Hardy's Hobbies Bagnall 16" 0-6-0ST Build (video)

• RMweb Gold

'evening all. I was lucky enough to be able to get my greasy mitts on a pre-production model of the new Hardys Hobbies Bagnall, designed by TurboSnail of this parish. It's released today and so here is my build video of how I got on (no commentary, just music and titles)

Enjoy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the video Corbs, I will be referring back to it for inspiration when my kit arrives.

Being from Preston, this Bagnall is probably my favourite industrial loco, although by the time I became aware of the Docks operation as a child in the early 1970's, it had gone over to the Sentinel diesels, so sadly I never saw the steam locos in service.

You showed in the video that you applied several coats of primer. Can I ask please how long you allowed the primer to dry before rubbing down?  I'm eager to see this loco up and running (when my kit arrives) but I don't want to spoil it by rushing the build.

Thanks in advance

Moxy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Thanks for the video Corbs, I will be referring back to it for inspiration when my kit arrives.

Being from Preston, this Bagnall is probably my favourite industrial loco, although by the time I became aware of the Docks operation as a child in the early 1970's, it had gone over to the Sentinel diesels, so sadly I never saw the steam locos in service.

You showed in the video that you applied several coats of primer. Can I ask please how long you allowed the primer to dry before rubbing down?  I'm eager to see this loco up and running (when my kit arrives) but I don't want to spoil it by rushing the build.

Thanks in advance

Moxy

Thanks Moxy, yes I did a fair bit of prep to get rid of the inevitable layering you get with 3D prints. The red coats are normal primer for showing up imperfections etc. whilst the yellow is filler primer. When I was spraying I was doing it outdoors during a warm sunny period so the coats dried very quickly. Thick filler primer coats I sometimes left to harden overnight, but thinner ones during the day I left for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Fine sandpaper used wet was far more effective than the coarser stuff I found.

Be careful when handling the model as true to form I managed to snap the front step off! Glued back on with some super glue though as it was a clean break.

48 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I too am interested in this model, but I'm concerned that it may have been compromised by decision to make it suitable for the Hornby chassis.

I think the main difference is the wheels on the chassis are larger than the prototype, I was experimenting with a few things though and interestingly the Peckett W4 wheels fit!

• Thanks 2