Paired DCC units

reddragon

• RMweb Premium

You can but setting them up as a "consist" would generally be a better option. If you have them as the same address, you cannot control them on their own until you re-programmed one of them. As a consist add the 2 decoder ID's to the consist and it will do what you want. The CV's might need tuning to ensure that they both run at the same speed for any given throttle value.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, reddragon said:

If I run 2 multiple units together, can I give them the same DCC address so that they run as a pair?

What controller are you using and which DCC decoders are fitted?

The decoders are likely to have as much or more influence on the speed matching as the motors and drive trains, because many decoder designs are nothing like linear through the speed range. My speed matching top tip, temporarily remove the couplers from the set ends. That way you are not having to endlessly uncouple them when the speed match isn't perfect...

• Like 1

I regularly run  a set of Bachmann 2EPBs paired and also a Hornby 2HAL/2BIL combo using the same DCC address for each motor in a pair. The decoders in each pair are also the same model and version number. The EPB set uses Lenz Silver minis and the HAL/BIL set uses TCS EU621s both were just plugged and run well as pairs without any further adjustment.

Using different manufacturers motors and different decoders within a set may well require some adjustments to get similiar speed/acceleration for each one of a pair.

I have no experience of using Hornby or Gaugemaster decoders in any of my stock

John

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, johnb said:

I regularly run  a set of Bachmann 2EPBs paired and also a Hornby 2HAL/2BIL combo using the same DCC address for each motor in a pair. The decoders in each pair are also the same model and version number. The EPB set uses Lenz Silver minis and the HAL/BIL set uses TCS EU621s both were just plugged and run well as pairs without any further adjustment.

Using different manufacturers motors and different decoders within a set may well require some adjustments to get similiar speed/acceleration for each one of a pair.

I have no experience of using Hornby or Gaugemaster decoders in any of my stock

John

Thank you, that is exactly what I plan to do with pairs of 2-car units

On 04/07/2020 at 20:00, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The decoders are likely to have as much or more influence on the speed matching as the motors and drive trains, because many decoder designs are nothing like linear through the speed range. My speed matching top tip, temporarily remove the couplers from the set ends. That way you are not having to endlessly uncouple them when the speed match isn't perfect...

I have speed matched a few DMUs.  Widest discrepancy with speeds, accelerations etc was a Bachmann 150 (very slow) and Hornby 153 (too fast).  Playing around with CVs got them pretty much the same; now they don't snatch and fight with each other!

My top tip - set up a temporary circle of 2nd radius set track on the floor and connect your system to that.  So much easier than trying to adjust speeds with both trains on the layout! 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1