Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Kirtley double-framed '700' class 0-6-0?

Hi All

I'd appreciate some confirmation (or otherwise) on these two photographs which were included in a job lot bought at local auction.

I think they are both ex Midland Railway Kirtley double-framed 700 class 0-6-0s.

The letters 'LMS' can just be  discerned on the cab  side in photo No.19.

If I'm  right (even though they have  different cabs) Will Adams excellent 'Locomotives we have lost' tells me that just one of these survived into BR service with round  topped  Johnson boiler and Salter safety valves - LMS No. 22630: BR 58110 - withdrawn from Derby November 1951.

Could  pic 20 be that?

Any idea on the location? Residential buildings behind pic 20; workshops behind pic 19?

unknown 19.jpg

unknown 20.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carlwebus said:

Hi All

I'd appreciate some confirmation (or otherwise) on these two photographs which were included in a job lot bought at local auction.

I think they are both ex Midland Railway Kirtley double-framed 700 class 0-6-0s.

The letters 'LMS' can just be  discerned on the cab  side in photo No.19.

If I'm  right (even though they have  different cabs) Will Adams excellent 'Locomotives we have lost' tells me that just one of these survived into BR service with round  topped  Johnson boiler and Salter safety valves - LMS No. 22630: BR 58110 - withdrawn from Derby November 1951.

Could  pic 20 be that?

Any idea on the location? Residential buildings behind pic 20; workshops behind pic 19?

unknown 19.jpg

unknown 20.jpg

I’ve got a book on those so I’ll look through it and see what I can find.