Bachmann LYR Class 5 problems

Jinty7109fan

Recently, I bought the Class 5 from Rails of Sheffield. The loco is alright and ran perfectly fine on DC while running in. After putting in the Bachmann 36-568A 6 pin decoder and giving it a new adress on my Select, everything seemed to be ok. That was until the loco ran for 2-3 minutes, when it slowly came to a complete halt, no overload flashing on the Select nor did the loco start smoking. After I switched of the controller and started running the loco it did the same thing, run fine for a bit and then slow down to a halt. I then forgot about it, and when I ran it today, it did it again. Twice.

I already eliminated motor issues, as it ran just fine on DC, so it's either the decoder or the Select. The pins on the decoder are a tad bit long, but I doubt it's causing this problem, the decoder doesn't touch anything else and is plugged in properly.

Please help, I live in Continental Europe and it's a pain in the arse to ship things to and from the UK.

Edited by Jinty7109fan
aditional information

Two questions, which will be helpful if you can supply answers.

Did you have anything else running on the layout while the class 5 model slowed to a halt, and if so did the other loco(s) keep running normally?

16 hours ago, Jinty7109fan said:

... After I switched off the controller and started running the loco it did the same thing, run fine for a bit and then slow down to a halt...

With reference to this sentence, for clarification: after you switched off the DCC controller did you switch it back on to run the class 5, or did you then run the class 5 on DC?

• Like 1

Clarifies the situation, but unfortunately still doesn't provide any definite indication of where the problem might be.

So, next things to try:

Run the class 5 and another loco on DCC at the same time. When the class 5 stops does the other loco keep going or also stop?

If both locos stop then it's the Select shutting down.

If the other loco keeps running when the class 5 stops the trouble is almost certainly the decoder, as you are confident the loco runs normally on DC with the decoder removed.

• Like 1

Just tried running the Class 5 with my Hornby J83, when the Class 5 stopped the J83 continued to run fine, just like all my Hornby locos. Apart from decoder issues I’m starting to think that it might be the fault of Select, it is well known that it isn’t NMRA compliant.