Hornby class 56036

SouthernBlue80s

Seeing as I started the  - can we have the Bachmann class 45 thread. And after us wingeing and telling them they were looking a gift horse in the mouth...we now have Bachmann and Heljan OO 45s in the offing.

Hopefully Hornby might read this.

For us that model 70s and 80s BR. We remember 56s rumbling for much of their lives about in BR blue or large logo.

Hornby's superdetail 56 is a great model. And when blue 56013 comes up on eBay they are snapped up. There seems to be lots produced in privatised liveries, fair enough there is a market for that. However there are very few super detail ones from the blue days.

A gifthorse Hornby is looking in the mouth is 56036. The first loco in large logo. It could be run on layouts in anytime in the 80s even 1979. So it has a broad timeframe as it were. So if there is a 56 to produce in 2021 that's the one.

I wonder if Hornby read RM like Heljan and Bachmann do.

A blue Class 31/4 would fly off the shelves as well but that's another a subject (I suspect especially if they slapped a white strip down the side of it)

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Agree 3

I agree. Never saw it as a kid as I was down south but I’ve a black and white picture of it in one of the legendary OPC books running through burton.

Hornby are very slow at pumping out popular liveries and quite often go off at a tangent with one offs or colour schemes that then end up in the bargain bucket. You never quite feel DE is a priority for them ( 8 pin decoder anyone ?), and that their real market is steam.

Having said that when I contacted Simon Koehler suggesting a DB 60 rerun he was very enthusiastic to assure me that it was on its way . And it was .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hornby did the large logo BR livery in the form of 56084 (R3181) some time ago.

And is fairly difficult to get hold of now. It took some finding. As was my 56082 and 56013. 
There is the demand out there for 1980’s/90’s Blue and Grey and Hornby do seem to take their time drip feeding that era models to us. 

The class 31 is woefully short of examples out there. No  31/4 in Blue, and Mainline intercity. No refurbished  31/1/2/3 in Blue, and Railfreight (non red stipe).
I feel like a stuck record the amount of times I’ve mentioned it on here and to Hornby at shows. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Seeing as I started the  - can we have the Bachmann class 45 thread. And after us wingeing and telling them they were looking a gift horse in the mouth...we now have Bachmann and Heljan OO 45s in the offing.

Hopefully Hornby might read this.

For us that model 70s and 80s BR. We remember 56s rumbling for much of their lives about in BR blue or large logo.

Hornby's superdetail 56 is a great model. And when blue 56013 comes up on eBay they are snapped up. There seems to be lots produced in privatised liveries, fair enough there is a market for that. However there are very few super detail ones from the blue days.

A gifthorse Hornby is looking in the mouth is 56036. The first loco in large logo. It could be run on layouts in anytime in the 80s even 1979. So it has a broad timeframe as it were. So if there is a 56 to produce in 2021 that's the one.

I wonder if Hornby read RM like Heljan and Bachmann do.

A blue Class 31/4 would fly off the shelves as well but that's another a subject (I suspect especially if they slapped a white strip down the side of it)

23 minutes ago, 66738 said:

And is fairly difficult to get hold of now. It took some finding. As was my 56082 and 56013. 
There is the demand out there for 1980’s/90’s Blue and Grey and Hornby do seem to take their time drip feeding that era models to us. 

The class 31 is woefully short of examples out there. No  31/4 in Blue, and Mainline intercity. No refurbished  31/1/2/3 in Blue, and Railfreight (non red stipe).
I feel like a stuck record the amount of times I’ve mentioned it on here and to Hornby at shows. 

Cabbed 036 at Toton Open Day 1979 - was a newish paintjob but not ex-works.

There you go :D

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, owentherail said:

Didn't a shop repaint a load to 56036 in large logo and sell as a Ltd edition

I seem to recall Olivias did but they used the wrong bodyshell, it had the later transrail grills.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a SD Class 56 as well, but not for 'stupid prices'.

I purchased a perfectly operating used EWS SD 56 from Hattons last year for £80.

One BR blue one went for £191, USED! Beautiful model it undoubtably is, that is sheer stupidity!

Loco's worth as much as somebody's willing to pay, and well done the seller.

We need more of these blue ones ... at a 'normal price'.

Being used, bain to some but I love it, perhaps the fan doesn't even work any more ... and the earlier lighting contacts may be problematic - only problem with the EWS one I have, which is resolved.

Al.

50 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm looking for a SD Class 56 as well, but not for 'stupid prices'.

I purchased a perfectly operating used EWS SD 56 from Hattons last year for £80.

One BR blue one went for £191, USED! Beautiful model it undoubtably is, that is sheer stupidity!

Loco's worth as much as somebody's willing to pay, and well done the seller.

We need more of these blue ones ... at a 'normal price'.

Being used, bain to some but I love it, perhaps the fan doesn't even work any more ... and the earlier lighting contacts may be problematic - only problem with the EWS one I have, which is resolved.

Al.

It's cyclic in this hobby.

Class 37 Green Ben Cruachan (that one really was bonkers at times)

Lima Class 60 LOADHAULS  - Swinden Dalesman

Lima Freightliner 66

Bachmann Modelzones 45 46

Bachmann First NW "Star" 158 (Guilty as charged on that one)

Heljan Cargowaggon IPA seem to be in vogue.

All went for daft money .

Ian

Hornby aren't interested in the blue era diesel market. This has gone on for years, with many repeated bread and butter livery requests. In this age, as has happened with Bachmann, it's no doubt only a matter of time before a new manufacturer steps in and offers a completely new, current standard tooled loco, never mind just a desired livery. My money would be this happening to the class 31 first. And with regards to the 'ridiculous' prices being asked for a Romanian 56, don't forget the rrp of most of the Hornby diesels is now up to £180. 

Edited by blueeighties
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Hornby aren't interested in the blue era diesel market. This has gone on for years, with many repeated bread and butter livery requests. In this age, as has happened with Bachmann, it's no doubt only a matter of time before a new manufacturer steps in and offers a completely new, current standard tooled loco, never mind just a desired livery. My money would be this happening to the class 31 first. And with regards to the 'ridiculous' prices being asked for a Romanian 56, don't forget the rrp of most of the Hornby diesels is now up to £180. 

Fortunately more work for you Lee if modellers are really keen in what they require.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2020 at 10:03, 66738 said:

if you want a Blue 56 or 31, you can bet if a competitor announced it, then it would be on the shelves tomorrow.

• Agree 1

And then they do the Floyd livery... that’s got to be the ultimate white elephant... assuming they don’t have. a change of heart or there is a massive east European market hiding.

Probably an internal arrangement whereby Hornby staff own half of the (rare) blue BR SD Class 56 locomotives - sort of part of a long-term Christmas bonus I reckon .... when in need of extra, just sneak the odd one onto the market ...

True or not, there's definitely a huge market for them!!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47164 said:

And then they do the Floyd livery... that’s got to be the ultimate white elephant... assuming they don’t have. a change of heart or there is a massive east European market hiding.

Eastern European modelling is growing much faster than British modern image modelling... that’s for sure. Polish railways alone has seen more than a dozen new loco toolings, and probably as many coaches, plus units in recent years. There’s a good chunk of Czech, Romanian and Russian toolings too...even duplications...

Indeed my guess is why UK models are slow to arrive, is in part due to finding the workshop queue for toolings a little more crowded than it used to be.

Whilst the 56 is OO, it’s cheap compared to European prices, and with fat chance a HO 56, I suspect some european modellers may buy it, I will be buying one to sit amongst my MAV V41, V43, V63, M62, M61, M44 and M41 Hungarian HO fleet.

Edited by adb968008