Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Opinion only. Now the Connie on the other hand:

313950253_SoudaConnie.jpg.2454bde4ce31ca1926b5d1e66d21718d.jpg

It even graced a record album:

1883603671_LushLife.jpg.b38dd0e2e27d5cc5e859bad44e969933.jpg

The Connie was the only reason that I bought the album; it turned out that Linda Ronstadt and Nelson Riddle made a very good team; quite listenable.

I remember  seeing Connies and Superconnies on a visit to Heathrow when I was 7. My next visit it was VC10's, 707's and DC8's. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I realized the picture earlier doesn’t show the full scale of this massive drawing. The horizontal bar below it is a 6 inch ruler! After more observation this appears to be a factory reprint of the original, distributed to less senior members of the design team, or something like that. Apologies for the poor lighting.

41EF6AAC-48EC-4A59-A00F-7A15882CCAB8.jpeg
The more keen eyed of you have spotted another poster over on the far left, it a small reprint of a NYC 20th Century Limited poster.

Nice  1934 aircraft that won lots of records only 5 built for long distance racing,  some copies built more recently. 

1434592520085.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Opinion only. Now the Connie on the other hand:

313950253_SoudaConnie.jpg.2454bde4ce31ca1926b5d1e66d21718d.jpg

But would you really feel comfortable flying (and more importantly, landing) in an aircraft that has a twig where the nosewheel gear should be?

4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I realized the picture earlier doesn’t show the full scale of this massive drawing. The horizontal bar below it is a 6 inch ruler! After more observation this appears to be a factory reprint of the original, distributed to less senior members of the design team, or something like that. Apologies for the poor lighting.

41EF6AAC-48EC-4A59-A00F-7A15882CCAB8.jpeg

There's a good chance that exposure to UV light and heat will unfortunately trash the drawing, sadly.  The best bet if you wish to display it is to get it copied and display that instead.  Storing the print would best be in a rolled, not folded format - maybe wrapped in acid free tissue paper and in a cardboard (or possibly better, plastic?) tube, away from heat (so probably not in the loft).  If the print is original it may well have some financial value to it, being desirable to collectors.  Not that I'm suggesting you part with it though.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

First time I flew it was from Cardiff to Jersey in a Viscount operated by Cambrian Airways.

For a little boy they had big seats and even bigger windows which were great for observation.

However looking up the Viscount  on the Aviation Safety Network revealed the following statistics:

Vickers Viscount Statistics

Last updated: 9 October 2020

Hull-losses:144

Hull-loss accidents:131with a total of 1521 fatalities

Criminal occurrences (hull-losses, excl. hijackings):5with a total of 97 fatalities

Hijackings:13with a total of 18 fatalities

Survival rate:10.7%of all occupants survived fatal accidents

There were only 445 built!

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Today's options:

1. Fit the new kitchen flooring - brownie points - negligible (you started yesterday, why isn't it done yet?)

2. Take son to disability football training, outside, in the rain, then come home and fit the new kitchen flooring - brownie points  - slightly more than negligible 

3. T-CATS modelling in the garage - brownie points - minus as many as you can think of.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Warning - Rant Mode (and some) engaged...

Bear refilled the CH system, then proceeded to bleed the rads.  First Rad:  bleed screw made out of monkey metal and has rounded sufficiently to stop it being turned.  FFS.

Rad Key has now been filled with chemical metal in the hope that I can get the bvgger out.  Otherwise it's the rad off to bring out the serious guns - the bleed screw is on the rear, facing the wall....

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Warning - Rant Mode (and some) engaged...

Bear refilled the CH system, then proceeded to bleed the rads.  First Rad:  bleed screw made out of monkey metal and has rounded sufficiently to stop it being turned.  FFS.

Rad Key has now been filled with chemical metal in the hope that I can get the bvgger out.  Otherwise it's the rad off to bring out the serious guns - the bleed screw is on the rear, facing the wall....

I was going to say my heart bleeds for you, then reread what you were up to!

Some time ago I invested in a pack of replacement bleed screws after one snapped off in the conservatory radiator.

One day I will get around to using the stud extractor kit to remove the errant bleeder and replace it with a new one.

Fortunately this can probably be done in situ, although I'll probably drain the rad completely, remove it from the wall, and take it outside and flush it through.  It's a long thin twin (2 m x 0.5 m) so I expect the PH will have to be employed to assist.

Talking of stud extractors, I found out yesterday that you can now get mini versions to remove woodscrews with chewed up heads.

I am disappointed with today's weather report: The rain arrived 4 minutes early:laugh_mini:.

Shortly I will sneak out to the garage and do some painting.

This will be a household task, but once in painting mode, might just be able to extend the session with some smaller brushes and 7 mm scale subject matter:mocking_mini:.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

When I was restoring the horse tram, every svrew had to be replaced. These were all 100 yr old steel slot heads. Most of the totally recalcitrant ones had to have their heads drilled out then the pieces of wood separated  before using mole grips to get the rest of the screw out.  I did a littlecphoto essay on the website and it became the most viewed item on the blog.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When I was restoring the horse tram, every svrew had to be replaced. These were all 100 yr old steel slot heads. Most of the totally recalcitrant ones had to have their heads drilled out then the pieces of wood separated  before using mole grips to get the rest of the screw out.  I did a littlecphoto essay on the website and it became the most viewed item on the blog.

Jamie

If the tram had oak as a structure, then removing the screws would have been akin to removing steel studs from concrete!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If the tram had oak as a structure, then removing the screws would have been akin to removing steel studs from concrete!

It was quite difficult. Most of the structure was ash with some pitch pine. In general the screws had wasted at the junction between the pieces of wood being joined.  The corner pillars (Ash)  were secured to the underframe (Pitch Pine) by 10" long 1/2" Whitworth bolts. At one end i used a Stilson to remove them. I expected them to twist and snap but to my surprise the head kept moving down. They had twisted through 180 degrees but the nuts came free and were reused. At the other end, which had been more exposed to weather they just twisted and snapped. Done up in 1898 and removed in 2006.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Not many people think of this, but if you want to remove a well-seated screw, it can often pay to tighten it before releasing it. An application of WD40 (other similar products may be available locally) before and after at both (if possible) ends of the joint will do no harm!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

The variable weather and the relatively low temperatures have not contributed to a very productive day at the Hippodrome.

I have done some painting and enlarged some hinge rebates for the new door hinges but apart from that I've lazed around although I did get around to making a loaf of multi-seed bread.

The trouble is a home made loaf in this house has a life expectancy of less than a 2Lt during the first day of the battle of the Somme.

Some railway related stuff might  occur this evening, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

First time I flew it was from Cardiff to Jersey in a Viscount operated by Cambrian Airways.

For a little boy they had big seats and even bigger windows which were great for observation.

However looking up the Viscount  on the Aviation Safety Network revealed the following statistics:

Vickers Viscount Statistics

Last updated: 9 October 2020

Hull-losses:144

Hull-loss accidents:131with a total of 1521 fatalities

Criminal occurrences (hull-losses, excl. hijackings):5with a total of 97 fatalities

Hijackings:13with a total of 18 fatalities

Survival rate:10.7%of all occupants survived fatal accidents

There were only 445 built!

I attended an Aircrew Survival Training Course at Boscombe Down some years ago; during the course we were shown pictures of the interior of the 737 following the Kegworth Air Disaster in 1989.

By all accounts the medics were surprised at the number of head injuries; the photos clearly show significant vee-notches in the headrests of many seats.  Why?  It was where the overhead lockers came down.  Worth bearing in mind when you're trying to get that bl00dy great bag in the locker directly above your head.

5 hours ago, BokStein said:

Not many people think of this, but if you want to remove a well-seated screw, it can often pay to tighten it before releasing it. An application of WD40 (other similar products may be available locally) before and after at both (if possible) ends of the joint will do no harm!

All the isolation valves in my house are opened up fully then closed down maybe 1/4 turn or so, for this very reason - it gives the option to turn the valve both ways in the event that it should sieze.  They're also operated every 6 months, with a squirt of spray oil on the shaft for good measure on occasion.

In other news:

Bear managed to get the rad bleed screw out :yahoo:Part of the problem was the bleed screw key - some versions actually have a square hole with a taper start , meaning the key doesn't grip the lowest part of the screw.  Using a different key having true parallel sides along the entire length enabled me to get the screw out - a new screw is on order via Ebay (five quid!!) as well as some new keys.

The system has been refilled, bled, and is now under a "stress test" to see if the new pipework is nicely leak free.  The new screw won't appear for a few days; when it does I'll drain the whole lot down again and refill, this time with inhibitor added.  A good day so far.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, polybear said:

The system has been refilled, bled, and is now under a "stress test" to see if the new pipework is nicely leak free.  The new screw won't appear for a few days; when it does I'll drain the whole lot down again and refill, this time with inhibitor added. 

I hope the pump was ok after the running on empty earlier.

Your mention of inhibitor has reminded me to order some. We have an inlet sludge collector that needs an occasional clean and it is recommended after cleaning it to refill it with inhibitor. I thought I had some but it appears not to be so. 
Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The first time I ever flew when going on holiday was Easter 1965 when Jill and I, aged 18, went to Jersey for a week (separate rooms of course as we weren't married :rolleyes:) and travelled from Liverpool in a BEA Viscount with silver service lunch on real china plates. Those were the days! On our return we were diverted to Manchester and were driven home in a limousine courtesy of the airline. How does it go, "The past is another place, they do things  differently there." 

The aim tomorrow is to spray the crane with red oxide primer and if possible to leave me and the cat the same colours as we are at present. We shall see......

Dave

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

Evening,

Another mildly successful day of karting today, front tires need replacing so it’s been sent off to a technician. A very rare and slightly fuzzy photo of me is below going down the straightaway. (Challenge for you all, try and find the one other photo of me on the forum, hint it’s on ERs:biggrin_mini2:). This afternoon was spent struggling with bleeding the brakes on one of the “vehicles requiring special insurance.” Tomorrow afternoon will contain the same thing. 

Douglas

600194ED-42BC-4703-8441-845913C01A7B.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Various things got done yesterday but I did spend some time in the shed which was productive. A couple of rodents were recycled as owl food and then I spent a pleasant hour starting to trial assemble the 4F valve gear. Things are starting to slot into place.  Good luck with the crane Dave,

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Various things got done yesterday but I did spend some time in the shed which was productive. A couple of rodents were recycled as owl food and then I spent a pleasant hour starting to trial assemble the 4F valve gear. Things are starting to slot into place.  Good luck with the crane Dave,

Jamie

I dislike getting the timing sorted on either piston valves or those slide valves which sit between the cylinders on inside driven locos.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I dislike getting the timing sorted on either piston valves or those slide valves which sit between the cylinders on inside driven locos.

I don't know if it's any help, but There is a book at Camden Books, by Yoder & Warren. These cover most of the different types of valve gear. There is also a Greenley book about gears over here. I'll have a look this evening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear's comment about backing a valve off a quarter of a turn is of course good engineering practice to stop them jamming up against the end of the thread.  There is (as always!) an exception, and that is refrigeration and A/C system valves, which are double seated to prevent gas loss through the gland, and are therefore opened fully tight.  Been a long time since I dealt with them!  Cascade type cargo systems on LPG carriers were the biggest examples.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

Morning,

Ah, first flights. Mine would have been on a Air New Zealand Boeing 747, from LAX (Los Angeles) to Auckland, in around 2008. Technically it would have been one of the planes that I took to get from Tulsa to LAX via Dallas, but I can’t remember those. The experience from memory was pretty terrible, incredibly cramped (economy class) with virtually no light and the food was worse than it is now days. It was also very very smelly, not from the toilets but of cleaning fluid and people in general.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening, ...snip... Challenge for you all, try and find the one other photo of me on the forum, hint it’s on ERs:biggrin_mini2:). ...snip...

Douglas

Something to do with a graduation, I think. :bye:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't resist this:
My first flight , as schoolboy passenger, was from Cardiff to Jersey on a DC3 and then a Heron (?) onto Alderney - delayed for 2 days (posh hotel - airline expense) due to the one before going sideways down the "Landing strip" at Alderney. On smooth arrival the fire fighting equipment looked rather rudimentary. Oddly and not planned another passenger was my bros' Godmother who had come from Coventry. My mother took some interest in the attention my father, sitting in a different row,  was getting from the Stewardess - it turned out she had been in one of my fathers confirmation classes at St Martins Roath.

A later flight was from Heathrow to Liverpool we, married 2 children, (together with Gerald Sinstadt etc) were the next flight out of Heathrow after the "Kegworth", having seen the passengers leaving the departure lounge. At some point the flight changed direction and more or less flew up the M1, after which the chatty crew became very much quieter. My memory is of the vast amount of traffic stopped on the M1, I suspect the pilot was deliberate flying over the incident so we couldn't see it. . Obviously the crew were reporting back on what they could see, hopefully assisting in getting the emergency services there. We only found out what had happened after arrival at L'pool.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4