Chivers Kits

• RMweb Gold

Elsewhere on RMWeb it was claimed that D120s were rare compared to pre-grouping variants. Hugh Longworth's book shows 55 D120s at Nationalisation and 131 NER D171 (6 wheel brake)  46 NER D185 (6 wheel brake for pigeon traffic) and over 100 of other 6 wheel brake vans of other pre-grouping designs so I can understand why some people think the D120 should be one of the less-common designs but there seems to be an obsession for them (And I have two in the roundtuit pile so am also guilty!).

Just realised D120 is 4 wheel so trawling the book again...!

Apparently the NER ones were seen all over the LNER hence me asking them if they plan to produce these.

Edited by Bucoops
Just realised I may be talking Rot as the D120 is a 4 wheel brake...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok so there are very few 4 wheel brake vans at grouping so the D120 is the largest quantity. But presumably that is becuase the 4 wheelers weren't as useful as the 6 wheelers?

I'm going to go and hide now :D

• Funny 2

25 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ok so there are very few 4 wheel brake vans at grouping so the D120 is the largest quantity. But presumably that is becuase the 4 wheelers weren't as useful as the 6 wheelers?

I'm going to go and hide now :D

Incoming!!!;)

• Funny 3

The D120s were initially built for the GE Area because they seem to have insisted on different vehicles to every other area (who made do with bogie BGs).

They must have been seen as useful as later 3 different diagrams were built using recycled carriage underframes of roughly similar length to produce very similar vehicles, principally for the GC Area.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 07/07/2020 at 09:34, Bucoops said:

Elsewhere on RMWeb it was claimed that D120s were rare compared to pre-grouping variants. Hugh Longworth's book shows 55 D120s at Nationalisation and 131 NER D171 (6 wheel brake)  46 NER D185 (6 wheel brake for pigeon traffic) and over 100 of other 6 wheel brake vans of other pre-grouping designs so I can understand why some people think the D120 should be one of the less-common designs but there seems to be an obsession for them (And I have two in the roundtuit pile so am also guilty!).

Just realised D120 is 4 wheel so trawling the book again...!

Apparently the NER ones were seen all over the LNER hence me asking them if they plan to produce these.

Good Evening Bucoops,

you are somewhat  misquoting me. What I said, was that they get far too much attention from modelers, out of all proportion to their real word worth. There were more numerous, more typical medium sized LNER vans, with a wider geographical spread, doing the same kind of work and more. I thought it was sad that these don't get much of a look in from railway modelers, while the dia. 120s proliferate in model form in such an artificial manner.

The second point that I would make, is that manufactures, have consistently failed over the years to produce an accurate model of a dia. 120 van. This unfortunately includes the Chivers kit. It is a smashing little kit to put together but it is way too short in height between the cornice and bottom of the sides. The roof has been made higher than it should be, to accommodate the short sides, it also has an LMS style ducket as supplied. It has been surmised by others, that this was done deliberately to match the old Kik kits. As a result, the kit doesn't match the excellent Hornby non gangway carriages, which it should but doesn't, for the reasons already outlined. Finally, that horrible nickname that  the dia 120 vans have acquired, makes feel sick. I can't stand the smell of pigeons, so sick van would be more appropriate.

The lucky thing for those wishing to exhibit their layouts, is that the presence of one of these little critters, is likely to keep me away, for fear of chucking up on your  beautifully crafted scenic features.

Edited by Headstock
add which
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good Evening Bucoops,

you are somewhat  misquoting me. What I said, was that they get far too much attention from modelers, out of all proportion to their real word worth. There were more numerous, more typical medium sized LNER vans, with a wider geographical spread, doing the same kind of work and more. I thought it was sad that these don't get much of a look in from railway modelers, while the dia. 120s proliferate in model form in such an artificial manner.

Apologies Andrew, i did get in a bit of a muddle - I couldn't find where I'd seen it so rambled on a bit...

• Thanks 1