Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just finished watching the Wales v France rugby match.

The best team won, with some excellent, typically French tries.

Wales would have done much better if Wayne Pivac had insisited on Dan Biggar coming off at half time.

Biggar is a good player, but the injury to his right leg in the first half came back with a vengeance in the second, when Biggar was incapable of kicking accurately.

Rhys Patchell seems to play second fiddle to a lot of Welsh players, and it's a pity he was only put on with just over 5 minutes to go. Not enough time to make a difference.

Looking at the game hyper-critically, I think that  Dan Biggar, Alan Wyn Jones and Taulupe Faletau are in their last season in the international squad.

I’ll pretend like I understood all that:biggrin_mini2:.

Anyways, the dimensions of the interior of the smokebox are 5 1/2 cm tall, 4 cm wide, and 4 3/4 cm long, (i.e. length from boiler end to smokebox door).

Douglas

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a drop of Penderyn Legend too, not primarily because Wales lost but because I don't like cognac. Coincidentally we had  Chianto Classisco with dinner so it looks like I'm firmly in the losing camp at present. Must make sure I get stuck into some Lagavulin soon :P

Night night all.

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've just had a drop of Penderyn Legend too, not primarily because Wales lost but because I don't like cognac. Coincidentally we had  Chianto Classisco with dinner so it looks like I'm firmly in the losing camp at present. Must make sure I get stuck into some Lagavulin soon :P

Night night all.

Dave

I must introduce you to Monsieur  Balluet's finest. Not at all like the rubbish that the big 3 overcharge for. It needs serious study. Uncle T has a complaint about it though. It's so nice his Mrs likes it as well.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

My initial thoughts are the lubricator as you have planned it will not be up to the job.

This one might be the answer, its for the Mamod marine engine, and is just barely small enough to fit inside the smokebox. However the threads might be a problem. https://www.ministeam.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=lubricator&PN=In-Line-Lubricator-Mamod_Marine_3.html#SID=450

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This one might be the answer, its for the Mamod marine engine, and is just barely small enough to fit inside the smokebox. However the threads might be a problem. https://www.ministeam.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=lubricator&PN=In-Line-Lubricator-Mamod_Marine_3.html#SID=450

I suspect the pipe required for the inlet and outlet would be 1/8" dia. So you would need to sleeve the inlet down. You might get away with 1/8" out as you mentioned the reversing block took that size pipe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect the pipe required for the inlet and outlet would be 1/8" dia. So you would need to sleeve the inlet down. You might get away with 1/8" out as you mentioned the reversing block took that size pipe.

The whole system uses 1/8 inch pipe, will that help? I would be blocking off one end and attaching it to the t piece.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

In a word, yes.

I have just asked the supplier what the threads are so we should know tomorrow, or by monday.

I did come up with what may be another ridiculous plan, which would involve flipping the street elbow connected to the t-piece downard, and screwing the longest piece of copper pipe that will fit (blocked off at one end) into said elbow. It should according to my research work a bit like a displacement lubricator. Not sure if it would work though.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

Another scheme would be to use the PM Research lubricator and chop the bottom drain valve assembly off, including threads. That is my favored plan as it would allow me to have an oil feed valve. The photo below shows what that would look like, in theory it would lose almost an inch in height.

Douglas

IMG_1447.jpg

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I have just asked the supplier what the threads are so we should know tomorrow, or by monday.

I did come up with what may be another ridiculous plan, which would involve flipping the street elbow connected to the t-piece downard, and screwing the longest piece of copper pipe that will fit (blocked off at one end) into said elbow. It should according to my research work a bit like a displacement lubricator. Not sure if it would work though.

I cannot see how you would prevent the lubricator dumping it's entire contents through the regulator block and cylinders in less than a minute unless you have some form of restrictor in place. 

The No 74 hole in the pipe, or a fine needle valve will give you this, but the name displacement lubricator should give you some idea of how it works:  Steam enters the lubricator and condenses it sinks to the bottom of the tank and  oil is displaced back into the steam line. Dumping too much oil at once could lead to carbonisation in the steam pipe if you planned on running it through  a coil in the burner area to pick up some extra heat.

I would avoid a lubricator mounted  on a spur off the main steam flow.  Theoretically they should work, but they are not as predictable in performance terms as a through flow lubricator:  Probably why Accucraft, Roundhouse, Aster and the like all use them on their commercial live steam offerings.

I think bed is now called for.  I have to be up in the morning (later).

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’ll pretend like I understood all that:biggrin_mini2:.

Douglas

I'd not worry too much - welcome to a very large club.... :)

Never could understand Rugby - hated having to play it at school.  ISTR the games teacher gave up trying after a while and let us play footie instead.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I'd not worry too much - welcome to a very large club.... :)

Never could understand Rugby - hated having to play it at school.  ISTR the games teacher gave up trying after a while and let us play footie instead.

The difference being that one is a game for hooligans but played by gentlemen of impeccable breeding, physique and stamina.

The other is played by a bunch of overpaid drama queens.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks very much to both of you and particularly Bill. I presume that it was taken when the loco was still allocated to the Western Region. A pring or file of the scan would be very much appreciated. I think that my modelling skills may have advanced slightly in the 25 years since I bought my first 0 Gauge loco kit. It's in the box so in due course it will run.  I just need to make 16 anhydrite hoppers for which there is no kit, but I have a drawing.

No modelling today but time was spent in the shed. Another 35 or so aq metres of floor were cleared and sealed. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon they will get painted.  However as the section that I've cleared contains both the door and the entrance to the modelling room I won't be able to reach the brnch till it's dry.

Jamie

Up freight on Shap, August 1967.  There doesn't seem to be a banker.  Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Up freight on Shap, August 1967.  There doesn't seem to be a banker.  Bill

Must have been in it's time at Kingmoor then. However  I've now had another look at the photo and it has a BR1C tender so that confirms Kingmoor.  As to the banker, they weren't generally  used anywhere southbound as the northern approach to Shap is much better graded than the southern approach with it's 4 miles of 1 in 75 that was only meant to be temporary  until a tunnel could be built.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The difference being that one is a game for hooligans but played by gentlemen of impeccable breeding, physique and stamina.

The other is played by a bunch of overpaid drama queens.

Douglas, actually fourteen gentlemen of impeccable breeding and a hooker.  Bill

• Funny 7

17 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’ll pretend like I understood all that:biggrin_mini2:

Douglas

Translation for people Stateside.

The cheese eating surrender monkeys scored five touchdowns!

Beating Wales Dragons United who only scored two.

Something like that. No one in Britain follows or understands it either.....

:prankster:

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Translation for people Stateside.

The cheese eating surrender monkeys scored five touchdowns!

Beating Wales Dragons United who only scored two.

Something like that. No one in Britain follows or understands it either.....

:prankster:

I’m an All Blacks fan, so was hiding it all along.

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

fine needle valve will

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

on a spur off the main steam flow. 

After the post that you saw I came up with the idea of using a PM Research displacement lubricator with needle valve. I would unfortunately have to cut off the draining plug and threads, in order to fit it in the smokebox. With regards to an in-line lubricator, there simply isn’t the space to use one. That may be a problem, but on miniature stationary engines lubricators mounted on spurs are quite common, but then again that’s a stationary engine 

Douglas

AD2C3F8D-350F-45B4-8B80-E8DA49AF346C.jpeg

This was interesting. My city has a semblance of river flowing through it, but is almost completely dry most of the year. So the “council” has decided to dam part of the river next to our world class park and downtown, to make the area more attractive. Here we see the preliminary excavations, a very interesting a sight!

As you can see, quite a bit of water has built up already. The dam is being built just in front of the bridge. Said bridge was built in IRC 1917, and carried the Midland Valley Railroad to the west. Now it’s disconnected from the east bank, and was converted 20 years ago for pedestrian traffic, however the tracks remain. It isn’t been used for pedestrian traffic in 4 years though, as its connecting point for east bank was demolished to make way for the park. 

Douglas

9AD28DD9-A6AF-494D-B52E-4442B0B3451A.jpeg

B09ABB04-B96E-4B4C-917C-7FD8D6884CE6.jpeg

BA759E83-90DF-4FF4-AD70-DC6E1D46F97B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My city has a semblance of river flowing through it, but is almost completely dry most of the year.

Was it discussed peacefully with downstream towns? I was reading about Egypt getting cross with Ethiopia damming a source of the Nile. I only found out about this following the reporting of a comment by the current US President. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

After the post that you saw I came up with the idea of using a PM Research displacement lubricator with needle valve. I would unfortunately have to cut off the draining plug and threads, in order to fit it in the smokebox. With regards to an in-line lubricator, there simply isn’t the space to use one. That may be a problem, but on miniature stationary engines lubricators mounted on spurs are quite common, but then again that’s a stationary engine 

Douglas

AD2C3F8D-350F-45B4-8B80-E8DA49AF346C.jpeg

The late Eddie Cooke built a between frames 5/8" diameter lubricator body that was fed by a 1/16" pipe off the steam feed to the regulator.  It also had a drain plug which exited just under the front drag beam allowing the lubricator to be easily drained.  I have the drawing if you want a copy.  In fact you might try and get hold of '7mm Live Steam:  The Eddie Cooke Articles' of which a great deal is devoted into converting a B/L Mogul from a pot boilered racing snake to a controllable high pressure and internally fired steam locomotive. (You only do the mods you need, but long term it's a great way to improve your skill set regarding live steam locomotives and stationary power plants.)

At some stage you are going to have to bite the bullet and get yourself a small lathe and either a separate milling machine or a milling vice you can fit to the cross slide of the lathe.  Making your own custom parts would be so much easier than trying to pay a not inconsiderable sum for a component and then having to hack it around to make it fit for purpose.

The book's ISBN is 0-9503217-05-4

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1