Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Adverts this morning for Rotita ladies clothing and Gymshark mens clothing. I don't think the former would suit my figure as well as they suit the lady in question and I have no use for the latter.

Jamie

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A gymshark sounds like the sort of man ladies would rather not meet while exercising. 

Can't be as good as GymHippo:  For the ladies who want someone to have a crush on them!

In other news there is a cull going on in the workshop.

Bag of old phone chargers:  Binned

Lengths of electrical flex with mounded plugs fitted:  Fuses removed and binned.

Old electrical equipment that's failed a PAT and was retained as potential spares:  Binned.

Bag of old CDs that had been in the old workshop for years and then transferred into the new one: Binned.

Small bits of Code 124 rail (lots of it) that was probably too small to make a check rail: Binned.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bag of old phone chargers:  Binned

As I'm reading your post, I'm looking  at the collection of phone chargers I have. I have thought about keeping these chargers back, to see if I can use them for LV lighting such as signals & buildings, etc. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh that I could bring myself to be so ruthless - actually finding space to stand in my cave is getting difficult.  I did begin to clear a shelf or two a few weeks ago, and binned my collection of old bike spark plugs.  two weeks later, I needed a particular plug to swap (DR8ES-L if you must know!) in a fault finding exercise....bah!  Had to go all the way to the Big City to buy a new one.  No it wasn't the problem (although it was worn to be fair) - bah again!

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh that I could bring myself to be so ruthless - actually finding space to stand in my cave is getting difficult.  I did begin to clear a shelf or two a few weeks ago, and binned my collection of old bike spark plugs.  two weeks later, I needed a particular plug to swap (DR8ES-L if you must know!) in a fault finding exercise....bah!  Had to go all the way to the Big City to buy a new one.  No it wasn't the problem (although it was worn to be fair) - bah again!

NGK, I presume?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

As I'm reading your post, I'm looking  at the collection of phone chargers I have. I have thought about keeping these chargers back, to see if I can use them for LV lighting such as signals & buildings, etc. 

How many do you need for such?

This is what I ended up asking myself.

I already have at least two wall warts with varying voltage.

SWS has a dedicated power supply for the points signals and the layout lighting. It has enough spare capacity to run any amount of lighting for buildings etc.

Of course, as Neil has already related, I'm sure that in about 3 weeks time I will find an urgent need for them.

Now what do I do with the old mincer I found under the bench?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 19/10/2020 at 06:57, jamie92208 said:

On the subject of food, the experimental batch of sticky biscuits got finished last night.  She's planning another batch now that will have to be quality controlled. It's a hard life.

Jamie

:mad:

Bears have a v-e-r-y long memory......

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A recently-retired vacuum cleaner has yielded a charger. Sadly it puts out 31.5 volts, and I have no idea what I might use that for! 

A 31.5 volt supply?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the wall-wart phone chargers. Yes, we've got a bucketload of redundant chargers here. I'm loath to chuck them because:-

A, I'm a hopeless hoarder,

B, I know sooner or later I'll find a need for one,

C,  It's nice on the off-chance, to give someone, something, that they really need. It costs nothing, and it earns many more Brownie points than the value of the item. One of my mentors had a catch phrase "I've got that in stock" and a request would see the late Malcolm Rowe disappear, to return from his 'stores'  with the correct item.  He was a brilliant person to know, and as he said "it'll come around"... I'd like to think some of his philosophy has rubbed off on me.

"Something's earned, and something's learned..."   

• Like 7

Knock knock, twas neighbour from a couple of doors down. He is a very good carpenter by trade and his double garage would put many woodworking shops to shame. Off to the tip, I see you've put some stuff out back. I don't have a full load, want me to take it?  Oh hell yes please. Saved us a trip. A return visit from us with a small bag containing a few beers is planned. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A call shortly before our evening meal from our friend Barbara, the pickle and preserve queen, requesting jam jars will result in a trip later on for me to deliver.  The big advantage with this arrangement is that we'll get quite a few back.

Up (the lane) empties and down loaded:  I don't think Barbara is knowingly an enthusiast of S Wales Valleys freight work.

Neither is her husband, but we seem to spend some time drinking various malt whisky brands and chatting .

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

Evening,

School inspected, nowt to report on that front.

The big news is I had a tour of the clock repairers workshops today. It was most interesting, they have a massive stock, with some very old clocks. Even a few maritime clocks, which somehow made their way inland to Oklahoma. A new key was acquired for our house clock, and a bottle of clock oil was also acquired. Apparently the completely random event of a teenager coming to them with a 108 year old clockwork train made quite an impression on them! Speaking of said train, its rebuild, which they are doing, is due to start very soon. 

Douglas

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It was raining this morning, so I got to work with a pencil and some paint washes.

805493155_Brakevans.jpg.994d2dd494791a168831f86714b6b9c2.jpg

The top van needs finishing off with a bit more dirt  and some more rust spots around some of the rivets I missed the first time around as this tends to happen when working sans lorgnette.  I also need to replace the wheels which were taken out to paint separately.

The bottom van was a Dapol factory reject as it was missing a  handrail (back right above the ballast weight).

This needs some transfers and  then similar treatment to tone down the pristine finish.

• Like 5