Streamlined Railcar Sound issue....

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

All excited yesterday when my Dapol Streamliner arrived after I pre ordered seemingly years ago!

Its a lovely model and I ordered the sound fitted version.....unfortunately I fear there is an issue with either the sound file or the speaker, it sounds like the speaker is being totally overloaded resulting in terrible distortion.

I wondered if anyone else received theirs recently and has run it yet with sound and had issues or if theirs is all good?

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Could be that the sound is set too high? Maybe adjust the volume. I often find that’s the main cause. 

Must admit I have not adjusted the sound but it definitely doesn’t sound as if it’s distorted because it’s too loud, sounds more like a dodgy speaker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Just got mine but the extreme opposite, you can hardly hear the sound even when setting CV266 to the maximum.

Bizarre!

Unfortunately mine came back and worked great......for literally ten seconds and then no sound at all, works fine but no sound. Tried a reset but still silent so back again to Dapol......getting just a bit frustrated now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To update this thread.......I received back from Dapol the Railcar and a letter saying nothing wrong was found and a charmingly slightly condescending instruction From Dapol’s sound expert about keeping the track clean!  

Anyhoo even though it’s a brand new model under warranty I gave up hoping for a satisfactory conclusion from Dapol (annoying as I have had great faith in them before) I opened the Loco and found this amazing wiring solution, I doubt mine is the only one wired like this and am convinced this was the issue with the distorted sound (loosely placed speakers within the housing enabling them to vibrate around!) and sound cutting out as the speaker wires shorted out together.

B4416957-C56C-4E2A-B17B-6F867ADCBF1E.jpeg.7ee59b28b59855581959735a2c5817ff.jpeg

To say I was shocked by this installation is a huge understatement, if you have one of these Locos I suggest you check before the wires short and possibly blow the output amplifier on the chip or something similar.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well on Wednesday I sent Dapol an email with the picture of the “installation” and was hoping for at least a reply but so far nothing, not even an acknowledgment email, I tried several times today to ring Dapol but go no answer each time.......are they laying low I wonder? :D

Edited by boxbrownie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 57xx said:

@boxbrownie Any update on your sound issue?

Well apart from Dapol completely ignoring my emails and when I rang I got no answer, no.....not yet!

TBH the speaker installation is so crappy in this Loco I am just tempted to send the decoder off to Zimo for checking and put a decent speaker in it myself as I know Dapol will only say “that’s the factory speaker installation, nothing we can do” even though it looks like it’s been installed by a blindfolded one armed drunken monkey on crack.

I get very despondent at some of the “engineering” solutions some manufacturers use, and this one from Dapol takes the Oscar as the worst by a long mark.........I’ve bought a hell’uva lot of Dapol over the years and a lot of it 7mm so not cheap, this makes me feel like saying f***’em I leave well alone in the future.

On 02/09/2020 at 18:58, boxbrownie said:

Well apart from Dapol completely ignoring my emails and when I rang I got no answer, no.....not yet!

On 02/09/2020 at 21:13, 57xx said:

Disappointing they never responded. That wiring is atrocious.

Perhaps they realise that they’re sitting on a factory f*** up and are doing the only thing they can do...sticking their heads in the sand.