Double slip Cobalt point motor wiring & Z21 config

Jamie Smith

Hi,

Can anyone advise how you configure double slip points in the Z21 software?

The software suggests that each of the two point motors (Cobalts) have been assigned 2 unique addresses, but when I test them they both switch at the same time! In effect, the crossing will only act in slip configuration and not allowing cross over option! 

Do I have to set up each point motor individually? What I’m currently doing is setting both of the points to ‘Set’ first, selecting the double slip point option in the Z21 software and then flicking both points to ‘Run’. My guess is the software is assigning both points the same reference number?? 

Kind regards,

Jamie

On 06/07/2020 at 09:42, Jamie Smith said:

Hi,

Can anyone advise how you configure double slip points in the Z21 software?

The software suggests that each of the two point motors (Cobalts) have been assigned 2 unique addresses, but when I test them they both switch at the same time! In effect, the crossing will only act in slip configuration and not allowing cross over option! 

Do I have to set up each point motor individually? What I’m currently doing is setting both of the points to ‘Set’ first, selecting the double slip point option in the Z21 software and then flicking both points to ‘Run’. My guess is the software is assigning both points the same reference number?? 

Kind regards,

Jamie

You are correct that the Z21 is giving them both the same number.

The Z21 software automatically allocates 2 addresses, but when you try to program the Cobalts with the RUN/SET switch, they only receive the higher address from the Z21 double slip icon as it is effectively a two-step macro.

You have to create "dummy" points with the Z21 (with the same two addresses) and then program each motor individually.

Then fine-tune the Z21 double slip logic (by altering the 1/0 configuration) until they work correctly.

The same solution applies to the 3-way point and also setting Cobalt addresses using the ESU ECoS.

It's a foible of the Z21 and ECoS - nothing to do with the Cobalt motors

Best Regards,

The DCC Concepts Team