KR Models announce the Clayton DHP1

KR Models

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt put DHP1 against a 37.

It seems madness the 17’s were binned so soon, yet its even more madness so many were ordered without proper testing.

A quick search on BR Database shows only 3 x class 35 and 109 class 37s built between January 1964 and December 1967... type 3’s werent focus of everyones minds..

50x class 17 and 95 x class 20 were built.

However 221 class 25’s were built in that time frame, I suspect Clayton was eyeing that contract with a DHP1 as a beefed up class 17, but Clayton must have fallen out of ministerial favour just as quickly as they fell into it with the class 17 order...

Labour replaced Conservatives in October 1964.. last 17 was delivered April 1965.. First replacement 20.. January 1966.

Whats interesting is government focus, the belief in the future being Freightliner, Bogie tanker, MGR etc.. yet the locomotives ordered to pull them 17,20,25  over 350 locos were anything but suitable... ideally they should have built 600+ 47’s and 450+ class 37’s and not bothered with the Type2 orders.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

KR Models are offering a "DCC fitted" option.  I have e mailed them asking what decoder is being used.

Received a reply from Michael Revell as follows:

We are actually making our own decoders to fit, easily programmable. 21-pin, much like our sound decoders.

Has anyone any experience of these decoders? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the model DCC ready or DCC fitted.  The extra for fitted is £30

• Like 1

Original one ordered for me.

It will stand out from the crowd (in that livery) on the 'weird & wonderful' row/siding.

I have  TCS decoder spare and reserved for it.

Won't physically renumber it though it will be allocated a fictitious TOPS number on my database and decoded programmed as 3201!

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 14:51, Neil Phillips said:

Easy one first (in my view anyway!) - TOPS classifications were issued in horse power order, so with a total output of 1500hp DHP1 would have fallen between Class 31 (1470hp) and Class 33 (1550hp), so Class 32.

Number series - DHP1 just fell into the Type 3 power category but since the other three Type 3s already existed my own thoughts are:

D72xx (if it was already clear that Beyer Peacock was never going to build 300 Hymeks);

D74xx if this wasn't clear by then and no more than 100 DHP1s would be required; or

D78xx to leave 'space' for up to 200 examples.

The above assumes that construction of Class 25s in the D75xx number range had already been authorised but it hadn't been established how many would be built. 

That was fun! No doubt other opinions will be landing shortly!

Originally, I believe, the 33's were going to be 32 (33/0), 33 (33/1) and 34 (33/2). So either 32 or 34 would be good for me:)

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2021 at 10:50, Colin_McLeod said:

Received a reply from Michael Revell as follows:

Has anyone any experience of these decoders? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the model DCC ready or DCC fitted.  The extra for fitted is £30

Not had any knowledge of their decoders, however I quite like the idea of DCC fitted because it takes the aggro out of removing the body with the consequent possibility of damage. I'm never very keen on DCC ready or DCC sound fitted simply because I find sound very expensive., however, £30.00 or a decoder already fitted seems like a good bet to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2021 at 22:33, adb968008 said:

I wouldnt put DHP1 against a 37.

It seems madness the 17’s were binned so soon, yet its even more madness so many were ordered without proper testing.

A quick search on BR Database shows only 3 x class 35 and 109 class 37s built between January 1964 and December 1967... type 3’s werent focus of everyones minds..

50x class 17 and 95 x class 20 were built.

However 221 class 25’s were built in that time frame, I suspect Clayton was eyeing that contract with a DHP1 as a beefed up class 17, but Clayton must have fallen out of ministerial favour just as quickly as they fell into it with the class 17 order...

Labour replaced Conservatives in October 1964.. last 17 was delivered April 1965.. First replacement 20.. January 1966.

Whats interesting is government focus, the belief in the future being Freightliner, Bogie tanker, MGR etc.. yet the locomotives ordered to pull them 17,20,25  over 350 locos were anything but suitable... ideally they should have built 600+ 47’s and 450+ class 37’s and not bothered with the Type2 orders.

The Class 17s were an unmitigated disaster. They were checked by using them on a test train of carriages from Derby up the Midland Main Line through the Peak when brand new. They very frequently failed. The ones in the North East didn't last long before being moved to Scotland.

DHP1 never seems to have even made it to the mainline on trains.. a major white elephant..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Keith & Michael,

I've tried to order DHP1 via the e-mail I received on the 11 June.

The e-mail directs you to the order page, but there doesn't appear to be the option to pay via the payment plan as stated in the e-mail.

Could you advise please.

On 15/07/2021 at 11:19, D7100 said:

Hi Keith & Michael,

The e-mail directs you to the order page, but there doesn't appear to be the option to pay via the payment plan as stated in the e-mail.

Could you advise please.

Send us an email at michael@krmodels.co.uk and we'll look into it for you.

On 15/07/2021 at 11:19, D7100 said:

Hi Keith & Michael,

Could you advise please.

Actually it's step 5 and the bottom option.  

Edited by KR Models

2 hours ago, KR Models said:

Actually it's step 5 and the bottom option.  

Hi Michael,

Thanks for that, managed to get on the plan.

What through me when I initially tried to order, was like you say it's on step 5 but it refers to the 'Leader plan' rather than DHP1.

Anyway all sorted now. Cheers again.

Michael,

could you tell me please how the NEM coupler pockets are mounted on the DHP1?

- moulded directly into the bogie frame,

- simple pivot on the bogie,

- simple pivot on the body underside, or

- close-coupling mechanics (extending in curves) on the body undersides?

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What rolling stock would have run with this engine? And/or what would look good running with it? What do people think?

Not sure what to put behind mine when I get one. I'm thinking some wagons of some description, maybe coal trucks. Ideas?

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As far as I can make out, not much. It was used to shunt Class 17s around when they were under construction but once that project was finished, the DHP1 was no longer used. A clear case for Rule 1.

So the prototypical layout would be the Clayton works with a lot of unpowered Class 17s in the yard for it to play with.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Lillian_R said:

What rolling stock would have run with this engine? And/or what would look good running with it? What do people think?

Not sure what to put behind mine when I get one. I'm thinking some wagons of some description, maybe coal trucks. Ideas?

My recollection is that it was used on at least a couple of empty wagon test runs on the Derby to Crewe line.

CJI.

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

My recollection is that it was used on at least a couple of empty wagon test runs on the Derby to Crewe line.

CJI.

That would make sense. To establish that it was unsuccessful, it would have had to be tried. Unless, of course, it refused to move at all but even the 16s moved some distance.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Quite so - I can recall a photo of it 'somewhere' with some wagons behind it on a test run but whether it did more than one run I don't know.  If contemporaneous reports reflect what actually happened it never worked a revenue earning train and did very little mileage of any sort on BR.   Whatever its technical merits (or otherwise) one big problem for it was that as a multi-engine diesel hydraulic Type 3 it appeared at exactly the wrong time for BR with the decision already made to standardise on the EE Type3 diesel electric including the large order for the WR after competitive trials with the diesel hydraulic Hymek.    BR were probably also put off the design due to its association with the Clayton Type 1 (later Class17) and its early display of various problems even if they weren't representative of the prome movers in DHP1. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Quite so - I can recall a photo of it 'somewhere' with some wagons behind it on a test run but whether it did more than one run I don't know.

DHP1_02.jpg.3758e443a770a18b7594b4bea7a86cb6.jpg

Evidence that it was coupled, at least once, to an ex-SR RH ducket brakevan.

CJI.

• Like 1