Older type Farish LMS coaches

ianwales

5 hours ago, ianwales said:

Hi

Were the Older style Farish LMS coaches based on particular coaches or were the generic, the suburbans look like LMS 57ft types, but, I am baffled by the mainline types?

Ian

Hi Ian

Generic coaches produced in the different liveries of all of the Big 4 plus early BR Blood & Custard, they do hint at features of certain coaches hence they were reasonably convincing in all the different guises.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming we are talking about the 4mm coaches, as far as I can make out, the nearest thing resembling anything like the corridor coaches were some Lancs and Yorks types. I repeat "the nearest thing resembling anything like"

[This is my personal view only and may not reflect anything like reallity - put tin hat on and retreat to bunker]

37 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Assuming we are talking about the 4mm coaches, as far as I can make out, the nearest thing resembling anything like the corridor coaches were some Lancs and Yorks types. I repeat "the nearest thing resembling anything like"

[This is my personal view only and may not reflect anything like reallity - put tin hat on and retreat to bunker]

No, The N gauge ones, I forgot Farish used to do 4mm!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

IIRC both the 4mm & 2mm old Farish generics were the same design.  The suburbana were “vaguely” LMS, and the mainline ones “vaguely” Maunsell Southern, (with also a passing nod to some GER types?).  Anyone else agree? 

Richard

• Agree 1

With the proper roof profile, a bit of a fill in the top of the large windows at each end and a complete rebuild of the ends, the mainline coaches bore a passable resemblance to Maunsell stock. With Ultima bits in hand, this was quite possibly the first conversion I ever did to an N gauge model after I saw Basingstoke for the first time. The same could be said for the Suburbans but that was an easier prospect, Ultima replacement roof with the right vents and jobs a goodun. You could modify them a bit more heavily to do a few different diagrams too.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2020 at 17:45, RichardT said:

IIRC both the 4mm & 2mm old Farish generics were the same design.  The suburbana were “vaguely” LMS, and the mainline ones “vaguely” Maunsell Southern, (with also a passing nod to some GER types?).  Anyone else agree? 

Richard

I had a 4mm LMS suburban and it looked fine until the Airfix inter-district carriages came out (and even then I think the livery was better on the Farish model).   The roof profile is ok in this scale - a wee bit flat but still noticeably elliptical - but I believe the models are a little short for 57 footers.   Overall they have the look of Period II vehicles but probably don't represent specific diagrams.  The brakes used to be favourite conversion fodder for LMS driving trailers.

In N the roof profile is an arc and looks distinctly too flat for an LMS coach. It really needs fixing but otherwise the models are much the same as the 00 versions.  Someone on RMweb did some cut and shuts a few years back to make more accurate LMS coaches but I can't find the thread now.

• Agree 1

The Farish 4mm suburbans also came as a kit - basically a CKD as the entire body with a one piece moulding to which ceiling, roof, bogies and trusses were added. A thick glazing strip slotted behind the windows. They were unpainted. I still have a rake, the main thing I had added was roof ventilators - I don't think they were in the original kit. 

Paul

I've been trying to work out what diagrams the suburban's most closely resemble.  I had worked it out back in the 90s before the Cloud Age of back ups but the 5.25" floppy I probably stored it on is long gone, as the machine I was using back then.  Anyone have any ideas?

Farish Suburbans 4mm scale: They're short for 57' stock at 221mm over ends, though just a little too long for the 54' stock. Details are Period II style. They made two bodies, basically a Third (if painted, painted as a Composite, but all compartments are the same size) and a Brake Third, but one side of the latter is an exact mirror image of the other side so all the doors hinge the wrong way! Well, except for the double doors, of course.

Ironically the N gauge versions are longer, around 58' to scale, but with a less satisfactory roof profile.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve been modifying a couple of N suburbans using a mixture of all 3rd and brake bodies to get away from the “mirror image” problem as much as possible, the intention being to alter the remaining doors with scalpel and Microstrip.  I think that with new roofs and some enhancements to the underframes they can be carved into a fair likeness of LMS n/c stock, but we shall see....

• Like 2