Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If I run 2 multiple units together, can I give them the same DCC address so that they run as a pair?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can but setting them up as a "consist" would generally be a better option. If you have them as the same address, you cannot control them on their own until you re-programmed one of them. As a consist add the 2 decoder ID's to the consist and it will do what you want. The CV's might need tuning to ensure that they both run at the same speed for any given throttle value.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, reddragon said:

If I run 2 multiple units together, can I give them the same DCC address so that they run as a pair?

 

What controller are you using and which DCC decoders are fitted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hornby Elite and a mix of Hornby & Gaugemaster chips. The pair will be the same motor type

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decoders are likely to have as much or more influence on the speed matching as the motors and drive trains, because many decoder designs are nothing like linear through the speed range. My speed matching top tip, temporarily remove the couplers from the set ends. That way you are not having to endlessly uncouple them when the speed match isn't perfect...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hornby basic R8249 decoders don't support advanced consisting so you would need to use basic consisting with these and follow the instructions in the Elite manual on how to set this up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I regularly run  a set of Bachmann 2EPBs paired and also a Hornby 2HAL/2BIL combo using the same DCC address for each motor in a pair. The decoders in each pair are also the same model and version number. The EPB set uses Lenz Silver minis and the HAL/BIL set uses TCS EU621s both were just plugged and run well as pairs without any further adjustment.

Using different manufacturers motors and different decoders within a set may well require some adjustments to get similiar speed/acceleration for each one of a pair.

 

I have no experience of using Hornby or Gaugemaster decoders in any of my stock

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, johnb said:

I regularly run  a set of Bachmann 2EPBs paired and also a Hornby 2HAL/2BIL combo using the same DCC address for each motor in a pair. The decoders in each pair are also the same model and version number. The EPB set uses Lenz Silver minis and the HAL/BIL set uses TCS EU621s both were just plugged and run well as pairs without any further adjustment.

Using different manufacturers motors and different decoders within a set may well require some adjustments to get similiar speed/acceleration for each one of a pair.

 

I have no experience of using Hornby or Gaugemaster decoders in any of my stock

 

John

 

Thank you, that is exactly what I plan to do with pairs of 2-car units

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2020 at 20:00, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The decoders are likely to have as much or more influence on the speed matching as the motors and drive trains, because many decoder designs are nothing like linear through the speed range. My speed matching top tip, temporarily remove the couplers from the set ends. That way you are not having to endlessly uncouple them when the speed match isn't perfect...

I have speed matched a few DMUs.  Widest discrepancy with speeds, accelerations etc was a Bachmann 150 (very slow) and Hornby 153 (too fast).  Playing around with CVs got them pretty much the same; now they don't snatch and fight with each other!

 

My top tip - set up a temporary circle of 2nd radius set track on the floor and connect your system to that.  So much easier than trying to adjust speeds with both trains on the layout! 

  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.