NEW: Digitrax DT602 Advanced Super Throttle

Following on from the significant update to their entry level Zephyr DCC system, in January last year, Digitrax have announced the DT602 Advanced Super Throttle.

Along with a radical change in design and styling, the DT 602 enhances some of the improvements introduced on the 2019 DCS52 Zephyr Express.

Product_Shot_jpg_2000x2000_q85.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Digitrax throttle gets "sexed up". Having DT4xx, DT5xx and UT4 throttles I'm not sure upgrading brings me many benefits, but the lack of shaving capability is not actually a disincentive here. . 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Digitrax have now announced their new "Evolution Express Advanced" starter set, in 2 versions, tethered (EVOX) and Duplex radio (EVOXD) versions.

It includes either a DT 602 or a DT 602 D/DE handset, depending on which version of the starter set you choose.

All the old starter system (i.e. complete system) line-up has been discontinued.

The only other complete system they now sell, is the entry level DCS-52  Zephyr Express.

https://www.digitrax.com/news/2020/07/15/digitrax-inc-proud-announce-new-evolution-express-/

https://www.digitrax.com/products/starter-sets/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Courtybella said:

Is this equipment compatible with DCC Concepts equipment please?

Thanks.

What do you mean by compatible? It's a throttle. It works with Digitrax command stations, maybe others. It is compliant with NMRA standards, so it will run trains and operate accessories using NMRA-compliant decoders. 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Very disappointed you cannot change the function keys to momentary for whistles etc and stuck with just one on F2. 

This is a US product. F2 has been a non-latching key on every US throttle for more than 20 years. Only a very small number of users would want to change that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

What do you mean by compatible? It's a throttle. It works with Digitrax command stations, maybe others. It is compliant with NMRA standards, so it will run trains and operate accessories using NMRA-compliant decoders. 

I plan on using DCC concepts equipment for my signal and point control, and Digitrax for my track power/train control.

would this cause any problems ?

Shame as I had hoped it would be programmable like some other handsets. 

To release a handset that claims to be advanced it does not quite make it for me and an opportunity missed for Digitrax 

Users are missing out on all the functionality on offer from DCC 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Courtybella said:

I plan on using DCC concepts equipment for my signal and point control, and Digitrax for my track power/train control.

NMRA compliance is all that is needed to reassure you that kit will work together. To the best of my knowledge, all Richard Johnson's kit at DCC Concepts is designed to be compliant. If you contact DCC Concepts I'm sure they'll be pleased to confirm this. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, two tone green said:

Shame as I had hoped it would be programmable like some other handsets. 

To release a handset that claims to be advanced it does not quite make it for me and an opportunity missed for Digitrax 

Daft q, not owning a 602, have you tried https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB730/dt400-series-throttles-make-f2-latching-or-non-lat/ on both F2 and on another F# ?

Not sure that it will work, but worth a try...

James

3 hours ago, Courtybella said:

It shouldn't be a problem, but there are different ways of using the DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha (point and signal control), depending on what you want.

1. If you only wish to operate points and signals from the DCC Concepts kit, e.g. via a mimic control panel, individual switches, point levers etc;   and don't ever intend using the Digitrax throttle for this purpose, then there's no need to even have the two systems connected.

In this scenario, point and signal control can be a stand alone DCC operation, regardless of whatever DCC system you are using for driving trains (it can even be used with DC train control).

In other words, compatibility between the Digitrax system (train control) and DCC Concepts system (points and signal control) is not required and is a non-issue.

2. However, if you wish to have the facility to also switch points and signals from the Digitrax system throttles, then the DCC Concepts equipment can work with the Digitrax system, but you'll need the appropriate DCC Concepts' adapters and a more expensive Alpha Box module included in the mix.

With some other makes of DCC system, there's more flexibility.

For example, the DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha kit, can plug in and work directly with NCE systems....

....and DCC systems with "Sniffer" inputs (e.g. ESU ECoS and Roco Z21) can accept Cobalt Alpha control signals via the DCC Concepts DCD-SNX "sniffer" module.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peach james said:

Daft q, not owning a 602, have you tried https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB730/dt400-series-throttles-make-f2-latching-or-non-lat/ on both F2 and on another F# ?

Not sure that it will work, but worth a try...

James

Thanks for that James. Will investigate. 

1 hour ago, two tone green said:

Thanks for that James. Will investigate. 

Just tried it, does not work but just found out that if you hold the power button down a white LED lights up at the top edge of the handset. Would rather have configurable function keys. 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, two tone green said:

With F0-F29 available, plus control of two locos at once, and control of switches/points etc, which functionality are you missing out on?

I believe TCS now has a throttle that works with most proprietary systems. It seems eight buttons are configurable. Is this what you need?

Most European makers of throttles, and just about all the "smart phone" throttles allow the user to configure whether each key is latching or non-latching, usually on a per-loco basis.    So, loco-1 has FnKey5 latching, loco-2 has non-latching., etc..   Different users, different types of loco, etc.. might have different needs for latching or non-latching functions.   

Most US makers of throttles go for "F2 can be (or is, compulsory) non-latching, or perhaps F3 can be non-latching as well" and its a setting which applies to all locos controlled on that throttle.    (I've not checked the TCS throttle features).  

I think that Digitrax have missed a small trick with the DT602 in not offering the degree of key customisation which has been normal on European throttle designs for more than a decade. 

Compare the customisation on the DT602 with that on the Uhlenbrock DaisyII, which is now around 8/9 years old as a design.  Both are LocoNet.  The Daisy offers per-loco customising of key latching, icons to prompt function key type, attaching loco names and pictogram of loco to address,  pictograms of accessory address (left/right turnouts, different symbols for signals, etc..), end user can create their own icons and pictograms.    Whilst they work to control locos and turnouts on either maker's systems,  the programming features only work on their respective maker's command stations.   

- Nigel

• Like 2

Fully agree with you Nigel. I have two Daisy 2 throttles and far superior to the Digitrax one for the reasons you state. 

American / Digitrax users are missing out on what DCC has to offer. 

The back of the 602 does look a bit cheap due to either the moulding or the material used. 

17 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It shouldn't be a problem, but there are different ways of using the DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha (point and signal control), depending on what you want.

1. If you only wish to operate points and signals from the DCC Concepts kit, e.g. via a mimic control panel, individual switches, point levers etc;   and don't ever intend using the Digitrax throttle for this purpose, then there's no need to even have the two systems connected.

In this scenario, point and signal control can be a stand alone DCC operation, regardless of whatever DCC system you are using for driving trains (it can even be used with DC train control).

In other words, compatibility between the Digitrax system (train control) and DCC Concepts system (points and signal control) is not required and is a non-issue.

2. However, if you wish to have the facility to also switch points and signals from the Digitrax system throttles, then the DCC Concepts equipment can work with the Digitrax system, but you'll need the appropriate DCC Concepts' adapters and a more expensive Alpha Box module included in the mix.

With some other makes of DCC system, there's more flexibility.

For example, the DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha kit, can plug in and work directly with NCE systems....

....and DCC systems with "Sniffer" inputs (e.g. ESU ECoS and Roco Z21) can accept Cobalt Alpha control signals via the DCC Concepts DCD-SNX "sniffer" module.

That’s great thanks for the explanation, I do intend to keep them totally separate so as you say there shouldn’t be an issue which  is great news. 

• Like 1

After the comment above about the new TCS controller I had a look online at it and it does look superior to the 602D for many reasons. 

I think I will sell my 602 and go for the TCS one. https://tcsdcc.com/UWT-100

Anyone want a 602 complete with rechargeable battery as good as new. 

Edited by two tone green