Bachmann GP30 Body Removal

I may be a little bit stupid here, but I can’t seem to work out how to get the body off a GP30 diesel.  I need to get inside to do some lubrication, as it runs with a bit of a screech.  I saw an article elsewhere on the net that said remove the fuel tank, then undo two screws, only there aren’t any other screws visible when I remove the fuel tank.  Photos attached of loco, one showing the underside with fuel tank removed.  Any ideas welcomed!

2E1F656A-F074-43BD-9C26-6D1631D47AF6.jpeg.b1fcf8e61cc50a5f793de93d87dc7e79.jpeg

0C23C353-FAF7-47A2-A414-1011F31CCE9B.jpeg.33f6953ed4645d402c3f9dc4db59f908.jpeg

Hi SImon,

My guess would be to simply (carefully) spread the bodyshell, starting at the fuel tanks and working towards each end. Sometimes, I use thinned coffee stirrers to start the prising and/or keep the body separated as it can ping back into it's secure position.

Another way of holding the body on is via the coupler boxes so make sure it's not them holding the body on.

Hope this helps,

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I found the tabs that Long Island Jack mentioned, and that did the trick.  Once I put small levers in both sides, the bodyshell came straight off.  The loco has now been lubricated, the screech is now gone, and it runs very nicely indeed.      Job done!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just what I was looking for! I also have a GP30 (Bachmann) purchased off ebay, and I need to remove the shell for paint stripping prior to painting in my customised livery. I will be soaking it in Dettol, yes Dettol, to remove the current colour. It is a "crap" job of painting, a kindergarten kid could have done a better job! Dettol doesn't affect any clear plastic such as windows. Never knew an antiseptic could act as a paint stripper! This will be the 3rd shell I have stripped the paint back.  It also has all the hand rails missing which I want to replace.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement railings and stanchions from? FWIW I'm in Australia. I have checked on Bachmann's website but no luck there. I believe GP35 uses the same parts, but I would prefer the GP30 parts.. One thing I noticed is that one side has 8 stanchions and the other side has 9. if you look at the shell side with short hood on the left, there is 8 holes where the stanchions fit.

FWIW the part numbersare : 76005-00D01 (x2), 76005-00D02, 76005-00D03, 76005-00D04, 76005-00D05

Hoping someone can help me.

Ian

gp30 handrails.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The 'two screws under the tank' removal method is for Proto 2000 GP30's.  Bachmann tend to go for the clips method as discussed but pretty much all will require the removal of the coupling boxes first.