Shalfleet Quay, Isle of Wight 1927-35.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

That film is absolutely excellent. The wagons are lettered 'VECTIS', of course.

The short section showing the Motorail loco pulling skips of clay is as good as the standard gauge material, and that is first class.

Thanks for correcting my

dodgy spelling I was getting confused with the bus company(?), now amended! 

It’

34 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Will.

That film was remarkable and amazing that it was on the cement works that we are interested in. It said that the cement works closed down in 1934 shortly after the film was made. Now the question is when was the wagon livery changed from the yellow Blue Circle livery (and why).  Did Blue Circle sell the works on ?

I have seen at least one photograph of the train of wagons in the Blue Circle livery in transit, although I do not know what date it was taken or which book it was in at the moment.

Upstairs Downstairs has produced wagons with the Vectis branding., although fairly basic printing and a bit spaced out by the look of it. I think that it is now sold out. Are there any good pictures of the wagons in this livery ?

More scope for models. I wonder what we will find next.

All the best

Ray

P.S. have you seen the new blog for a layout of Brading ?

Yes, I have seen a photo of them too, possibly in ‘Stroudley and his Terriers’ but I will have to do some digging on this, I’ll get back to you!

image.jpeg.f073e7a1d8f5756112d32660e460374c.jpeg

This is a photo I’ve seen of the VECTIS wagon, although I have heard there are some problems with the accuracy of the livery in addition to the wagon used as a basis. 

I had missed the Brading layout, but it looks right up my street! Thanks for highlighting.

The cement works ceased production in 1944 although it had been on reduced output for several years.

Most of the output went by sea which had become difficult due to the war.

The company had become part of Associated Portland Cement in 1900 though the Blue Circle livery was not applied until very late (late 20's?).

After production ceased the works remained as an APC depot now receiving cement by boat for local use.

Final closure in recent years (1980's?)  The plant remained largely intact until this date.

Pete

• Like 1

Sadly I've not had any time to progress the layout due to work constraints but I thought I'd show you all a picture of the newly acquired O2 which was delivered to a friends’.

It is a pre-production model so lacks the motor of gearbox but I managed to pick up a spares or repairs jobby on the internet with a damaged body, so I will make a good one out of the two. After that I'll re-number it and work on removing the motor gear. I'm currently thinking of going for one of the early O2s to the island and modelling it without a nameplate but we shall see....

122112673_785669971998692_8425186327167815053_n.jpg.aad73c420a1f21dff19134313d866709.jpg

I MAY have accidentally bought a Rails Terrier too... 

More soon. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Is that Fishbourne ?

I am still contemplating it, but am not impressed with the latest review. What does yours look like ?

All the best

Ray

Yes, W9 Fishbourne. It hasn't arrived ye but I will give an honest report when it does! 

Edited by LBSC123

The Rails Terrier arrived...it’s a lovely model and in my opinion slightly finer than the Hornby offering.... Unfortunately mine has a bent running plate at the rear, leaving a gap between the bunker and running plate, so back to Rails it goes.... ho hum! 

41923B61-0AFF-40A7-9539-F848A833F365.jpeg

Edited by LBSC123
  • RMweb Gold

That's really annoying, I have been lucky with my two (I have to Hornby ones as well), but yes you should send it back for a replacement.

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Sadly I've not had any time to progress the layout due to work constraints but I thought I'd show you all a picture of the newly acquired O2 which was delivered to a friends’.

It is a pre-production model so lacks the motor of gearbox but I managed to pick up a spares or repairs jobby on the internet with a damaged body, so I will make a good one out of the two. After that I'll re-number it and work on removing the motor gear. I'm currently thinking of going for one of the early O2s to the island and modelling it without a nameplate but we shall see....

122112673_785669971998692_8425186327167815053_n.jpg.aad73c420a1f21dff19134313d866709.jpg

I MAY have accidentally bought a Rails Terrier too... 

More soon. 

Let me know if you need any specific body parts as I have a couple of slightly cannibalised pre production unpowered, (albeit mainland versions), so can't help with the motor and gearbox,  O2s sat on my desk...

Edited by Graham_Muz
8 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

That's really annoying, I have been lucky with my two (I have to Hornby ones as well), but yes you should send it back for a replacement.

Yep I will do, I’ve heard they’ve been pretty good on returns so I expect it will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

Let me know if you need any specific body parts as I have a couple of slightly cannibalised pre production unpowered, (albeit mainland versions), so can't help with the motor and gearbox O2s sat on my desk...

Thanks @Graham_Muz, the body appears complete but I haven’t actually seen it myself, so I will keep you posted! 

• Like 1