Nce 2 amp power cab DCC Controller

Kit7148

Hi,

I'm just moving from a mix of analogue and DCC (no they weren't connected) to wholly DCC with 3 ovals and several sidings. I intend to generally run 3/4 locos/DMUs on the ovals (maybe occasionally a couple more for short periods) and maybe some shunting. Will the 2 amp NCE power cab be sufficient or will I need the 5 amp version?

I'm not too worried about powering points at this time.

Thanks for any advice

Chris

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 10:50, RAF96 said:

Railmaster can record and allow a user to modify programs which will follow a sequence of timed events, which could be seen as automatic control of a sort. E.g. running locos for speed and direction, operating functions, operating points and signals and applying conditional events

No idea why the above popped up but I couldn't delete it! 

Sorry Mallard but your answer was vague. Did you mean the 2 amp will be sufficient or the 5 amp?

I'm planning on running Heljan class 33, Bachmann class 159 and 117 DMU and a couple of others at the same time. Will this be too much for the 2amp?

2A should be fine.

Locos/trains only draw their maximum current when accelerating with a heavy load. If you also have sound or lights on when stationery, these draw very little extra.

By default, the PowerCab displays scale time on the display, which I find useless. This can be changed to display amps, which I find much more useful. I only use it as a rough guide but I find it surprising how little current is usually drawn.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the 2-Amp PowerCab system on my layout, and find it is absolutely sufficient when I have at least a dozen locos / multiple units on my layout, with at least half of them sound fitted. I find they don't seem to draw much more than 0.48 amps, even with frog juicers on the layout.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2020 at 14:54, Pete the Elaner said:

2A should be fine.

Locos/trains only draw their maximum current when accelerating with a heavy load. If you also have sound or lights on when stationery, these draw very little extra.

By default, the PowerCab displays scale time on the display, which I find useless. This can be changed to display amps, which I find much more useful. I only use it as a rough guide but I find it surprising how little current is usually drawn.

HI Pete.

How do you change the display to amps instead of time please - I agree, the scale time display is rather pointless (although I do see how some folk would use it!).

Thanks in advance, stay safe, well and happy everyone.

22 minutes ago, 08221 said:

HI Pete.

How do you change the display to amps instead of time please - I agree, the scale time display is rather pointless (although I do see how some folk would use it!).

Thanks in advance, stay safe, well and happy everyone.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203522189-Power-Cab-Ammeter

• Thanks 2