A trio of questions regarding a Heljan class 17 I've just bought.

Hi all, 

I've just purchased what was described by the shop I bought it from as a brand new Heljan OO gauge class 17. The serial number is 17991 - loco number is D8574. It certainly looks brand new and unused,  however it came with the sprung buffers not fitted and in a separate bag (one buffer is missing a spring). All the buffer beam pipe work is fitted at each end. I'm aware that there were multiple problems with many of the initial batches of these locos.

*Is my model part of this initial batch? 
*Where can i procure a replacement spring for the buffer? 
*where may I get transfers to renumber to an RTC example? 

Edited by peak experience

I've never had a Heljan loco, new or pre-owned, without the buffers fitted. So very wierd.

I don't think this is an early example at all, they started at either 1700 or 1701, and 5 digit codes are more recent.

For a few years now Heljan have fitted full buffer beam detailing to their locos as standard, and very fine it is too!

If it's been sold as brand new nothing should be missing, and it isn't your job to source or fit bits. How feasible is it to go back to the shop? Unless you got it for an exceptional price I'd tell them to sort it or give you a refund. If it was some unrepeatable one-off offer then it's pot luck with the buffer spring, obvioulsly it'll be quite small and if you have a bits bag I'd try what you have and see if there's any joy.

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for you reply John. 

I'll fire the shop an email regarding the spring. 

I own a few Heljan locos, a pair of 26s, a 27 and a 128 DPU and they all came with buffers fitted. They've all been great runners but i'm aware of the initial issues with the 17. The buffer beam detail on this Clayton is exquisite. My thoughts were that maybe this was an early model with a replacement motor. 

Edited by peak experience

34 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

sounds like the body was removed from the chassis for some reason. IIRC the buffers had to be removed to take the body off and damage to buffers or loosing springs did happen.

this is what i'm thinking too. technically it's a new model made from a hybrid of original body and a replacement chassis/motor. i was hoping someone would be able to date it via the product code. i've no layout to run it on at present. 

2 hours ago, peak experience said:

this is what i'm thinking too. technically it's a new model made from a hybrid of original body and a replacement chassis/motor. i was hoping someone would be able to date it via the product code. i've no layout to run it on at present. 

See if you can get hold of a cheap rolling road mate and a 5 or 6v DC power supply, not 12 or 14v as you dont want to run it in at full speed

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2020 at 16:34, peak experience said:

Hi all, 

I've just purchased what was described by the shop I bought it from as a brand new Heljan OO gauge class 17. The serial number is 17991 - loco number is D8574. It certainly looks brand new and unused,  however it came with the sprung buffers not fitted and in a separate bag (one buffer is missing a spring). All the buffer beam pipe work is fitted at each end. I'm aware that there were multiple problems with many of the initial batches of these locos.

*Is my model part of this initial batch? 
*Where can i procure a replacement spring for the buffer? 
*where may I get transfers to renumber to an RTC example? 

1) Yes, tht was part of the initial releases, there was a BR Blue and a Green model weathered as Modelfair limited editions.

2) Use a Kadee spring if you have one (PM me if you don't)

3) Can't help.

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If, as mentioned above it's part of the original release then personally I'd not panic unduly - some people had motor problems, many didn't. Heljan did supply/send out replacement chassis f.o.c; someone on RMWeb did their own motor conversion, though I don't have a link unfortunately.  Give it a good run to see how it goes, whilst you still have the option of returning it should you need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

1) Yes, tht was part of the initial releases, there was a BR Blue and a Green model weathered as Modelfair limited editions.

2) Use a Kadee spring if you have one (PM me if you don't)

3) Can't help.

Roy

Many thanks Roy, 

I'm going to email the shop and ask them about this model and how it's arrived in the condition it's in. 

your offer of a spring is appreciated. i may be touch if the shop can't provide one. 

regards, peak