32-217A LT Pannier Tank L92

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

It's back on the Bachmann website. Probably just a little web gremlin.

I'll be interested to know how well this version sells compared to say the wartime black GWR example. Not long to wait now.

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'll be interested to know how well this version sells compared to say the wartime black GWR example. Not long to wait now.

I think it will sell well. It’s a very attractive livery and I have two earlier versions. I’m sure Bachmann has calculated that it will go on selling well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2020 at 08:05, gwrrob said:

At thr moment, anything in a colourful, unusual or pre grouping livery sells. I think the market has been saturated with good quality BR black and green models over the last 15 to 20 years and demand is not there anymore. At the moment, I reckon even a Hornby Black 5 in Floral Wallpaper livery would sell.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Billystanier said:

I reckon even a Hornby Black 5 in Floral Wallpaper livery would sell.

As the late, great Cyril Freezer might have said, a black 5 even in floral wallpaper livery is still a black 5.:D

5 hours ago, Billystanier said:

At thr moment, anything in a colourful, unusual or pre grouping livery sells. I think the market has been saturated with good quality BR black and green models over the last 15 to 20 years and demand is not there anymore. At the moment, I reckon even a Hornby Black 5 in Floral Wallpaper livery would sell.

I beg to differ. I just think those that want garish and unusual liveries tend to shout louder. Look at the Hornby Terrier and H Class threads, all the Southern and BR black ones went straight away without hardly a mention.

Black Fives are a good example. Do you ever see them heavily discounted? I never do. Same goes for BR Blue diesels. They are steady sellers that don't go out of fashion.

I would put these in the same basket. Steady sellers that will stay in the catalogue for a while. There always seems to be a strange obsession on things needing to sell out immediately for it to be a success. If Tesco sells out of milk then that's a failure. I would hope that a model would stay available for at least the duration of the catalogue. If not a couple of years after.

Jason

• Agree 5

On 22/07/2020 at 21:56, Paul.Uni said:

Coming soon

They look... glossy... I hope it's just a CGI render and the light shining off them is just to make them look like shiny new models and that they won't actually be like that. I've wanted a lined black pannier for some time (partly from seeing my brother's N gauge one and partly from seeing the real 9600 at Melton Mowbray on a railtour) but I'm not sure if I'm better off with the new one (which I think is 32-205A - running number 8771) or the older 32-201 (I think - running number is 8763) if I can find one on Ebay or the pre-owned sections of Hattons/Rails. Over in the 'Bachmann Availability to March 2021' topic it was stated that this latest batch might have coreless motors and I have a vague recollection of reading once that coreless motors have a problem with old controllers. My main controller is a HM2000 and if I ever get a big enough layout to need more than 2 feeds I have one or two of the old Hornby train set controllers (possibly R965, they look much like this anyway) and something even older I inherited (I'm not sure if it still works, haven't needed to find out). Would the new model render all my controllers obsolete and force me to buy a replacement?

Also, I've yet to pluck up the courage to renumber anything, but it's something I would like to do in future. It appears from the glossy video that the number plates are printed flat (so are not raised detail) so it should be possible to cover them up with etched plates without too much difficultly. Is that correct? If I do renumber, the target loco would I think be 9600 unless anyone knows of any that ever ran on the CardiBach (it's plausible since there were given the necessary yellow weight restriction in BR days).

Edited by Rhydgaled

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

They look... glossy... I hope it's just a CGI render and the light shining off them is just to make them look like shiny new models...

Don't see them being glossy at all, just light reflecting off the handrails.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The GWR black version definitely has a satin/gloss finish on this batch.

16214968_DSCN6939(2).JPG.45eed3d4842ee9d00c475941c003ec2e.JPG

The Black 5 behind the pannier ( Hornby? ) appears as matt finish and gives to my eyes anyway the distinct impression that you are correct.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just seen the Pannier in action on ANTB thread .The most attractive online   branch line train I have seen in a long time. I like....big time ( for a very small train ).Such character. Bravo you and TBG.

Straight out the box Ian, no work done on her yet.