Hornby Buses 100 new announcement

Hilux5972

There seems to a minor typo ("Bonns Road" :huh:) on the front of the No.20 bus in the image on the Hornby shop web site:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/Hornby-centenary-bristol-lodekka-bus-Hornby-100-liverpool-no-20.html

They seem like a nice idea ... 

Jeremy

p.s Image not uploaded as I don't wish to break any copyright rules

Edited by JeremyKarl
Removed image

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I'm wondering if there's any particular reason for it? I'm not seeing the bus/Lodekka connection to Hornby's anniversary? Or am I overthinking, is it just a nice model for the sake of it (and thankfully not yet another Routemaster!)?

As far as I know, when Lodekkas were around Liverpool Corporation never used them, and Liverpool buses were never painted red. A green Crosville one would be nice!

Anyhow I've enough buses for all the bridges on my layout... :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Which begs the question, if your layout has no bridges do you need any buses at all? :huh:

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

As far as I know, when Lodekkas were around Liverpool Corporation never used them, and Liverpool buses were never painted red. A green Crosville one would be nice!

A combination of a Liverpool Corporation  bus with a Binns Road destination and an East Kent with the Westwood destination, both complete with Triang/Hornby advertising might have been nice, and slightly less random

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Invicta said:

A combination of a Liverpool Corporation  bus with a Binns Road destination and an East Kent with the Westwood destination, both complete with Triang/Hornby advertising might have been nice, and slightly less random

Agree. If they must have a 1950s/60s red bus to represent Liverpool, they could use Ribble (or at a stretch Lancashire United), but neither ever had Lodekkas.

Margate was always served by East Kent, their buses were red and cream too, but guess what, they had no Lodekkas either.

Goodness knows why they chose the Lodekka model, unless Corgi was already producing a run of red Lodekkas.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Andy W said:

Agree. If they must have a 1950s/60s red bus to represent Liverpool, they could use Ribble (or at a stretch Lancashire United), but neither ever had Lodekkas.

The Ribble buses that worked into Liverpool always looked uniquely ugly and were always filthy, there was red under the muck but they were never clean and shiny. They always came from the North into the city, terminating at the bus station next door to Lime Street station. They'd never go anywhere near Binns Road...

12 hours ago, Andy W said:

Goodness knows why they chose the Lodekka model, unless Corgi was already producing a run of red Lodekkas.

The most probable reason!

• Like 2

Am I missing something?  We're quibbling about the livery when it's plastered with Hornby / Triang advertising.  Is there going to be another post complaining that the 7 plank wagon never had 'Father's Day' painted on it?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

24 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Am I missing something?  We're quibbling about the livery when it's plastered with Hornby / Triang advertising.  Is there going to be another post complaining that the 7 plank wagon never had 'Father's Day' painted on it?

Agree, they are clearly aimed at Hornby collectors. The one issue I can see is that it would have been better if the Binns Road one had slightly different adverts, Hornby Dublo instead of Triang Railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

ah, but this one will fit under lower bridges

• Funny 3

22 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think I must be getting old, because the thing that’s amazed me wasn’t the livery, or the fact that such a bus never went near their factory, but the price ...... nearly £20 a piece for a 00 bus.

Wow, that's cheap nowadays for a RTP bus! And a resin kit is £50 or more. Might be worth getting for a repaint.

When Corgi originally produced the Lodekka, it had a number of detail parts fitted that others didn't, such as mirrors, handrails, even the blind winders on the front. Mind you, the "cream" rubber of the window seals was done as a print on the glazing (later much improved). I wonder if it was chosen as a "best example" model? Or if is sans these details?

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Because collectors will buy any old sh!t and subsidise the rest of us?

Mike.

I hope you are right.

For 2012 when Hornby got it very wrong.

As others have pointed out they could have done a much better job of marking this event with a tad more thought.

It sounds like taking the micky to me.

I thought Hornby wanted to be taken as a serious model train supplier, but this is harking back to the bad old days.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I hope you are right.

For 2012 when Hornby got it very wrong.

As others have pointed out they could have done a much better job of marking this event with a tad more thought.

It sounds like taking the micky to me.

I thought Hornby wanted to be taken as a serious model train supplier, but this is harking back to the bad old days.

Bernard

It will get worse, there'll be a fridge magnet, baseball cap and mug to come yet!

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Yeah this looks to me like someone jumping on a band wagon . All the 100 anniversary items (with the possible exception of the commemorative wagon) have all been well thought out  , Sir Nigel Gresley set , Rocket etc all extremely relevant to the history of the company .  But it looks to me that someone has thought oh these items are selling well , lets capitalise and stick Hornby on the side of a bus . What have we got .....oh a Lodekka , aye that looks quite old that' ll do.   £39.95 a bit over priced .  I m reminded of the Olympic fiasco .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It will get worse, there'll be a fridge magnet, baseball cap and mug to come yet!

Mike.

There's mugs and pens available already!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/centenary-year-collectables-Hornby-centenary-mug.html

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/centenary-year-collectables-Hornby-pen.html

Now you've mentioned it, a hat in a US Loco Engineers style is sure to follow...  :jester:

Anticipating with dread tie-in offerings from Airfix and Scalextric.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I think I must be getting old, because the thing that’s amazed me wasn’t the livery, or the fact that such a bus never went near their factory, but the price ...... nearly £20 a piece for a 00 bus.

It's worse than that....not £40 for the two but £38.99 each !

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

My reaction exactly - I thought £40 for the pair! :)

£40 for a pair of Bristols seemed quite acceptable, but I'm not interested in just the one for that price. 

• Funny 7