Shalfleet Quay, Isle of Wight 1927-35.

LBSC123

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

That film is absolutely excellent. The wagons are lettered 'VECTIS', of course.

The short section showing the Motorail loco pulling skips of clay is as good as the standard gauge material, and that is first class.

Thanks for correcting my

dodgy spelling I was getting confused with the bus company(?), now amended! 

It’

34 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Will.

That film was remarkable and amazing that it was on the cement works that we are interested in. It said that the cement works closed down in 1934 shortly after the film was made. Now the question is when was the wagon livery changed from the yellow Blue Circle livery (and why).  Did Blue Circle sell the works on ?

I have seen at least one photograph of the train of wagons in the Blue Circle livery in transit, although I do not know what date it was taken or which book it was in at the moment.

Upstairs Downstairs has produced wagons with the Vectis branding., although fairly basic printing and a bit spaced out by the look of it. I think that it is now sold out. Are there any good pictures of the wagons in this livery ?

More scope for models. I wonder what we will find next.

All the best

Ray

P.S. have you seen the new blog for a layout of Brading ?

Yes, I have seen a photo of them too, possibly in ‘Stroudley and his Terriers’ but I will have to do some digging on this, I’ll get back to you!

image.jpeg.f073e7a1d8f5756112d32660e460374c.jpeg

This is a photo I’ve seen of the VECTIS wagon, although I have heard there are some problems with the accuracy of the livery in addition to the wagon used as a basis. 

I had missed the Brading layout, but it looks right up my street! Thanks for highlighting.

The cement works ceased production in 1944 although it had been on reduced output for several years.

Most of the output went by sea which had become difficult due to the war.

The company had become part of Associated Portland Cement in 1900 though the Blue Circle livery was not applied until very late (late 20's?).

After production ceased the works remained as an APC depot now receiving cement by boat for local use.

Final closure in recent years (1980's?)  The plant remained largely intact until this date.

Pete

• Like 1

Sadly I've not had any time to progress the layout due to work constraints but I thought I'd show you all a picture of the newly acquired O2 which was delivered to a friends’.

It is a pre-production model so lacks the motor of gearbox but I managed to pick up a spares or repairs jobby on the internet with a damaged body, so I will make a good one out of the two. After that I'll re-number it and work on removing the motor gear. I'm currently thinking of going for one of the early O2s to the island and modelling it without a nameplate but we shall see....

122112673_785669971998692_8425186327167815053_n.jpg.aad73c420a1f21dff19134313d866709.jpg

I MAY have accidentally bought a Rails Terrier too... 

More soon. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Is that Fishbourne ?

I am still contemplating it, but am not impressed with the latest review. What does yours look like ?

All the best

Ray

Yes, W9 Fishbourne. It hasn't arrived ye but I will give an honest report when it does! 

Edited by LBSC123

The Rails Terrier arrived...it’s a lovely model and in my opinion slightly finer than the Hornby offering.... Unfortunately mine has a bent running plate at the rear, leaving a gap between the bunker and running plate, so back to Rails it goes.... ho hum! 

41923B61-0AFF-40A7-9539-F848A833F365.jpeg

Edited by LBSC123

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Sadly I've not had any time to progress the layout due to work constraints but I thought I'd show you all a picture of the newly acquired O2 which was delivered to a friends’.

It is a pre-production model so lacks the motor of gearbox but I managed to pick up a spares or repairs jobby on the internet with a damaged body, so I will make a good one out of the two. After that I'll re-number it and work on removing the motor gear. I'm currently thinking of going for one of the early O2s to the island and modelling it without a nameplate but we shall see....

122112673_785669971998692_8425186327167815053_n.jpg.aad73c420a1f21dff19134313d866709.jpg

I MAY have accidentally bought a Rails Terrier too... 

More soon. 

Let me know if you need any specific body parts as I have a couple of slightly cannibalised pre production unpowered, (albeit mainland versions), so can't help with the motor and gearbox,  O2s sat on my desk...

Edited by Graham_Muz

8 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

That's really annoying, I have been lucky with my two (I have to Hornby ones as well), but yes you should send it back for a replacement.

Yep I will do, I’ve heard they’ve been pretty good on returns so I expect it will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

Let me know if you need any specific body parts as I have a couple of slightly cannibalised pre production unpowered, (albeit mainland versions), so can't help with the motor and gearbox O2s sat on my desk...

Thanks @Graham_Muz, the body appears complete but I haven’t actually seen it myself, so I will keep you posted! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few weeks of minimal progress owing to keeping the layout at my parents whilst I moved house, I am pleased to report I’ve got the layout back with me in London ahead of the second lockdown.

Expect more progress soon! 

BC72E60D-6E59-4847-8968-DB2A62892B10.jpeg

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Yep, just by Oval!

Seems OK, once one has acclimatised.

Aah, jolly good. You will be able to come and visit our club when we re-open. Our clubroom is just off the Walworth Road, so within easy reach.

We managed to open for two weeks, then the tier 2 came in and we closed down again and now the lockdown has made that a definite shut down for at least another four weeks. You never know, we might open again before Christmas, but don't hold your breathe.

By the way, I used to work for Otis Lifts who at that time had their London offices in Clapham Road, just along from Oval Station.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Finished work earlier than expected today and so I was able to grab a few hours work on the layout. 

The first job was to clean up all the dust from sanding the undercoat for the back scenes. 

123834623_658207041557003_4115470147231604749_n.jpg.89645b6ff793f7921ab18afa4d33b971.jpg

Layout with painted backscenes.

With this done I took some time to reflect on what needed to be done on the layout. For some time I haven't been happy with the buildings on the quay. I don't think they look quite right in terms of scale and proportion. With this in mind, I've decided to order a new goods shed for the rear of the layout and will be putting a loading dock where the other one is situated, I'll save the exact details of this for when the new building arrives. 

A few weeks ago I made some progress on the beach area of the layout. This is modelled using Dried soil, sand and broken up plaster, with some seaweed added I think it will look quite effective.

123798130_805400066917042_7171380788051829508_n.jpg.c028e63eea5bf90ab6f3f16b46f273f7.jpg

Beach at the far end of the layout. 

123879902_398322154874433_5774490415599184150_n.jpg.0b9613fa8edbd0432148a98d8393360c.jpg

Beach at the fiddle yard end of the layout.

I then had a good clean of the track and wanted to properly test the Gaugemaster Prodigy and the wiring, last time I had tested this I had a problem with the two Gaugemaster Autofrogs on the 3-way point. They weren't switching the polarity when they should. I decided to change these out for some Gaugemaster Relays, but this doesn't seem to have cured the problem.  For some reason, these aren't changing polarity when the point motor is thrown. I have tried bypassing the resistor on these, but they still don't work. I'm not quite sure on the problem, so may switch these out for the Autofrogs again, or just resort to a manual switch! Other than this, the wiring was all fine, and I'll be looking forward to putting a lid on this area of the project once I've got this 3 way to work. 

123814276_4560316267376887_499267767170108173_n.jpg.8bcfc7ad438de385cdfa1a5b64a40e09.jpg
Carisbrooke testing the new DCC controller and wiring. 

I then knocked up a wooden tower for the water tank I bought from 'Anyscale Models'. This is based on the water towers at Ningwood and Ventnor West. I've not yet decided on whether I will fit a bag to this directly or use a water column. 

123822923_2842540935977582_1751997956713360667_n.jpg.f355eb2f8c549a3a42199b54b52a114f.jpg

The tower was built using off cuts from the quayside.

More progress soon once I work out how to fix the electrical problem or the goods shed or the paint I've ordered for the backscene arrives. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another customer for Anyscale Models.

I have bought a number of his castings, mostly quite good and reasonably priced. These include tents, cable drums and a garden shed. These will go on our St Mellion and Crystal Palace layouts. I also got the locomotive boiler which can go on a well wagon and the old army barracks building. That will go on a military layout I have been planning. 

I recall seeing a layout of Ningwood some years ago, but cannot remember where. Quite a good subject for a layout being a small passing station.

All the best

Ray

22 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Another customer for Anyscale Models.

I have bought a number of his castings, mostly quite good and reasonably priced. These include tents, cable drums and a garden shed. These will go on our St Mellion and Crystal Palace layouts. I also got the locomotive boiler which can go on a well wagon and the old army barracks building. That will go on a military layout I have been planning. 

I recall seeing a layout of Ningwood some years ago, but cannot remember where. Quite a good subject for a layout being a small passing station.

All the best

Ray

Yep, I can't complain and am a happy customer and I'm sure I'll get more from them in due course.

Ningwood is a good station to model... one to consider for the future perhaps....

On 02/11/2020 at 21:07, wainwright1 said:

Aah, jolly good. You will be able to come and visit our club when we re-open. Our clubroom is just off the Walworth Road, so within easy reach.

We managed to open for two weeks, then the tier 2 came in and we closed down again and now the lockdown has made that a definite shut down for at least another four weeks. You never know, we might open again before Christmas, but don't hold your breathe.

By the way, I used to work for Otis Lifts who at that time had their London offices in Clapham Road, just along from Oval Station.

All the best

Ray

Sounds good! Keep me posted if and when you re-open.

The goods shed and paint arrived, so I am hoping to make some good progress on the layout over the weekend. 

It'll need to cut down the back down slightly this to fit in the space available, but I'm hoping this will work well. I'm undecided on the roof, and may replace this with a corrugated iron one or with tiles. 

123942341_366140761288451_3838242379947075825_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well I couldn't wait until the weekend, so made a start on the goods shed. To fit at the back I took a cut of the rear tapering from 1cm to 2cm. I'll need to carefully place some bushes/hedgerow to hide this but think it will work OK. 

Here it is alongside the water tower:

124143353_663437164359209_1472095168259080023_n.jpg.4d6a85dc4990b2f43de8b77ac957db82.jpg

Still not sure on the roof...

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Spent this morning making sky! Using Ford Rivera Blue and the use of the Balcony outside my flat (perks of living in an ex LCC 1930s build).

D19D28D9-59F1-4B3B-86D7-AF3891DC1C2F.jpeg.cb286d8bdd524f375a1bee209b550903.jpeg

Although I covered up the board there is still a little bit of overspray which I will paint over with Burnt Umber.  I’m pretty happy with how it looks and think it’ll look good alongside the trees and scenics to follow. 

D2A7F9DD-DEF2-4701-ABF7-C438D73E6742.jpeg.87b9fe32c40aeb913e313321ce7e44b5.jpeg

I made an attempt at doing some hills in low relief but wasn’t too happy with them, and I had a slight mishap with the direction of spray in the corner thankfully this will be hidden by the trees I was planning to put there anyway. 

I have decided to leave it as is for now. Most of the surrounding land would be low lying and I was planning to have a small hedge row at the rear to hide this join anyway. 

More soon. 

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 3

Hmm. Seeing these photos on a monitor makes me think I may have slightly over done it in terms of the paints brightness and coverage! 

Back to the drawing board me thinks...

Edited by LBSC123

43 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

It works for me, change your monitor :)

If you really do think it's too bright, just overspray with a white mist coat until it's not so blue.

Hmm, I'm not convinced with the colour or method of application. So It'll be back to primer before being painted with emulsion. More news on this later this weekend.