Dapol Announce New Batch of N Gauge MK3 DVT's including Sets

sc2016

I have noticed that Dapol have announced today (03/07/2020) a new batch of MK3 DVT’s and Sets in N gauge.

The four items that have been announced are:

• 2D-017-003 – DVT 82115 in BR Blue
  • 2D-017-004 – DVT 82124 in Network Rail Yellow
  • 2D-017-100 – DB Management Train 4 Piece Rolling Stock Set
  • 2D-017-101 – Chiltern Railways 8 Piece Slam Door Set with DVT

Expected Qtr1 2021.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A good announcement - been wanting a NR DVT for ages. The DB management train will be nice too; presumably this will include the sleeper!

As for the Chiltern slam-door set, this is an interesting offering, especially being presented as an eight item set - not one for me, but will potentially prove whether the apparent appetite for Chiltern mk3s is real.... I was always amazed that Wrexham and Shropshire proved so popular, so perhaps this shifts too.... nice that one of the more ‘niche’ [smaller] franchises is given a chance by a manufacturer, but i note still nothing for Greater Anglia, who had a large fleet of mk3+DVT.... just sayin’ (no skin in that game on my part)....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, JR_P said:

A good announcement - been wanting a NR DVT for ages. The DB management train will be nice too; presumably this will include the sleeper!

As for the Chiltern slam-door set, this is an interesting offering, especially being presented as an eight item set - not one for me, but will potentially prove whether the apparent appetite for Chiltern mk3s is real.... I was always amazed that Wrexham and Shropshire proved so popular, so perhaps this shifts too.... nice that one of the more ‘niche’ [smaller] franchises is given a chance by a manufacturer, but i note still nothing for Greater Anglia, who had a large fleet of mk3+DVT.... just sayin’ (no skin in that game on my part)....

From Hattons site:

1 x Mk3a FO, 1 x Mk3a RFM and 1 x Mk3a SLEP in BR maroon and 1 x Mk3 DVT in DB silver

• RMweb Gold

This is good news in every way - except just done 82115 in rail blue on an old resin body from long ago. The DB train is long overdue and with the sleeper a brilliant "shoe- in." 

The Chiltern set DVT will hopefully be the odd man with the blue body and thin white stripe- I have one part done so making this a certainty!  Makes good use of the MK3 tooling as well.   

I dream of a euromillions win to commission tooling for the plug doors !!    

The rate of new livery options at the moment makes me wonder if home working for Dapol team has been uber productive during lockdown... not saying  every cloud has a silver lining but .

Just hope enough n gauge money available in the market place - these prices are certainly keen .

Robert  

I’m also looking forward to this release, I’m looking to buy the DB management set. I plan to run it in conjunction with my 2 Mk3 Stag sleepers from KMS railtech, with the explanation that DB needed some extra sleeper coaches for a touring trip with some top executives, and leased the 2 mk3s from CS, who sent the 2 stag livery examples to give a good impression to the visiting executives.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 15:15, JR_P said:

but i note still nothing for Greater Anglia, who had a large fleet of mk3+DVT.... just sayin’ (no skin in that game on my part)....

I wonder if the lack of Anglia is due to no locos for it - they did an intercity and virgin DVT to go with the 86,  they have already done the management train 67 and DVT In EWS and the 67 in DB on its own, the Chiltern Mk3 set will go with the 68's. But Anglia used 90's with the Mk3's and DVT's which is non existent in N gauge, perhaps Dapol could make the 90 to complete the set

On 06/07/2020 at 14:04, Ed-farms said:

I wonder if the lack of Anglia is due to no locos for it - they did an intercity and virgin DVT to go with the 86,  they have already done the management train 67 and DVT In EWS and the 67 in DB on its own, the Chiltern Mk3 set will go with the 68's. But Anglia used 90's with the Mk3's and DVT's which is non existent in N gauge, perhaps Dapol could make the 90 to complete the set

Correct me if I am wrong but the Class 90 has been done by Graham Farish, not sure about liveries or how recently released or how well. This I would suggest would deter Dapol from doing a class 90 as Graham Farish could quickly release some.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2020 at 15:15, JR_P said:

But I note still nothing for Greater Anglia, who had a large fleet of mk3+DVT.... just sayin’ (no skin in that game on my part)....

There's no GA locos on the market. Graham Farish's Class 90 is old and IMHO quite basic and full of errors. It's not a model that can be improved with a little work. It's something that needs a complete retool, and being a Bachmann product at the end of the day, we have no idea when we'll get one.

It's been a good few years since we last saw some of them anyway.

I wish Dapol would take on the Class 87 and Class 90 in N scale, since the Class 86, 87 and 90 all share the same wheelsbase, they can be smart about it and create a brand new chassis that fits all. In the process they will get an updated chassis for the Class 86 as well.

19 hours ago, Tricky-CRS said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the Class 90 has been done by Graham Farish, not sure about liveries or how recently released or how well. This I would suggest would deter Dapol from doing a class 90 as Graham Farish could quickly release some.

You're not wrong about that... but the last ones produced were a few years ago. And TBH they aren't anywhere near the standards we expect these days. It needs a re-tool, it really needs to be done from scratch. Graham Farish or Dapol really need to do a Class 87 and a Class 90.

Though seeing how amazing the Class 68 was from Dapol, I'd rather have Dapol do it than Graham Farish.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

20 hours ago, Tricky-CRS said:

The 90 from Farish is an old tooling so not up to modern standards, IF Farish were to do more 90's it would undergo a complete retooling first. To be fair Farish did an A3, A4, 33, Western,  HST and 57XX Pannier amongst others yet Dapol did them

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

The 90 from Farish is an old tooling so not up to modern standards, IF Farish were to do more 90's it would undergo a complete retooling first. To be fair Farish did an A3, A4, 33, Western,  HST and 57XX Pannier amongst others yet Dapol did them

Though given Bachmann's 00 90 on the way, I'd be rather cautious if I were Dapol, and hit the 87 first for which Bachmann haven't got CAD that could be repurposed relatively quickly and for which Hornby (probably) have no intention.

• RMweb Premium

My comment about the GA mk3 sets was just a throw away comment and indeed it seems we are all clear why Dapol haven’t done that livery, ie. no appropriate traction to pull it - that much is clear.

The somewhat off-topic discussion about the 90 (apologies for spawning that!) is an interesting one - at this point in time, I now feel Farish [Bachmann] is the natural candidate for a variety of reasons.

About a year ago, I did try really hard to convince Ben and Mike at Revolution it could be done before Bachmann could even react!.... that was Spring 2019 and even then we concluded that whilst the reward could be huge, the risk was also substantial - since then, Bachmann have now moved to this new manner of announcing things once they are basically ready to release - as a consequence the risk factor for others is now overwhelming and I think any alternative manufacturer taking on a 90 exposes themselves financially because Bachmann could just swan along and drop a bombshell that they have a brand new 90 arriving in shops later that quarter.... 

Whilst the N gauge market could probably accommodate a duplicated model such as the 90 (mainly because of the livery varieties), both models’ total sales volume would be diminished so both manufacturers suffer.

While I have no doubt that Dapol (to their 68 standard) and Revolution would do equally as good a job as Farish, it just seems almost implausible that Bachmann aren’t planning for it; they have the legacy model, they have CAD in OO and now they have this new ‘cards to their chest’ approach which gives them an edge - ‘will they, won’t they’....???!

Bachmann's Achilles heel is the Kader production throughput.... but that can be mitigated by not announcing until it’s actually in production and meanwhile everyone else is still too wary to take on the 90.

I would love a 90; many 90s in fact. Unfortunately I feel it is probably just a waiting game until Bachmann do it.... and it could be many years.... very annoying I know :angry: !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Without a Cold War-esque spy inside Grafar, planted by Revolution or Dapol, there really is no way to know, and the ‘Card to chest’ approach really does mean you just don’t know. If Dapol did do a 90 they could have a 3-piece book set with coaches, loco and DVT, which will reduce the price than buying a loco separately from a competing manufacturer. If Graham Farish does a 90 then who knows what liveries can go with it, and maybe their Mk2 DBSO can be painted in ‘One’ colours, as that livery needs more representation in N gauge.

• 1 year later...

Hattons and others seem to be expecting it in February-March

Unless I'm missing something though, Dapol seem to have completely removed the "In development" section of their website which was in many cases the only place you could find any information related to future releases. All there is now is the catalogue, which simply indicates their intentions at a fixed point in time... https://www.Dapol.co.uk/Catalogue/

I've lost all hope of one day seeing the Intercity Swallow DVT released in the correct colours rather than Dapol's "Intercity Brown". Currently at 14 years and counting, despite a second production run in 2015 which was also incorrect after assurances it would be corrected (the same assurances we had before the first batch)...

Alan

Edited by jivebunny
  • Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 11:01, Lukas G. said:

Without a Cold War-esque spy inside Grafar, planted by Revolution or Dapol, there really is no way to know, and the ‘Card to chest’ approach really does mean you just don’t know. If Dapol did do a 90 they could have a 3-piece book set with coaches, loco and DVT, which will reduce the price than buying a loco separately from a competing manufacturer. If Graham Farish does a 90 then who knows what liveries can go with it, and maybe their Mk2 DBSO can be painted in ‘One’ colours, as that livery needs more representation in N gauge.

The Mk2 DBSOs never wore ONE livery. The MK3 DVTs had that dubious honor....

• RMweb Premium

9710 did:

Ex- 'One' Anglia DBSO Mk.2 DBSO, 9710

The driving end is different to that Farish have done so far (following the conversion in the late 1980s involving the removal of the gangway and addition of TDM equipment for working with the AC electrics). I'd guess they're allowed for this version with their tooling as it opens up the possibility of doing the Intercity, Anglia, Railtrack and DRS versions too.

Steven B.

• 1 year later...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the other big N-gauge announcement from yesterday (perhaps it got lost in the sea of Winter Bachmann/Farish announcements)...

...which is that Dapol have announced three more Mk3 DVT releases for 2024. Specifically, the much requested re-runs of INTERCITY and original Virgin liveries, and a stand-alone DVT with "Chiltern Railways by arriva" branding:

2D-017-005 MK3 DVT Driving Van Trailer Intercity Swallow 82137

2D-017-006 MK3 DVT Driving Van Trailer Virgin 82107

2D-017-007 MK3 DVT Driving Van Trailer Chiltern 82303

These are in addition to the DVTs and train packs previously announced in 2020:

2D-017-003 – DVT 82115 in BR Blue

2D-017-004 – DVT 82124 in Network Rail Yellow

2D-017-100 – DB Management Train 4 Piece Rolling Stock Set

2D-017-101 – Chiltern Railways 8 Piece Slam Door Set with DVT

Fingers crossed that the colour palate is finally corrected on the Intercity Swallow release.

Cheers

Tom.