KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2021 at 16:49, KR Models said:

First renders of the artwork.

LeaderNewsLetter3.jpg

I've only just caught up with this thread  and noticed the artwork. 

The lined grey version should be a 1/2" Black outer line (not red) followed by an 1.3/4" grey (most likely body colour) then an 1/8" red inner line. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I've only just caught up with this thread  and noticed the artwork. 

The lined grey version should be a 1/2" Black outer line (not red) followed by an 1.3/4" grey (most likely body colour) then an 1/8" red inner line. 

I have discussed this with KR Models and correct artwork is in place.

Hopefully it will be the version they use.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2021 at 22:00, Graham_Muz said:

Spanner-In-The-Works Alert ! 

The latest H.M.R.S. 'Points' reports - courtesy of John Harvey - that Barry Fletcher recorded the lining in September 1950 as "formed of panels consisting of a 0.5 in. black line outside and [another black] 0.125in. line inside." and "There was no red or white in the lining" .................. you can't beat a contemporary observation - so that's as near to 'gospel' as we're going to get !

( Yes, I bet he actually wrote 1/2" &  1/8" rather than decimalising ! )

Edited by Wickham Green too

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Spanner-In-The-Works Alert ! 

The latest H.M.R.S. 'Points' reports - courtesy of John Harvey - that Barry Fletcher recorded the lining in September 1950 as "formed of panels consisting of a 0.5 in. black line outside and [another black] 0.125in. line inside." and "There was no red or white in the lining" .................. you can't beat a contemporary observation - so that's as near to 'gospel' as we're going to get !

( Yes, I bet he actually wrote 1/2" &  1/8" rather than decimalising ! )

I am aware of Barry Fletcher's record and actually I  have a copy of his hand written notes that were a mix  of written from memory and reference to photos after visits to Eastleigh, however other contemporary images and reports including a personal discussion with John Click are in conflict with them. 

(yes Barry does use 1/2" and 1/8", and also does not use the word Black but 'bk' which is of course shorthand for black.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.................. you can't beat a contemporary observation  -  until you get two contemporary observations that disagree !

which has been known on other occasions to indicate that something was not the same on both sides..........

Just a thought

Les

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest update in the KR Models news letter today states:

"Tooling is complete and the EP samples are being assembled as we go to press. Once testing has been completed and any issues resolved we'll arrange for the decorated samples to be completed. Delivery is expected to be 2nd qtr of 2023."

Would be nice to see an actual final cad though, to see what we are actually getting?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Anything that arrives will be better than I can manage with a kit, and looking at the fidelity of the GT3 and Fell I don’t think I have anything to worry about :) 

was hoping for a 2022 delivery, but that was based upon my own totally uninformed and uninvolved reckoning :) 

Edited by Edge
  • Funny 1

On 21/01/2022 at 11:06, Graham_Muz said:

"Tooling is complete and the EP samples are being assembled as we go to press. Once testing has been completed and any issues resolved we'll arrange for the decorated samples to be completed. Delivery is expected to be 2nd qtr of 2023."

In the same news letter they say the exact same thing for the Clayton DHP1 and the Hunslet BO-BO (the last with an extra phrase saying "order book will be open soon").

Edited by JSpencer
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, SteffanLlwyd said:

I have seen a YouTube video of the sleeve valves being tested.  The motion was complex.  Unfortunately I can’t find the video at the moment.  Can anybody supply the link or the search terms for it?

The footage is likely to have been taken down as it as from film footage taken by the late John Click , who worked with Bulleid, and was passed to the NRM whom now own the rights. 
I was lucky enough to have met John Click many years ago and spent quiet a few hours discussing the Leader with him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The footage is likely to have been taken down as it as from film footage taken by the late John Click , who worked with Bulleid, and was passed to the NRM whom now own the rights. 
I was lucky enough to have met John Click many years ago and spent quiet a few hours discussing the Leader with him. 

It was very Interesting talking to him about Bulleid and chain driven valve gear and the work the y did with the makers of the chain to try to reduce the likelihood of it stretching in use - a fascinating man to talk to. (I met him when i was visiting the works which was constructing a certain broad gauge replica engine.(  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Images from their newsletter below, not sure why the aperture for the  fireman's window frame to be inserted is quite so large as the window top did not extend into the cantrail curve...

1580990989_KRLeader_1.jpg.2fd65d95597c83f0e7c6e7a4fd74cc8b.jpg

527394984_KRLeader_2.jpg.6a72b5f5045405d5501e561110ecf9f9.jpg 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The more I look at this the more I am niggled by something I can't quite put my finger on... it worried me from the glimpses of the Cads images that I put down to the poor perspective view, but there is something about the overall proportions especially the depth of the cab and the gap between the underside of the cab and the bufferbeam that doesn't seem quite right? 

I caveat that I do have, and fully paid for, one of these on order, and that I only have the same EP images as above to go by. 

Is it just me...? 

Edited by Graham_Muz
Typo correction

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Is it just me...?

It may be just the perspective, but the whole cab front looks too wide to me wrt the buffer beam. The windows appear stretched in width and likewise the top of the door where it slopes in doesn't look quite right.

Has the body taper towards the ends been rendered correctly?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

maybe - just MAYBE - they've had to widen the cab end so the bogie has enough swing room for toy train curves !!?!

As for the gap between the underside of the cab and the bufferbeam not seeming quote quite right ............ well, it never looked right on the real thing - so the model's probably OK !

As the cab taper starts only 8'6" back from the front and still well in front of the bogie pivot centre line there is no way the cab width / taper should affect  bogie swing. 

The gap between the bottom edge of the cab and Bufferbeam should be as per the the prototype regardless and that is what is being compared to, not if the prototype looks ok or not.... lets not worry about scaling dimensions anymore then as it appears that close enough is good enough... 

I  THINK  that this is the same trick that David Jones and other smaller manufacturers have done in the past of adjusting the CAD view to reverse the perspective.  The further end is bigger than the nearer end.   That is their choice, but at this stage of production where no other manufacturer is likely to challenge them I think the importance of selling their model to prospective buyers should overcome their caution.

I think that polite request(s) to KR Models to show the correct perspective might work.

• Agree 1