Digikeijs DR4018 overloading Peco PL-11?

Michaelaface

hey everyone, I'm currently wiring up my layout for DCC automation, and in my initial tests (literally 1-2 throws of a point) I'm noticing that my peco pl-11 point motors, which are connected to a Digikeijs DR4018 are getting incredibly hot, and one unit has failed completely, its internal components melted, and this is with barely any use

has anyone had any issues like this before? I've had a search but can't find anything similar to the issues I'm having, I'm not entirely sure which part of the chain is causing the problem here, and I'm a little hesitant to go via trial and error in case I damage any more point motors

the failure occurred when switching the point via rocrail on my PC, however I tested another point using the Z21 app on my phone and noticed a considerable amount of heat was still being generated

Would changing the pulse times on the relevant apps solve the problems? or changing the pulse duration on the DR4018? (7.3 in the manual, although it's a little confusing)

or would a different type of solenoid be ideal? I have gaugemaster PM4s and a PM20 also connected and they don't seem to have any issues

thanks
Michaela 

To me it sounds like the point motors are on for too long

Solenoid motors should only be powered long enough for them to operate, maybe less than 1/2 sec

I had a look in the manual. Setting CV47 to 0 looks to be what is needed for twin coil point motors

One test you may like to try is connect 2 LEDs to the outputs for one of the  point motors (I.E. disconnect the point motor & replace it with 2 LEDs(with resistors) or 12V lamps)

Operate the point & one LED should flash, Operate the point again and the other LED should flash

If the LEDs flash for more than 1/2 seconds or stay on then something needs sorting & that is something I don't think I can help you with

John

The DR4018 will generally not work with Peco/Seep style solenoid motors which are very inefficient and draw too high a current.

The solenoids that it fires successfully are typically the ones built into Fleischmann and similar turnouts which are low current. 

You probably need an accessory decoder with a built-in Capacitor Discharge Unit.  This supplies the large current the solenoids need, but only for a short period so won't burn them out.  I use the MERG kits which work fine and will even throw two Peco or Seeps in parallel, but you have to be a member of MERG to buy them and they are self-assembly kits needing moderate soldering skills.  I don't recall which commercial decoders have CDUs.  

re my choice of solenoid decoder, I bought it after it was recommended in this thread 

8 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

The DR4018 will generally not work with Peco/Seep style solenoid motors which are very inefficient and draw too high a current.

The solenoids that it fires successfully are typically the ones built into Fleischmann and similar turnouts which are low current. 

it's firing all solenoids successfully and has done for 2 years though? I recently the fiddle yard of my layout, and there are some places where only surface mounted solenoids will fit, which is why I have some peco PL-11s, now it throws these fine as well, it just they get incredibly hot, and one has melted

I agree and I had been running PL10e with them but I was advised by the actual designer that Peco and Seep draw more current than the DR4018 are designed to handle (PL10e were on the limit) and that I could expect to burn out the DR4018. I now use MTB MP10 motor with the same DR4018, much better motor in so many ways.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I agree and I had been running PL10e with them but I was advised by the actual designer that Peco and Seep draw more current than the DR4018 are designed to handle (PL10e were on the limit) and that I could expect to burn out the DR4018. I now use MTB MP10 motor with the same DR4018, much better motor in so many ways.

Ahh I see, bloody model trains, guess investing in the newly in stock DCC concepts solenoid decoders it is then

20 hours ago, John ks said:

To me it sounds like the point motors are on for too long

Solenoid motors should only be powered long enough for them to operate, maybe less than 1/2 sec

I had a look in the manual. Setting CV47 to 0 looks to be what is needed for twin coil point motors

One test you may like to try is connect 2 LEDs to the outputs for one of the  point motors (I.E. disconnect the point motor & replace it with 2 LEDs(with resistors) or 12V lamps)

Operate the point & one LED should flash, Operate the point again and the other LED should flash

If the LEDs flash for more than 1/2 seconds or stay on then something needs sorting & that is something I don't think I can help you with

John

there is an LED on the unit that says when the command is being executed, not sure if it says on for the duration of the pulse though, I have tried changing the pulse time, but to no noticeable effect

14 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

You probably need an accessory decoder with a built-in Capacitor Discharge Unit.  This supplies the large current the solenoids need, but only for a short period so won't burn them out.  I use the MERG kits which work fine and will even throw two Peco or Seeps in parallel, but you have to be a member of MERG to buy them and they are self-assembly kits needing moderate soldering skills.  I don't recall which commercial decoders have CDUs.  

yeah I've decided I can't be bothered messing about with it any more and have just ordered the DCC concepts one