LBSC123

Shalfleet Quay, Isle of Wight 1927-35.

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi will.

You can get nice white metal point levers form Dart Castings. I think that if you look through their etched brass range, they also do brass ones as well.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Picked up my Carisbrooke yesterday as well.

Thanks Ray, I’ll take a look.

The Carisbrooke livery is wonderful isn’t it? The Terriers are superb runners too. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

May I ask how you attach the track to the baseboards and what is your plan for turnout actuation? I ask because if you are using turnout motors, they require a ‘firm foundation’

We are also considering the use of 5mm foamboard for a layout on an elevated viaduct, hence conventional flat boards are not an option.

Thanks and Stay Safe

Hi Jack.

I’ve used Gaugemaster Seep point motors mounted directly to the base of the board with a hot glue gun. They seem very well attached, so I think they should stand the test of time. The track is just held down with PVA glue on the cork base, it was pinned and weighed down to help it hold its position where necessary. 

You could go with 10mm foamboard and the locating pin for the tiebar would still be plenty long enough.

Hope that helps.

Will 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Decided that the hottest day of the year was a good day to make a start of ballasting the track. 

The ballast is sand courtesy of Swanage beach, washed with clean water and sieved to remove any larger grains or natural material and then left to dry in the sun for a week. This is held down with the standard PVA and water plus washing up liquid mix. 

IMG_6458.JPG.346d5584fade85226a3131a6af97439a.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG.40d9423698a4ac66db4d31fc66ad9ea1.JPG

IMG_6461.jpg.b16803462adde709eb176f39e93be6be.jpg

I think it's a fairly good representation of the Shingle ballast found on the Isle of Wight. 

More soon. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I’ve just realised something: I think your layout is the cover of the current NT handbook.

1155A6C3-8AE2-4AD6-A76F-2FD8BE0DFACF.jpeg

On 23/07/2020 at 15:39, wainwright1 said:

Hi LBSC.

Saw your appeal for a Kernow 02 in Southern livery. I would have liked one of those to, but they seemed to sell out very quickly and they have never re-run them. I did ask the question a while back as to whether Kernow might produce some more 02s, especially the Isle of Wight ones in malachite and olive liveries. 

never say never.... ;)

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

never say never.... ;)

* Eagerly awaits further news with baited breath:o

I’m very much enjoying the build and it’s quality so far. I will keep following it with interest as I quite like quayside layouts...

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I’m very much enjoying the build and it’s quality so far. I will keep following it with interest as I quite like quayside layouts...

Thanks for the kind words Graham, I’ll be chuffed if I can get it to look half as good as Canute Road Quay. 

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve just realised something: I think your layout is the cover of the current NT handbook.

1155A6C3-8AE2-4AD6-A76F-2FD8BE0DFACF.jpeg

A wonderful photo and thanks for sharing. 

It’s going to require a fair bit of thought to capture the flavour of the marshes. It’s slightly woodier on the Shalfleet side of the Creek, so I will attempt to have some marshes blending into the trees at the edges of the board.

Thoughts on how to model this appreciated! 

Spent a few hours getting the Peco Bullhead buffer stops weathered and painted up. I think they look pretty good although I'll probably re-do the red lines with some masking tape. 

IMG_6482.jpg.d0a1060ead33a0dc50ed910ef82924d9.jpg

IMG_6467.JPG.fe1c01f2facaf1956d11d577d4e16b1e.JPG
I've made a decision to go for wood for the quayside, and have placed an order for this. So expect more progress on that and the landscape later this week. 

I'm hoping to emulate some of Luke Towan's work on this diorama for the river: 

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

Found a bit of time over the last few days to make a bit more progress on the layout, namely with the ground terrain. This was made from 'Sculptamould' over polystyrene formers. 

I am planning to model the layout with the water at 'half tide' so there will be plenty of water for a vessel alongside the quay but still some potential for some mudflats/shore at either end of the layout.  I need to pick up the latest Model Rail Magazine for info on how Chris Nevard did this. 

IMG_6526.JPG.fbaa2d13300e3d9be3bafa25ea430788.JPG

The Sculptamould is currently drying, but then I'll paint this and the rest of the ground covering in burnt umber. This will then enable me to make a start on the quayside wall and DAS for some of the areas of Hard standing on the quay. 

For the quayside, I have settled on a wooden side. To construct this I have obtained some 3mm x 1.5mm wooden strip and some 5mm x 5mm Balsa for the uprights and rubbing strips. I will need to chop and weather this to length before fitting, but the photo below shows some of the wood offered up, and I think it will look quite effective. 

IMG_6532.jpg.84766c5465c22df6caad4e4414618980.jpg

More soon. 

• Like 2