NEW: Digitrax DT602 Advanced Super Throttle

On 10/10/2020 at 08:42, two tone green said:

After the comment above about the new TCS controller I had a look online at it and it does look superior to the 602D for many reasons. 

I think I will sell my 602 and go for the TCS one. https://tcsdcc.com/UWT-100

There has recently been a major upgrade released for the UWT-100 - for details see https://tcsdcc.com/UWT-100_R2_0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a digitrax dcs200 and the new dt602de. I also run digital cobalts and original cobalts. With my dt402 (now defunct) I was able to programme these and some ad-8fx decoders (dccconcepts) however the 602de absolutely refuses to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, simonbaker1966 said:

I have a digitrax dcs200 and the new dt602de. I also run digital cobalts and original cobalts. With my dt402 (now defunct) I was able to programme these and some ad-8fx decoders (dccconcepts) however the 602de absolutely refuses to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Either read the Digitrax group on groups.io,  or talk to your supplying dealer for the throttle.   I've not been closely following the details, but there appears to be several updates to the firmware in the throttles, which can be installed by the end-user.  

On 28/01/2021 at 20:12, simonbaker1966 said:

can you give more details? also is the throttle on the lastest firmware?

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

Finding a Digitrax dealer in mainland Europe with the EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set (with 602 throttle) on stock is proving tricky.

The US DCC manufacturers don’t really have much presence (if any presence at all)  in the mainland European market.

The U.K. is a bit of an outpost for them.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can anyone please let me have pros and cons between this and a Lenz 101 start set ?

Ideally I would be able to try both systems for myself, but given the current Covid circumstances this has not

been possible.

I have tried a friends Z21 and whilst I like the loco’s being shown on screen along with icons for

sound functions, the lack of physical control knob and problems with WiFi have ruled this out.

With thanks.

It is a shame Digitrax is still stuck in the old ways of doing things and I suspect it won’t change in a long time with them missing out on what DCC can do. 

They still have a fixed function allocation so you cannot pick what goes where on the 602. 

Function 2 is the only momentary function and they seem to expect function 3 to be a bell. So if you have anything different you are going to find it difficult to change the way things are set up.

I have the DT602 and regret buying it. You need a LNWI to use it as a remote hand set although you can still plug it in. Shame it does not use ‘conventional’ Wi-fi. Opportunity missed. 

Better handsets out there especially if you want to have the chance to configure things the way you want. 

It has a cheap plastic feel to it as well, odd hard to describe but it feels cheap. 

Edited by two tone green

17 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi,

Can anyone please let me have pros and cons between this and a Lenz 101 start set ?

Ideally I would be able to try both systems for myself, but given the current Covid circumstances this has not

been possible.

I have tried a friends Z21 and whilst I like the loco’s being shown on screen along with icons for

sound functions, the lack of physical control knob and problems with WiFi have ruled this out.

With thanks.

Have you considered of the Z21 black wireless LANMaus?  It has a rotary knob and function buttons, and can control turnouts.  

Peterfgf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

……….I have tried a friends Z21 and whilst I like the loco’s being shown on screen along with icons for

sound functions, the lack of physical control knob and problems with WiFi have ruled this out.…..

As peterfgf says, you can use Roco’s  WLAN (wireless) MultiMaus handset, with a physical control knob and real buttons.

The Z21 also can be used with the tethered (wired) version of the MultiMaus handset.

So you are not limited to a touch screen interface to control your trains.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.1e2143b9542aec2efe61c42fc01c349d.jpeg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

l had considered using the Multimaus, but as well as the extra expense the problems with a WiFi signal

where my layout is located mean that benefits of the Z21 would be lost.

As I understand it, the Z21 comes with its own WiFi router, so you put that beside the Z21.    It doesn't need access to the "outside internet".  

As further alternative handsets, there are the TCS wireless models.

-  Nigel

1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi,

I have tried the Z21 with its router, but signal drops off !

Does the TCS have a tethered option do you know ?

Thanks.

Your setup must be weird, because a router beside the Z21 should give a signal over a decent area.  

Read up what TCS are offering.  Don't just "buy something".  It uses either the NMRA layout control bus mechanisms, or the WiThrottle mechanisms.   The latter originates in the JMRI software, but is also available in some hardware devices.  

- Nigel

TBH, the handset looks a mess & nowhere near as ergonomic to use a Multimaus or Prodigy.

Then again I've always thought that Digitrax Equipment looks like a kit from the departed Maplins.

Edited by SamThomas
Typo.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

TBH, the handset looks a mess & nowhere near as ergonomic to use a Multimaus or Prodigy.

Then again I've always thought that Digitrax Equipment looks like a kit from the departed Maplins.

Think what you like. I love my DT602D. Does what it says on the tin, and better than the DT402D before it. Which was better than the DT100/200 generation I used before that. Pick it up, two clicks and the layout is alive. 

2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Ergonomically and in terms of useability, the DT602 is a massive improvement  on their previous, cluttered throttles.

I don't use Digitrax myself, but I've read a lot of comment from Digitrax users in the US and despite complaints about some early software bugs, it generally gets a very good rating.

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Think what you like. I love my DT602D. Does what it says on the tin, and better than the DT402D before it. Which was better than the DT100/200 generation I used before that. Pick it up, two clicks and the layout is alive. 

We are all different & if it works for you that's all that matters. It just seems a bit haphazard to me compared with most European handsets.

BTW - with the Multimaus it's one click to start.