Layout Storage idea

mdvle

Chris Nevard has done a blog post about a small layout built for a client, the layout designed to fit into 3 plastic storage boxes when not in use.  This might be an idea for those who need to put a layout away when not in use, with the benefit of the sealed boxes helping to keep dust off the layout.  Not being familiar with the boxes they may even fit under some beds.

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2019/12/hotchpotch-rd-little-smoke-junction.html

I must be slipping. I use some similar(ish) boxes for transporting pottery to markets and it never occurred to me to use them for layout storage. Mine are about the same length, but roughly 18" wide. At about 6-7" deep, they might be a bit shallow, once baseboard thickness is taken into account, but with a bit of ingenuity with demountable buildings it could probably be made to work. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Whats the biggest storage boxes they do?

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php

11 minutes ago, imt said:

Being thick, I cannot see how you get the boards in and out of the box in one piece - any ideas?

a piece of string or webbing laid across before you drop it in so you can pull it out like you use the ribbon or plastic film for in many foam lined storage boxes :) 

• Like 1

20200626_192143.jpg.c00d74e820c9d4c45f45d972630d41d7.jpg

I'm working on two layouts in boxes; a 00 tramway in the wrapping paper box, and the above, a rather more silly thing in N. For context, thats the 30cm x 5cm x 7cm pencil case box. I wanted a little layout to mess with whilst running my laser cutter :)

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

a piece of string or webbing laid across before you drop it in

Yes, I thought it would be something like that.  Thus I don't fancy the life chances of the main station overbridge - one clumsy "drop" or lift and its had it!  Mind you I like the idea and love the little layout, I just don't think it very practical for a close fit frequently put in and out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have two straps to lift it straight up it shouldn’t be a problem, they could be stapled to the frame so they tuck underneath in use and can’t slip sideways when lifting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Insert: Stand layout on lid, place box over the top, clip down.

Do not turn box over! :wink_mini:

Remove: Unclip lid, lift off, remove layout.

Nice in theory, but I can see myself, in a moment of absentmindedness, turning the box "right way up". Even more likely, someone else, being "helpful" , doing it. 

8 hours ago, mdvle said:

Chris Nevard has done a blog post about a small layout built for a client, the layout designed to fit into 3 plastic storage boxes when not in use.  This might be an idea for those who need to put a layout away when not in use, with the benefit of the sealed boxes helping to keep dust off the layout.  Not being familiar with the boxes they may even fit under some beds.

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2019/12/hotchpotch-rd-little-smoke-junction.html

But serieously, set-track points?  What's wrong with streamline Ys?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TonyMay said:

But seriously, set-track points?  What's wrong with streamline Ys?

Read the blog, the specs were created by the customer so he’s sticking to the brief. 
quote from Chris, 

my customer stipulating buildings and track required

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

A clever idea, though it seems like the "really useful box" solution limits the width to 20cm or so. Still wide enough to build something though.

It is..this is a Christmas Tree box layout - although I add a short shunting lead on a second board and the LED lighting strip does lift off - you can see the gap - but does store in the box with the layout..

Chris

P1040210.JPG

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 8

20 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Looks good.  Whats the biggest storage boxes they do?

The biggest is a 145 litre, 710mm x 545mm x 400mm deep. Or there is a 70 litre same footprint but 200mm deep. These are excellent boxes with a secure locking system, and nice and square, not tapered. You can buy direct, way cheaper than from a shop, and postage is reasonable. 

It's worth remembering that there's a taper on these boxes, presumably to allow them to be removed from the mould at manufacture. Also from memory it's outside dimensions which are quoted. Your layouts will need to take this into account.

For planning purposes it's worth taking a couple of inches off the length and one off the width.

The 70 litre box does fit under a grown up's bed, but not a child's bed. 

RUB give both internal and external dimensions on their site. I have given the internal ones. There is a slight taper on the outside, definitely less so if at all on the inside. May be worth leaving some space to get fingers underneath though. 

• Like 1