Short platforms and the pandemic

Because many weeks ago trains were for essential workers only, and there are none of those at Sugar Loaf. From 6th July, although TfW and others are still advising essential travel only, the service uplift means it is inevitable that leisure travel will increase and it can't be handled safely via one door. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On Ynys Mon the council has stated that the stations are used by workers, though they didn't say essential. I agree Sugar Loaf is not a problem.

Could part of the problem be that they seem to be using 153s instead of 150s on some services, and the doors are farther apart? This has been reported more than once.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2020 at 10:31, tanatvalley said:

There are several halts on the Dovey Junction to Pwllheli line, some short such as Tygwyn. It appears not to apply on this line.

It does. Stations closed include Tygwyn, Llandanwg, Llanbedr, Abererch, Llanaber.

Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And not related to this, trains are not running on the southern [part of the Heart of Wales line because of bridge damage: "Structural damage to the bridge between Llangennech and Pontarddulais means it is unsafe for trains to pass over the bridge."

I couldn't find mention on the journey planner of the stations closed because they have short platforms.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Broadening the topic, the railway are being destroyed. I live near to the London to Plymouth main line. Virtually every train has been completely empty since the end of March. Yet today the M5 and A303 were Jammed to a standstill. There has been a massive transfer from rail to cars and I don't see it changing any time soon.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Last week I made my first (essential) journeys by train since mid-March, and given that restrictions are slowly being lifted I could not believe how quiet they were, even the London Underground. I saw a report in the Independent newspaper that Government subsidy to keep the trains running is £40 million.......per day ! I am becoming very concerned about future of our railways generally, and the level of service provided in particular.The repeated, insistent instructions from the railway industry to not even think about taking a train will result IMHO in it taking a long time for passenger confidence, and therefore numbers, to return to anywhere near pre-Covid levels.

• Agree 2

Depends on the route. Northern services on core routes have been increasingly "Full to SD limit" and "Full full" in the last couple of weeks, and the "Out of Use" seat covers are coming off this week apart from those units where the conductor has to work from a set of saloon doors. It will take time but they'll be back, leisure travel possibly less so. 

The thing is people aren't stupid. The vast majority know that lifting lockdown doesn't mean it's gone away, it means there's now room for you in ICU.   

• RMweb Premium

Recent trends in train design have been along the lines of pack them in like sardines. Wonder if covid will provoke a rethink. Will HS2 trains pack in the planned number of passengers? Now is the time to think about it.

Other countries have managed things differently. By going in hard when it appeared and doing so if it flares up again they've kept a relatively normal life. South Korea for example. Here they're talking about a worse second wave. They should be learning from elsewhere and getting their act together.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend asked why, with two car units as used on the Cambrian Coast line, it is not possible to use the doors in adjacent vehicles to provide entry and exit. Both would be opposite the platform even on the shortest ones such as Sugarloaf. Any thoughts?

Jonathan 

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have only just come across this topic.

When operating both preplanned and emergency rail replacement bus services, they still are required to serve temporarily closed stations.

The photo was taken on route from Shrewsbury to Llanwrtyd at crossgates which there was no passengers on at the time.

IMG_20200716_141906.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2