along.

I think it is all rather symbiotic!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you spend any time in Khaki you will understand why the term Pongo came along.

I think it is all rather symbiotic!

The French use the word caca.  Hence one lady who overstayed her welcome at a friends house was known as sack of caca.  Officially 5he word is merde, which also means mud. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Breaking News! Scottish bodger cajoles younger bodger into buying lathe! More at 11. Now back to cricket…

On a serious note, thank you very much Andy and it shall be put to very good use, first by turning the chimney for the engine and then probably the buffers. Then come the bogie wheels.

Douglas

You will find the Toyo a far better machine than  the pile of loosely assembled scrap metal you were asking about.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having spent some time in the turret of a Chieftain, the term Pongo seemed quite appropriate then :wacko:

Especially after a curry the night before!

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Having spent some time in the turret of a Chieftain, the term Pongo seemed quite appropriate then :wacko:

Especially after a curry the night before!

Dave

It must pervade most of the armed forces.  I remember that the song sung by the crew of a submarine, it was 02.00 at a Ceilidh near Stornaway, was "Nobody washes in a submarine".

Jamie

• Funny 12