Middle Shed - LNER Loco Depot

N.E. Thing

Hello all. I've come up with this track plan for my LNER era steam shed. I already have the boards cut from whiterose modelworks (1050x450mm) and the turntable location cut. The idea is it can be packed under a bed when not in use, and maybe one day when I have a bigger home for it, it could be extended to the left and right and joined to a bigger layout, maybe as a longer through-shed. I imagine it is currently half an engine shed really.

What do you think?

This is my first modelling attempt so any tips on building are welcome.

I would be interested in any protoypical information, any general background info particularly on sheds, like what an NE raised coal stage should look like.

Thanks!

engine shed - 4 roads v2.png

Edited by N.E. Thing
  • Like 7

Looks like an interesting project.

Here are a few photos of North Blyth MPD where the raised coaling stage can be seen in the background.

North Blyth was a round-house shed, whereas South Blyth had a straight shed similar to the one in your plan.

62050 at North Blyth.jpg

61386 at North Blyth.jpg

North Blyth 1966.jpg

South Blyth (52F) shed.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, good images. It looks like it was quite narrow, which fits my layout. I read it was bombed and partially rebuilt, if I was feeling adventurous I could model mine in a similar way with the corrugated iron sides.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress in the last couple of weeks, trying to find time to do anything with it. I am having some trouble with the legs, which has occupied me all weekend trying to get the thing stable. However I did manage to get the track laid out and found it doesn't quite work, some tight radii and not much room for the coaling stage. A new track plan was needed - here it is.

Also I think a new name is in order. Possibly "Colville Shed" - a mash up of Copley Hill and Neville Hill, Leeds sheds, which is my target area and also my own name :D. The book "Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds Volume3" is an inspiration, in particular Copley Hill due to it's relatively compact track plan. 

ATB

Colin

148324950_smallengineshedy-points.jpg.0d4afbb6755a1bd14392086235d5eaee.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

it's been a while since I posted, but the lockdown layout has progressed.

Fully wired for dcc with 10 cobalt point motors and dcc enabled turntable. I'm extremely proud my first attempt at a layout.

Next steps, fit a backscene and build the slope to the coaling stage.

20210416_120502.jpg

20210416_120110.jpg

Edited by N.E. Thing
text error
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, in the last few weeks I managed to bash together a frame with hardboard cover to hold the backscene. It's worked ok apart from a small 1mm gap appeared between the two halves of the backscene. Despite all my careful measuring it's difficult to get sub-millimetre accuracy working with hand tools in a bedroom, so I'll have to live with it. Meanwhile, I hacked a hole in the baseboard in preparation for making the slope to the coal stage.

IMG-20210418-WA0005.jpeg

20210502_164408.jpg

• Like 2

the layout is working quite well, I'm really pleased with it. Some times locos are a bit stop-start, not sure if it's due to track dirt or the locos themselves being underused, any tips would be welcome!