KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

On 09/02/2021 at 17:35, Wickham Green too said:

Most of them were grey .......... they didn't stay black for very long !

Have they specified what running numbers they will be ? The grey ones should be 36001 - an accurate combination of the only one to run + the only livery it carried - but given the black livery is fictitious and that the basic frames for 36002 + 36003 existed, isn't there a case for linking the black livery to one, or both, of these ? Might generate more sales for KRM too (ie, those who'd want more than one - it'd make me think).

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Grammar plus expanded comment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

How will the sound file be produced? Does anyone know how it should actually sound? 

Someone's going to sit in a loco cab with the firehole door left wide open and curse and swear into a microphone about it being too d...d hot in here.......

Just a thought

Les

• Funny 11

6 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

How will the sound file be produced? Does anyone know how it should actually sound? 

No- unless there's an extremely rare piece of footage out there with sound. The real odd ball, of course, was that it used sleeve valves; I've heard several IC engines with these running first hand (Bristol Centaurus - Sea Fury - and a straight configuration in a car - Voisin) and IMHO the beat is softer and quieter compared to a poppet-valved unit. 

I would guess taking the above into account that they'd sound more like a Bulleid with chain-drive gear than a conventional loco, but that is just a guess. 

Hopefully there's some very clever person out there who'll find a way of digitally producing it.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2021 at 00:33, WisTramwayMan said:

No- unless there's an extremely rare piece of footage out there with sound. The real odd ball, of course, was that it used sleeve valves; I've heard several IC engines with these running first hand (Bristol Centaurus - Sea Fury - and a straight configuration in a car - Voisin) and IMHO the beat is softer and quieter compared to a poppet-valved unit. 

I would guess taking the above into account that they'd sound more like a Bulleid with chain-drive gear than a conventional loco, but that is just a guess. 

Hopefully there's some very clever person out there who'll find a way of digitally producing it.

There is a 5" gauge live steam version but it only appears to have one power bogie and -  as ever - the exhaust rate makes if difficult to translate it to a full size engine's sound although it only sounds as if it is a two cylinder engine 9but difficult to distinguish.  Effectively the Leader is going to to sound like two three cylinder engines probably at times not synchronising and there seems to be no detail anywhere about the steam passages which might lead to a Garrett like effect on the exhaust sound.

There is also conflicting information  about its performance - the boiler was a typical Bulleid steam producer but at the same time there are comments about air leaks in the the smokebox causing a bit of blowing back from the fire which hardly squares with a reputedly strong exhaust.   So 99% of any sound is really going to be guesswork starting with whether or not the bogies stayed in sync  (very debatable with Bulleid valvegear as I know from talking, back in the 1980s, to one of Bulleid's former technical assistants that his boss got frustrated over valvegear chains stretching and causing engines to go offbeat.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is a 5" gauge live steam version but it only appears to have one power bogie and -  as ever - the exhaust rate makes if difficult to translate it to a full size engine's sound although it only sounds as if it is a two cylinder engine 9but difficult to distinguish.  Effectively the Leader is going to to sound like two three cylinder engines probably at times not synchronising and there seems to be no detail anywhere about the steam passages which might lead to a Garrett like effect on the exhaust sound.

There is also conflicting information  about its performance - the boiler was a typical Bulleid steam producer but at the same time there are comments about air leaks in the the smokebox causing a bit of blowing back from the fire which hardly squares with a reputedly strong exhaust.   So 99% of any sound is really going to be guesswork starting with whether or not the bogies stayed in sync  (very debatable with Bulleid valvegear as I know from talking, back in the 1980s, to one of Bulleid's former technical assistants that his boss got frustrated over valvegear chains stretching and causing engines to go offbeat.

Yes, I heard on several occasions that the chain stretched and the engine went off-beat. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, scots region said:

Any word? I was told it was going on sale on Monday

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with the website. We are working tirelessly to fix them. Unfortunately, this means that we cant go live with the Leader at this moment, but as soon as we can we will be sending out an email.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I see its now appearing on the website to place orders.

Couple of questions for KR Models:

- What is the deal with numbers, as there's no mention on the website of numbering, will there be transfers included for the customer to choose their own number?

- Also, no mention of lining on any livery, apart form a picture of 36001 in grey with lining and no crests and a picture of it with crests and no lining.

Could these be clarified as in both cases its a bit vague?

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I see its now appearing on the website to place orders.

Couple of questions for KR Models:

- What is the deal with numbers, as there's no mention on the website of numbering, will there be transfers included for the customer to choose their own number?

- Also, no mention of lining on any livery, apart form a picture of 36001 in grey with lining and no crests and a picture of it with crests and no lining.

Could these be clarified as in both cases its a bit vague?

Sure, I can answer your questions for you.

The numbering available will be 36001 with all the available liveries.

Prototype Grey no crests will be the lined livery, the others will not be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks - BR Black one ordered already!

Funny thing is - I nearly put it on the Diesel tab on my spreadsheet!   lol

Now I have an image in my mind of (when they are on the layout) a pairing of the Leader and GT3 together and asking a non-enthusiast to pick the steam locomotive?   

Really excited by the KR Locos - thanks for taking these on.

You make them and we'll buy them!

Class 84 next please! lol

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, KR Models said:

Sure, I can answer your questions for you.

The numbering available will be 36001 with all the available liveries.

Prototype Grey no crests will be the lined livery, the others will not be. 

Might I just ask a question in case I've missed it somewhere earlier.

Will there be enough room to allow for rewheeling to suit P4/18.83mm gauge? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Might I just ask a question in case I've missed it somewhere earlier.

Will there be enough room to allow for rewheeling to suit P4/18.83mm gauge? Thanks.

This is all part of the design process.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine just ordered - no crest grey. Bit of a stetch to justify it by calling it a new build for the preserved railway, but hey, its my model :)

Can i also say, truly biblically brilliant customer service from KR models as well

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Edge said:

Bit of a stetch to justify it by calling it a new build for the preserved railway, but hey, its my model :)

That's what rule #1 is all about! :good:

That way I can justify not only this but the GT3!

I’ve been debating these for my SR and GW layout since it was announced and I could stretch to one in prototype grey. 36001 was delivered in July 48 and so Rule 1 could allow a few early test runs in late 47 with the loco marshalled on a test train before the Black Death encroached on everything! But it would need a dynamometer car and another rake of coaches. Hmm! Before I know it I’ll be in for £500+. Afraid I’ll pass and stand firm this time. I applied the same rule to The Kerosene Castle when that was announced and in hindsight that was the right decision. I’m sure it will be a fantastic model and I look forward to seeing one but it doesn’t quite fit my Grouping era setup. Disappointed yes but realistic definitely!