Shalfleet Quay, Isle of Wight 1927-35.

LBSC123

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi will.

You can get nice white metal point levers form Dart Castings. I think that if you look through their etched brass range, they also do brass ones as well.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Picked up my Carisbrooke yesterday as well.

Thanks Ray, I’ll take a look.

The Carisbrooke livery is wonderful isn’t it? The Terriers are superb runners too. 

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

May I ask how you attach the track to the baseboards and what is your plan for turnout actuation? I ask because if you are using turnout motors, they require a ‘firm foundation’

We are also considering the use of 5mm foamboard for a layout on an elevated viaduct, hence conventional flat boards are not an option.

Thanks and Stay Safe

Hi Jack.

I’ve used Gaugemaster Seep point motors mounted directly to the base of the board with a hot glue gun. They seem very well attached, so I think they should stand the test of time. The track is just held down with PVA glue on the cork base, it was pinned and weighed down to help it hold its position where necessary. 

You could go with 10mm foamboard and the locating pin for the tiebar would still be plenty long enough.

Hope that helps.

Will 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Informative/Useful 1

Decided that the hottest day of the year was a good day to make a start of ballasting the track. 

The ballast is sand courtesy of Swanage beach, washed with clean water and sieved to remove any larger grains or natural material and then left to dry in the sun for a week. This is held down with the standard PVA and water plus washing up liquid mix. 

IMG_6458.JPG.346d5584fade85226a3131a6af97439a.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG.40d9423698a4ac66db4d31fc66ad9ea1.JPG

IMG_6461.jpg.b16803462adde709eb176f39e93be6be.jpg

I think it's a fairly good representation of the Shingle ballast found on the Isle of Wight. 

More soon. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2020 at 15:39, wainwright1 said:

Hi LBSC.

Saw your appeal for a Kernow 02 in Southern livery. I would have liked one of those to, but they seemed to sell out very quickly and they have never re-run them. I did ask the question a while back as to whether Kernow might produce some more 02s, especially the Isle of Wight ones in malachite and olive liveries. 

never say never.... ;)

• Round of applause 3

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I’m very much enjoying the build and it’s quality so far. I will keep following it with interest as I quite like quayside layouts...

Thanks for the kind words Graham, I’ll be chuffed if I can get it to look half as good as Canute Road Quay. 

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve just realised something: I think your layout is the cover of the current NT handbook.

1155A6C3-8AE2-4AD6-A76F-2FD8BE0DFACF.jpeg

A wonderful photo and thanks for sharing. 

It’s going to require a fair bit of thought to capture the flavour of the marshes. It’s slightly woodier on the Shalfleet side of the Creek, so I will attempt to have some marshes blending into the trees at the edges of the board.

Thoughts on how to model this appreciated! 

Spent a few hours getting the Peco Bullhead buffer stops weathered and painted up. I think they look pretty good although I'll probably re-do the red lines with some masking tape. 

IMG_6482.jpg.d0a1060ead33a0dc50ed910ef82924d9.jpg

IMG_6467.JPG.fe1c01f2facaf1956d11d577d4e16b1e.JPG
I've made a decision to go for wood for the quayside, and have placed an order for this. So expect more progress on that and the landscape later this week. 

I'm hoping to emulate some of Luke Towan's work on this diorama for the river: 

Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

Found a bit of time over the last few days to make a bit more progress on the layout, namely with the ground terrain. This was made from 'Sculptamould' over polystyrene formers. 

I am planning to model the layout with the water at 'half tide' so there will be plenty of water for a vessel alongside the quay but still some potential for some mudflats/shore at either end of the layout.  I need to pick up the latest Model Rail Magazine for info on how Chris Nevard did this. 

IMG_6526.JPG.fbaa2d13300e3d9be3bafa25ea430788.JPG

The Sculptamould is currently drying, but then I'll paint this and the rest of the ground covering in burnt umber. This will then enable me to make a start on the quayside wall and DAS for some of the areas of Hard standing on the quay. 

For the quayside, I have settled on a wooden side. To construct this I have obtained some 3mm x 1.5mm wooden strip and some 5mm x 5mm Balsa for the uprights and rubbing strips. I will need to chop and weather this to length before fitting, but the photo below shows some of the wood offered up, and I think it will look quite effective. 

IMG_6532.jpg.84766c5465c22df6caad4e4414618980.jpg

More soon. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Following protracted problems with the wiring for the point motors, which was eventually traced to the copper tape I had used, I have been able to make some more progress on the layout. 

In the intervening period I have painted the ground cover in burnt umber. The next job I tackled was the quayside, the planks of this are made from 3mm x 1.5mm strip wood, and the upright supports will be made from 5mm x 5mm Balsa wood.

IMG_6876.jpg.74a9a612a66ef177b2f130fd2cc50e9f.jpg

Planks after weathering prior to fitting. 

I first chopped these into scale 30ft lengths and gave the planks a preliminary wash with some black, grey and dusty coloured acrylic paints. These were then glued to the wall side. The joints will be covered with the 5mm Balsa wood, weathered in the same manner, then all of this will receive weathering to tie it in together, alongside gluing a representation of some sea weed. 

IMG_6890.jpg.b4072c21a47715f927c841fba6d5b081.jpg

Planks glued into place. 

IMG_6889.jpg.a3558882c0e3e8ef54f8a71a62dc8f60.jpg

A rough mock up of the Balsa wood rubbing strip and uprights. 

I quickly offered up some Balsa wood to give an idea of what the uprights will look like, naturally these will be weathered, evenly spaced and level when it comes to fitting them properly!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Will.

Starting to look good.

Don't forget to apply some green slime between the high and low water line. I have a pot of appropriate paint, AK Slimy Green Light, that I bought from Hobby Holidays and used on the harbour on our St Mellion layout. It gives a very good effect.

Following the recent announcements with regard to EFE Rail, it looks like there might be possibilities for some more of the O2s, with hopefully an upgrade to the motor/gear and weighting specification, perhaps hinted at by Graham Muz.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Still no sign of our club re-opening at the moment.

Hi Ray, 

Thanks for the advice regarding light green slime, there's certainly a lot more weathering to do in the whole quayside area and I shall look to get some of that paint. I've also been reading the 'Country Gate' website which has some useful tips about seaweed which I will seek to emulate too: http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/water.htm 

The photo below nicely shows some of the affects I'll be attempting to replicate. 
IMG_6918.jpg.d02fc195df8bdd65311c0079dc6b309d.jpg

I agree regarding the O2s, I'm hopeful EFE do produce another batch, we shall see!

More soon. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning  LB. 

I've just caught up with progress to date and very much enjoyed it. Really like the way you've treated the woodwork. 

I have plans to have a wooden faced platform on my next layout so very timely. 

Rob. 

8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning  LB. 

I've just caught up with progress to date and very much enjoyed it. Really like the way you've treated the woodwork. 

I have plans to have a wooden faced platform on my next layout so very timely. 

Rob. 

Thanks for the kind words Rob, The weathering is just a few simple washes of black, grey and tan acrylic paints.

At some point I'll dry brush the planks and do some detailing work to represent nails and strapping, alongside adding seaweed, which should really bring it alive. 

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Will.

A shot of the quayside from our St Mellion layout showing the weathering.

1029883524_StMellionHarbourNew12014.jpg.48bb86726a74fb442c52e49451d55432.jpg

All the best

Ray

Thanks for the photo Ray, it looks good, and certainly gives me something to aim for!

Over the last few days, I've been working on the upright supports for the quayside.

As I've mentioned previously these are made from 5x5mm Balsa wood. After some measuring, I chopped these into 3 different lengths, then using a Stanley knife, smoothed off some of the edges and took some chunks out of these, to give the representation of what I imagine these would look like after a good few years being knocked by various ships. These then got the same acrylic washes as the other plans and were superglued into place.

IMG_6934.JPG.a0aa7ec958cd0f2d098c5a8a4c335c8a.JPG

Supports cut to length and painted. 

IMG_6951.JPG.82b4f2559fd79a9bd1725c9467152c8e.JPG

Gluing the supports into place.

IMG_6956.jpg.105422ae087eb1cae963864020d24590.jpg

Completed quayside. 

IMG_6953.jpg.fcc2791bbbfb8c3063bd2d1cc3d07cf0.jpg

There's still a lot of weathering and detailing work to do to this part of the Layout, but this has really brought the quayside alive. 

More soon. 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Will.

That's certainly starting to take shape.

You will have start building coal wagons en masse to fill up the sidings, assuming that is what the bulk of the traffic would have been ?

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray,

You're not wrong with the need for a fair few coal wagons! This is most definitely on the to do list. With regard to traffic, I am thinking: coal, shingle/sand from dredging, fish, passenger luggage/parcels, the odd tanker wagon for parafin, Blue Circle chalk wagons, Cattle/horses, plus the occasional passenger train and P-way train.

Some of that will require a bit of modellers licence, but it should give suitable variety. 

I'll need to get cracking on the wagons soon! 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Always good to see another island layout. I've built quite a few of the Cambrian LBSC opens, they go together well and are a fraction of the cost of the smallbrook ones - it's worth replacing the buffer heads with turned ones though as the moulded plastic ones are rather blobby.

I've also built the IWCR brake van mentioned on page 1, from a Slater's kit and some plasticard to create the second verandah. There's drawings in one of the southern wagons books

Edited by Nick C

On 23/08/2020 at 18:04, Nick C said:

Always good to see another island layout. I've built quite a few of the Cambrian LBSC opens, they go together well and are a fraction of the cost of the smallbrook ones - it's worth replacing the buffer heads with turned ones though as the moulded plastic ones are rather blobby.

I've also built the IWCR brake van mentioned on page 1, from a Slater's kit and some plasticard to create the second verandah. There's drawings in one of the southern wagons books

Thanks Nick! Do you have any advice for where to get the turned ends from? 

Do you know which book the drawings are in? I've been gradually trying to acquire more books related to the island. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, LBSC123 said:

Thanks Nick! Do you have any advice for where to get the turned ends from? 

Do you know which book the drawings are in? I've been gradually trying to acquire more books related to the island. 

I think the ones I used came from Wizard models (https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/loc412/).

The island-specific wagons are in volume 2 - LBSCR and Minor companies (ISBN 0860932206), but the others are worth getting too as some LSWR and SECR stock got sent over as well.

There's no shortage of island railway books, my personal favourites being the "once upon a line" series by Andrew Britton, and also his two "Ryde by Steam" books

• Like 1

The two I kept when I had a massive book clearance just before lockdown are Vol 1 and 2 of "Southern Rails on the Isle of Wight" by Ian Drummond.

They aren't as detailed as some, but contain a good, well illustrated, potted history of everything.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 15:39, Nick C said:

I think the ones I used came from Wizard models (https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/loc412/).

The island-specific wagons are in volume 2 - LBSCR and Minor companies (ISBN 0860932206), but the others are worth getting too as some LSWR and SECR stock got sent over as well.

There's no shortage of island railway books, my personal favourites being the "once upon a line" series by Andrew Britton, and also his two "Ryde by Steam" books

On 25/08/2020 at 16:08, Nearholmer said:

The two I kept when I had a massive book clearance just before lockdown are Vol 1 and 2 of "Southern Rails on the Isle of Wight" by Ian Drummond.

They aren't as detailed as some, but contain a good, well illustrated, potted history of everything.

Thanks both for the book recommendations, I'll certainly be investing in some of these mentioned to compliment the 'Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway' and 'Isle of Wight Railway' books already in my collection. 

Have you seen a new Isle of Wight book which I picked up at the Ian Allan shop last week.

Isle of Wight Railway Art by Roger Simmonds, published by the Transport Treasury. Softback £14.50.

Despite the title, this is a book of railway photos virtually all previously unpublished. A lot of them are early post WW2, so there are pictures of all the lines including the ones that closed early on. It is laid out line by line with a useful selection of views, generally of good quality. There are quite a few shots of terrier 13 Carisbrooke working trains on the Ventnor West Branch, so you can pose your recently issued Hornby model. 

I hope that this is of interest.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 1