KR Models announce the Clayton DHP1

KR Models

Would this be the Railbus in question?

Bristol-Railbus.gif

Not quite finished I must add. Needs an interior, windscreen wiper and destination blind amongst other things. It is however a runner, DCC equipped and has working marker and interior lights.

Edited by Wagpnmaster
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Wagpnmaster said:

Bristol-Railbus.gif

Not quite finished I must add. Needs an interior, windscreen wiper and destination blind amongst other things. It is however a runner, DCC equipped and has working marker and interior lights.

Nice job, Wagonmaster.i have the kit, still in the box, no roof of course, have to make one. Paid £40 for it. There was one on eBay starting at 99.99 a couple of weeks ago, dropped to £76 before being withdrawn from sale I think. 

But to get back on topic I would love KR to produce one !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

Bristol-Railbus.gif

That doesn't look too bad at all !

I'll keep a look out for one.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I'd have a couple of those if someone made it in N.  Kato do a Pocket Line chassis that might be near enough so the body could be a 3D print.  I also have a Tomix KiHa 10 and a Fleischmann set so a British one would be an interesting contrast - the centre door is the key  difference. 

Going back to the topic, I would be interested in a DHP1 but only in N.

For me, an interest in prototype and other unusual locos is because I have twice as much 'normal' stock as I need for my layout so I can do something unusual and spend a bit of time actually modelling.  It does help that I'm retired now.

[IPW]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That doesn't look too bad at all !

I'll keep a look out for one.

John Isherwood.

I've got the basic parts of this kit - the cast sides and ends. They aren't too bad, considering their origin. I've never built it, mainly because the pressed aluminium roof that came with it was typical MTK. It didn't look like an ECW roof and it didn't fit the rest of the parts, either! I had planned to layer-up a solid Plastikard roof, sand it to shape and see if I could fit the thing on a Heljan chassis. I'm never likely to bother now, so I'll see if I can find the bits, if you want them? My next railbus project is Sc79979, the only AC railbus to get small yellow panels on its original light green paintwork. Plus of course, it needs horns on the roof and one or two other tweaks. Not sure about the folding steps on that one. The other four had theirs fitted at Swindon Works but I've a feeling the Scottish one didn't. (CJL)

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments chaps. Just for interest sake, the kit didn't come with a roof, but I made one out of a sheet of brass bent and trimmed to shape. It's a homemade chassis using a High Level Pacemaker motorising unit. This has a compensated trailing axle so ideal for a 4 wheel vehicle.

The interior uses some bus seats! These came from Mark Hughes who mainly does bus and tram parts, but Mark is very helpful and worth checking out.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 9 months later...
On 16/07/2020 at 21:10, stewartingram said:

I've got a partly built NNK (ex MTK) kit partially built!

On 16/07/2020 at 21:36, cctransuk said:

Does it bear any resemblance to a Bristol / ECW railbus?

I did at one time have a MTK Class 24 kit

The parts did bear some passing resemblance to assorted blobs of whitemetal

• Like 1

Just got this in my emails, as well as the prototype livery, there is also the unused BR Green and BR Blue versions on offer as well :o These look great, personally I would go for the Blue, what do other people think?

dhp1.png

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Lillian_R said:

Just got this in my emails, as well as the prototype livery, there is also the unused BR Green and BR Blue versions on offer as well :o These look great, personally I would go for the Blue, what do other people think?

dhp1.png

That's an interesting array of liveries! Not a big fan of fictitious liveries personally, so I'll just go with the prototype maroon and cream. Be interesting to see how many takers there are for the other versions though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Wagonmaster said:

That's an interesting array of liveries! Not a big fan of fictitious liveries personally, so I'll just go with the prototype maroon and cream. Be interesting to see how many takers there are for the other versions though.

I'm sorely tempted with a blue one but must resist for a while with a house move pending, certainly will be interesting to see if these other liveries get traction.

• Like 1

I was completely unaware of the existence of DHP1 until my subscription copy of 'Classic Diesels and Electrics' magazine issue 3 (December 1997/January 1998) turned up with an article by the Diesel Traction Group's Mark Alden describing this strange beast. The article mentions a test run with a 200-ton rake of seven coaches on the Churnet Valley line between Leek and Uttoxeter on 17 February 1964, followed two days later by another run, this time with a 230-ton unfitted freight over the same line. Both runs were entirely successful, but were only conducted because the Clayton team behind DHP1 refused to give up on it after Rolls-Royce effectively pulled the rug out from under it after just two day's testing which threw up issues with gear meshing in the forward/reverse mechanism in the gearbox. The same problem had been found and resolved on the WR's hydraulics, but R-R stated that, were they to go into diesel loco production, they wouldn't use the type of gearbox fitted to DHP1!

A drawing in Modern Locomotives Illustrated No 174 shows that the exhausts from each pair of engines were combined and passed through a single transverse silencer which then vented through one port per end (the right-hand windscreen 'stack' when looking from the radiator end). The side view appears to confirm this, so although it had four engines and apparently four exhaust 'stacks' two of the latter were presumably fakes! One other comment on the MLI photos, in the Works views in unnumbered condition with grey underframe detailing the upper cab appears to be cream (and is captioned as such); when released to testing with numbers and black underframe the upper cab is what Mark Alden describes as 'salmon pink'. I think the latter was always the case and the cream is just a photographic reproduction issue - perhaps somebody can confirm?

Since DHP1 was a diesel hydraulic I'm wondering if I can imagine that Swindon borrowed it for testing, much as they did with the YEC 0-8-0 'Taurus' and EE 0-6-0 D0226, and add it to my fleet of WR locos for a planned early 1960s diesel depot......hmm!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got admit all look appealing.

Green with a D87xx number...

Blue class 18xxx perhaps with lens covered headcode panel and headlight ?

I'm just gonna put this out there.  According to Clayton, the DHP1 never had a D number or a TOPS classification.  So what do you think it could have been for both locos?  We don't just want to pluck one out of thin air, but they still will need one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KR Models said:

I'm just gonna put this out there.  According to Clayton, the DHP1 never had a D number or a TOPS classification.  So what do you think it could have been for both locos?  We don't just want to pluck one out of thin air, but they still will need one.

Easy one first (in my view anyway!) - TOPS classifications were issued in horse power order, so with a total output of 1500hp DHP1 would have fallen between Class 31 (1470hp) and Class 33 (1550hp), so Class 32.

Number series - DHP1 just fell into the Type 3 power category but since the other three Type 3s already existed my own thoughts are:

D72xx (if it was already clear that Beyer Peacock was never going to build 300 Hymeks);

D74xx if this wasn't clear by then and no more than 100 DHP1s would be required; or

D78xx to leave 'space' for up to 200 examples.

The above assumes that construction of Class 25s in the D75xx number range had already been authorised but it hadn't been established how many would be built. 

That was fun! No doubt other opinions will be landing shortly!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, KR Models said:

You could do what Heljan do with their O Gauge locos and not put a number on at all, just leave it blank. That way, the individual can put on whatever number they want. 

A nice touch you could do is to supply a transfer number sheet with sufficient numbers to make pre-TOPS or TOPS numbers in with the model.

Just an idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Clayton has moved to the 'products' listed page available for people to put orders in it seems now on the website ^-^ I know I'm deffo gonna grab one, made up my mind with wanting the fictional BR Blue :D 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Lillian_R said:

The Clayton has moved to the 'products' listed page available for people to put orders in it seems now on the website ^-^ I know I'm deffo gonna grab one, made up my mind with wanting the fictional BR Blue :D 

The red/cream got me hooked. Authentic too. Oh dear, the back of the sofa was empty. :(

• Like 2

I would hazard a guess, that had the DHP1 been put in to production, they would have ended up in the Western Region but honestly it's quite difficult to see where they'd fit?? Given that the prototype was built in 1965, production "Clayton Type 3s" probably wouldn't have arrived until around 1967-68, when BR was already considering retiring the WR diesel hydraulics and the Class 14s were being withdrawn.

I definitely think they would have had a very short working life.

• Like 1