KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

The Bulleid Leader, a desperately sought after model, finally coming to life.

The Leader was a class of experimental 0-6-0+0-6-0
articulated steam locomotive, 5 were planned but only one was completed, and was produced in the United Kingdom. It looked like a ‘new’ generation of diesel but was actually a steam powered loco. The Leader project was part of Bulleid's desire to modernise the steam locomotive based on experience gained with the Southern Railway's fleet of electric stock.

https://krmodels.co.uk/collections/oo-gauge/products/bulleid-leader

KR_MODEL__Leader_Half.jpg.0cebdb40a32e6734fba57a2fc454b60c.jpg

Edited by KR Models
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yes I'm interested. I already have a Golden Arrow one. This would look nice with my collection of Bulleid locomotives. All I need now is a Bulleid 0-6-0 shunter and all three electric locomotives to complete the set!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to KR Models!

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2015.

In the 2019 Poll, the loco was in overall equal position 25th.

All the best to KR Models with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A few points to note: 

The intention was in fact, and signed off by the board, to be a class of 30, but only the frames for the first 5 were laid down. 

The lined green livery was only a figment of the painting artist.

36001 ex works only carried 3 variations of the grey livery. 

Mixed traffic black was certainly discussed and 36001 [as corrected] was recorded inside the works in black but when she left the works for storage was in unlined grey. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

23 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

A few points to note: 

The intention was in fact, and signed off by the board, to be a class of 30, but only the frames for the first 5 were laid down. 

The lined green livery was only a figment of the painting artist. 

36001 only carried 3 variations of the grey livery. 

Mixed traffic black was certainly discussed and one (off the top of my head 36003)  was recorded inside the works in black primer but when she left the works for storage was in unlined grey. 

Yes, as I understand it 36002 was days away from her first steaming and possessed few of the construction errors that had plagued 36001 throughout her life when the project was cancelled. BR mixed traffic black was the preferred livery had the class entered revenue service and the nameplate ‘Winston Churchill’ was made up in wood for 36001 I believe.

I think it was 36001 that was done up in black temporarily inside of the works, as 36003 never had a completed bodyshell and the photo I remember is of a complete locomotive 

leaving aside romantic notions of the loco going on to form the new pattern of steam locomotive had the plug not been pulled, I doubt that the engines would ever have been successful - they were just bad designs, and too much was attempted with them for all of the kinks ever to have been worked out.

still, that doesn’t stop me making a pilgrimage to see 36001’s numberplate at York whenever I’m in the area and I’ll definitely get my name down for one of these models :). Top form :)

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold

A few years back the authenticated plates for 36002 and 36003 were auctioned off.

36002 was very much a nearly finished locomotive.

Theres pictures of both 36002 and 36003 here

http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_ldr/ldrClass.aspx

if we’re being creative, some accurate versions of 36001 would be a must, but an artists mock up Liveries featuring 36002 /3 might be interesting.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Spam Can Man said:

Yes I'm interested. I already have a Golden Arrow one. This would look nice with my collection of Bulleid locomotives. All I need now is a Bulleid 0-6-0 shunter and all three electric locomotives to complete the set!

I too would be up for a trio of Bulleid/Raworth Electric locos.
Hint hint.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

An interesting decision to make a model of these, but they are not articulated, they are just bogie mounted.

To use the + symbol there would have to be a physical connection between the two bogies (like on the EM1's). There was no connection between the bogies other than the frame, and should actually be described as C-C (you know like a diesel, two bogies, all wheels powered).

I'm tempted to have one, but there is really no justification for one....

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, uax6 said:

An interesting decision to make a model of these, but they are not articulated, they are just bogie mounted.

To use the + symbol there would have to be a physical connection between the two bogies (like on the EM1's). There was no connection between the bogies other than the frame, and should actually be described as C-C (you know like a diesel, two bogies, all wheels powered).

Andy G

Order first, then justify. That seems reasonable to me. :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I’m going to run one alongside a Bulleid with a Stanier tender, a green A4, the rocket, a black flying Scotsman, BR large logo class 66, a hush-hush, GT3 and an LBSCCR Atlantic.

if I can pull that one off, then I’m sure that justification won’t be a problem :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I take it that this is going to be modelled in 'as built' condition? I ask as the oil bath covers over the oscillating gear on each bogie didn't last very long, and revelled  the ends of the cylinders. I will also be interested to see how the open centre window in the end will be managed!

Andy g

Possibly the only model loco which will accurately represent the real prototype.

All those models sitting still in display cases or boxes will be as the real locos sitting around doing nothing.

I  REALLY  hope that the model goes ahead and makes KR Models money, however as a dedicated Southern Region modeller I do not feel the need to plant a £170 model in one of my sidings doing nothing !

Maybe KR Models could produce a non-motorised version to just sit still.

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Go on, you know you want one.

3 hours ago, uax6 said:

I take it that this is going to be modelled in 'as built' condition? I ask as the oil bath covers over the oscillating gear on each bogie didn't last very long, and revelled  the ends of the cylinders. I will also be interested to see how the open centre window in the end will be managed!

Andy g

Were the cylinders that good ?

Someone will have to produce a fireman figure in his vest hanging out of the window.

Ray

P.S. I like the moggy, I've got one of that type.