Gresley non-corridor CL unbeaded?

Boris

So I've been trawling the internet looking for reference photos of Gresley non-corridor stock and came accross this interesting example here.  I appears to be a Gresley CL that has had all the beading removed, does anyone have any more information on this before I do something drastic like model it?

gres_sp_cl_600_360_72.jpg

The LNER under Gresley and later Thompson built the short non-corrridor coaches with steel as well as teak panelling. I believe that teak was phased out due to cost and availability, but might be wrong.

The absence of beading is the easiest way to tell the two types apart apart when looking at a photo, for example a three quarter train view.

John.

• Agree 2

Steel paneled LNER coaches, corridor as well as non-corridor stock, started to appear from 1935, and the last teak paneled non-corridors were built in 1938, apart from some twin artic thirds built in 1940.

The gangwayed steel paneled stock was somewhat more limited though. Besides, notably, the streamlined stock, there was some 5-coach sets for secondary GN and GC section workings which had a pair of BTK+TK twins with a CK between, and also some BGs

These were all steel paneled but still with timber body framing, as was standard for most pre-Mk1 stock.

Interestingly, in 1927 a batch of BGs which were used on ECML services, and a batch of Corridor Open Thirds, were built with all steel construction. These are easily distinguished from teak or steel paneled stock in having no underframe trussing.

In LNER days, apart of course from the steamliners, all these were painted in a teak finish

Ref; LNER Carriages Harris

Edited by Ken.W
Add Ref