KR Models announce the Clayton DHP1

KR Models

We here at KR Models are proud to announce that we intend to produce the Clayton DHP1!

It was a demonstrator ordered by Rolls Royce to showcase their engines and hydraulic transmission, with help from Col Fell of 10100 Fell Loco fame. Clayton modified the Class 17 drawings to suit the requirement as they were designed around the same time, although the 17 was about 4 feet longer but the general layout was identical, testing didn't go to plan and it was soon relegated to works shunter for the final 2 Class 17's being built (the 2 with Rolls Royce engines).

https://krmodels.co.uk/collections/oo-gauge/products/clayton-dhp1

Clayton_DHP1_Half.jpg.3a742d33a2b910fb77f66ca2aea4a3af.jpg

Edited by KR Models
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Does this mean the Class 17 is on the way too? Do hope so (and the 23)

From the announcement:

"although the 17 was about 4 feet longer"

So there is likely little to be shared between the DHP1 and a Class 17 so it would need to be an entirely new model - perhaps a difficult sell when Heljan could just do another run for what is a niche class.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s definitely at the different, end of the scale.

I see this as being weirdly interesting, interesting enough to want one. It seemed to be on a number of localised freight workings for a couple of years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Edge said:

It absolutely cannot be denied that KR are going for it, they have rather cornered the ‘quirk’ section of the market with their OO announcements

Just like my father, we here love the weird and wonderful. - Michael

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColinK said:

That’s one loco I never expected to see in RTR.  I’ll have one though.

Now we need someone to make some new dmus, 104 and 120 please,.

.......and a 124 please.

and a 325 emu. Ta. 

• RMweb Premium

As an N gauge modeller I can’t help but be envious that 4mm can support quirky rtr models of short-lived one-offs, whilst, for example, there isn’t a single rtr LNER tank loco in N.  Or even a rtr Class 17...

Best wishes with the project though.

Richard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

FYI the correct link is

https://krmodels.co.uk/collections/oo-gauge/products/clayton-dhp1

ive put an EOI in, it might have only accumulated marginally more miles than 37419 in DBS livery, But it is the final gap in diesel prototypes to a full house.

After this its shunters / electrics and units...

But DHP1 is the missing gap.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I admire KR models for doing  DHP1 can't help thinking it could be a financial disaster for them 

Hardly any one has heard of it and it ran literally a handful of times on the mainline 

Surely a better return on investment would be do a high quality model of something like a 31 a loco that has a reasonable model on the market but has issues the same as Phil sutton has done with 24s and 25s

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Whilst I admire KR models for doing  DHP1 can't help thinking it could be a financial disaster for them 

Hardly any one has heard of it and it ran literally a handful of times on the mainline 

Surely a better return on investment would be do a high quality model of something like a 31 a loco that has a reasonable model on the market but has issues the same as Phil sutton has done with 24s and 25s

Its an expression of interest, this is to gauge whether it will be a success or not.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, russ p said:

Actually I think the inverse is true and they are doing the right thing...

Anyone doing a class 31 is asking for trouble, Hornby can turn two taps on overnight, with a Railroad and a Full Fat range of liveries, toolings are ready to go... more impactful than the class 66 or a Terrier.

I very much doubt anyone else will do DHP1... 

Heljan was successful with Lion, Falcon and Kestrel, and now 18000 and 89001.

Hornbys done the P2, Duke and are doing W1 and those stranger A2’s...
Bachmann and Dapol did 10000/1, Bachmann - Deltic.

KR.. GT3, Fell..

There’s clearly interest in  prototypes.

After DHP1, that’s pretty much it, 10800 remains..

Without DHP1.. there’s a gap in the set, just that it didn’t run much, hasn’t stopped Hornby making Rocket... its not as if that loco fits on everyone’s layout...unless your modelling Rainhill in 1980 or 1829.

D0260 Lion entered service in May 1962 -September 1962, and March 1963 - Jan 1964.. that’s Only 13 months.. it was scrapped years before DHP1.

Prototypes generally exist to be a prototype.. if its unsuccessful.. in the bin it goes... that’s what makes them interesting..., the mystery of what might have been...

A DHP1 will be a head turner on a layout.. a lot won’t be even prior aware of it, which is what drives the craving to know more about it..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

I love how KR is based in Alberta. Us Canadians, doing our part to further the OO gauge roster!

Picking up both a Clayton, Leader and likely a Fell.

Will these have interior lighting, firebox flicker on the Leader?

Definitely in the market for D7400-9 in a combination of Two-Tone Green with Small Yellow Panels (as built), Green with Full Yellow Ends (D7400/1/3/9) as painted at St Rollox during 1967), and the rather scarcer Blue with Full Yellow Ends (D7404*/6 repainted Inverurie 1967, and 7407 repainted St Rollox August 1968).  

* D7404 fitted with prototype ETS equipment for working Dundee - Blackpool Summer SO formed of Mk2 stock.

Brilliant announcement, fantastic news for Border Union Railway Co. modellers.  If you need access to the BURCo. company logo, I can provide it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Definitely in the market for D7400-9 in a combination of Two-Tone Green with Small Yellow Panels (as built), Green with Full Yellow Ends (D7400/1/3/9) as painted at St Rollox during 1967), and the rather scarcer Blue with Full Yellow Ends (D7404*/6 repainted Inverurie 1967, and 7407 repainted St Rollox August 1968).  

* D7404 fitted with prototype ETS equipment for working Dundee - Blackpool Summer SO formed of Mk2 stock.

Brilliant announcement, fantastic news for Border Union Railway Co. modellers.  If you need access to the BURCo. company logo, I can provide it.

Here we go.........................................................!!!!

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

There’s clearly interest in  prototypes.

After DHP1, that’s pretty much it, 10800 remains..

Nah - 18100 in two guises; D0226 & D0227; 11001; the Paxman DEMU prototype; several diesel railbuses; etc.

I'd have 'em all!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

you mean the lesser spotted class 32 ?

48 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

Here we go.........................................................!!!!

You said it...

I think Engineers Dutch livery would suit it well.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Michael (KR)

I know one of the 00 Poll Team has suggested 10800 to 'complete' the line up of prototypes (and that adds to comments from others above).

Perhaps the Class 70 Co-Co (20001-20003) might be worth looking at? The class generally comes in towards the high end of the High Polling segment of The 00 Wishlist Poll.

Although we have very often considered listing DHP 1 (and many others), it has never got onto our lists. To the best of my knowledge, I don't recall ever having had a request to list it.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Michael (KR)

I know one of the 00 Poll Team has suggested 10800 to 'complete' the line up of prototypes (and that adds to comments from others above).

Perhaps the Class 70 Co-Co (20001-20003) might be worth looking at? The class generally comes in towards the high end of the High Polling segment of The 00 Wishlist Poll.

Although we have very often considered listing DHP 1 (and many others), it has never got onto our lists. To the best of my knowledge, I don't recall ever having had a request to list it.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Bring on the Southern prototype electric locos.

All the best

Ray

• Funny 1