To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Drakelow: S scale

ianb3174

So the crossover is pretty much done apart from the tiebars. It's taken years (to gain the skills) but I'm actually happy with the standard of my track laying now. It has to look like the real thing. 

A bit of plain line to finish it tonight I think, or a single malt, or both. 

IMG_9350.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

Tonight I've added some more track. As I'm short of S scale chairs I've used some 4 mm ones and code 75 rail for the siding. There's a slight mismatch inheight between the two rail sizes but nothing that will cause a problem. A bit of plasticard under the chairs at the one end should soft it out.

Edited by ianb3174
  • Like 5

Ian,

In a lot of cases when modelling pre-Grouping railways,  the smaller 4mm scale rail and chairs are closer to scale than our S scale rail and chairs.  Our components are based on British standards from Grouping onwards where the rail and chairs were substantial enough to carry the increased weight of locomotives and rolling stock from the start of the 20th century.   In Victorian times,  the rail and chairs were of lighter weight and smaller dimensions.   I think I remember Geoff Stenner telling me that track on his Victorian era layout had been laid using 4mm components.

Jim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The difference is quite significant in the rail head when in the track gauge. Had to make sure they were pushed in not out in the slot to keep the gauge. A very therapeutic hour it was too. Haven’t done much since my fancy magnifying light thing expired. That’s when I found out the bulb wasn’t replaceable. I’ve bought two battery powered LED photo floods to attach to it with ¼” tripod screw

• Like 1

A number of years ago, when the new S Scale rail was first produced, I made up a small panel of straight track using code 87 rail and 4mm scale chairs. I made the panel to see if the 4mm chairs could be used with the code 87 rail as my chosen prototype used four bolt chairs, which is not available in S Scale. I didn’t experience any problem threading the chairs on the rail and the final outcome was more than acceptable. I am intending on using the 4mm scale chairs when I eventually get around to track building.

• Like 2

On 15/03/2021 at 23:13, ianb3174 said:

Tonight I've added some more track. As I'm short of S scale chairs I've used some 4 mm ones and code 75 rail for the siding. There's a slight mismatch inheight between the two rail sizes but nothing that will cause a problem. A bit of plasticard under the chairs at the one end should soft it out.

2D3252FB-E029-4117-BD14-9523640F587A.jpeg

More S Scale chairs available Ian - I've got loads! But I do agree with the other comments that the SSMRS track system is best for the grouping onwards. And I think that older rail and presumeably chairs were recycled into sidings and branch lines. It all looks good by the way and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't gone away, not physically anyway. Just been very busy with other stuff and not had time to do any modelling. Tonight I found out my society wagon kit that I'd completely forgotten about. I'd built the chassis several months ago but only tonight have I (loosely) joined it to the body. Some bits to add yet which are obvious from the photo. I made a floor from plasticard and scribbed some planks on it  (that's high level stuff for me!). 

My question is: The chassis has society wheels and has a pronounced wobble when running. Is there a technique to get the wheels running true on the axle? I've checked the back to back and it seems both wheels are parallel but one tyre/wheel seems to be slightly oval. Hard to spot when spinning it but obvious when rolling along track.

Wagon.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The occasional wobbly wheel is a problem with the original wheel sets, but not with the new ones from Slaters. Unfortunately, the price has increased substantially as well!

On 17/06/2021 at 14:50, Regularity said:

The occasional wobbly wheel is a problem with the original wheel sets, but not with the new ones from Slaters. Unfortunately, the price has increased substantially as well!

Ian, there were problems with some of the original wheels. The new Slaters ones are excellent and we still have stocks of the open-spoke wheels at the old price. Your excellent track deserves nothing better! Paul

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I've been very quiet of late and my only modelling time has been spent watching others. As I'm now on 10 days isolation for catching Covid I thought I'd have a play.

First up, I found a box of P4 bits and pieces and did think about a cheeky build in that 'common' scale. After giving myself a stern beating I realised I had the ideal and unique scale already at my disposal and my designs would work equally well scaled up. 

To that end, Cookley is now more likely to function as the fiddle yard for a larger layout now I've had a move round in my cellar. 

Whilst I was thinking about that (I have said I'm easily distracted) I remembered some ideas I had with the Irish narrow gauge. I saw a great photo of chaired track in 3ft, NCC I believe, which got me pondering.

A few hours later we arrive at the following:

3ft is 14.28mm in S. As near as finescale 3mm on 14.2mm track. Using 4mm chairs and code 75 BH, 0.8mm flangeway chairs and a bit of borrowing from the 3mm Society standards to use 12.8mm BB and a check gauge of 13.30mm. 

The wheels, and wagon are to P4 and I pushed them in on the axles to narrow the gauge. 

yes, they're a bit rusty, having been in a drawer for a while but you can see it works fine. It runs through nicely on both routes and the gaps look proper. 

The Templot plan was drawn up using some arbitrary dimensions picked up over the years, namely 72" sleepers for running lines. Plan stuck to a bit of 5mm foamboard and the ply sleepers PVA'd on. Standard Exactoscale/C&L chairs etc. It was all spaced out by eye/vernier so I'm not claiming 100% accuracy but using P4 wheel profiles should give a lot of options for the smaller wheels of the prototype. 

Going to build the remaining parts tomorrow with a bit of plain line each end but early signs are good (I didn't have to dremel anything). Rather enjoyed my adhoc session tonight. 

Thoughts and critique welcome as ever

IMG_1251.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

14 or 14.2mm is a useful gauge in several scales - I am modelling in 0-14. There is also a great variety in Irish (and English) 3 foot gauge railways, from small to very large prototypes. Worsley Works site may be useful for etched kit/ scratch aids. Following with interest.

Dava

• Like 1

• ianb3174 changed the title to Drakelow: S scale

A couple of quick thoughts. 

In prototype world I think that most of the 3' gauge lines in the British isles used the same tyre profile as standard gauge.  I think that its only when you get to 2'-6" or below that scaled down dimensions apply. 

In the US, commercial Sn3 is available including things like track from the likes of PBL.  I think that they use NMRA SN3 standards but I'm not sure how fine they are without looking them up.

I doubt my models in this experiment will come under too close scrutiny though. It's likely destined for lying unused on a shelf for the foreseeable.  I have some CDR and LLSR wagon drawings so might have a bash at a wagon , or even a coach. Such fantastic prototypes that look good in any scale

IMG_1253.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, asmay2002 said:

In prototype world I think that most of the 3' gauge lines in the British isles used the same tyre profile as standard gauge.

Yes. It's necessary to allow the use of mixed-gauge pointwork.

This is Larne Harbour, with mixed 5ft-3in and 3ft gauge tracks:

59eb7fb90176e_Larneharbour1936.jpg.009c7
linked from: https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8752-freelance-mixed-gauge-handbuilt-trackwork/

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

There won't be any mixed gauge track on this. I will try some regauged S wheels in the test wagon and from looking at the relative sizes there isn't much difference, 0.18mm width increase and 0.05 extra flange thickness over P4. With the same BB they should work as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday progress. I added a bay platform turnout to make the layout into an inglenook with a kickback. There will be (in operating mode) an add on headshunt at the toe end of this turnout. I may also add an sector plate at the far end to allow runround. That is for the future if I ever get any linear space of sufficient depth. It might have to live in the shed which will be the only place long enough. Anyhow, construction. Usual stuff except I've used Code 75 rail for this one and packed up the sleepers at the heel end to match the Code 82 of the existing track. As a result I've still got an annoying step between sizes. I claim the prototype would have dodgy track at this location under Rule 1. I'm only annoyed because, to me, it detracts from the smooth running through the crossing (and the wobbly wheeled 7 planker). The bay the wobbly wagon sits on will be extended further, you can just make out the sleepers laid in preparation beyond it.

I have been reading Iain Rice's MRJ article on less than perfect track which make a lot of sense. Some years ago I went on a brakevan ride around the sidings at Highley SVR and was surprised at how bumpy the track was off the 'mainline'. My sidings will be rough, mind you, so will the mainline. 

As I can't get much more track on the board now, it's only 1200x300, I'm going to start making some stock. Yes, it is about b***dy time. I reckon a dozen wagons and a coach (6w) and some motive power, which I intend to use RC control. Before I go down that rabbit hole i'll get ballasting done and turnouts fitted with WIT/levers. 

As ever, critique is welcomed, and sometimes acted upon. 

IMG_1469.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Just to show that I'm not all neat trackwork and excellent craftsmanship (jokes) here is my recent test track plank. It's a 450mm piece of 12mm ply with some copperclad sleepers glued on it. I've gone multi-gauge as I intend to use 1/64 as the basis for many projects. This is built on the idea of a common rail with the various gauges measured off it.

In order of top to bottom

1. Common rail 1

2. 9.42mm to represent 2ft (610mm) gauge (actual 9.53)

3. 14.2mm to represent 3ft (914mm) gauge (actual 14.28)

4. 22.45 Standard gauge

5. 33.43 to represent GWR broad gauge 

6. Common rail 2

7. 12mm to represent 2'6" (762mm) gauge (actual 11.90)

8. 16.2mm to represent both/either Metre gauge (15.62mm actual) or 3'6" (16.67mm actual). A compromise but it's neatly between the two.

9. 25mm to represent 5'3" (1600mm) gauge.

As you can see my soldering is top drawer and I've almost kept the rails straight along their length. At least they're consistently gauged. 

I've added check rails to a small section which are all set to 0.71mm. I am standardising on the S scale wheel profile as suggested above. 

I was going to clean it all up and give it a dust of paint before show and tell but it's not meant to be pretty.

1/64 lends itself to a multitude of gauges, there's probably others that will catch my eye and make an appearance on the board. 

The broad gauge may not be prototypical rail but I'd love to build some mixed gauge track for a cameo. Has anyone done BG in S? 

I'll put my verniers down now and build some things with wheels...

IMG_1899.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 1