Florida East Coast- any followers here?

In the early 2000s I bought  some US models, many with an FEC theme. I've not come across anyone else who shared my interest, so most of the majority of the time they have been stored in their boxes.

Such a shame really, but my interests have moved on to other model railway topics. I have tried to sell them on to some of the larger establishments, but I either got a poor valuation or none at all.

I know that selling to the trade doesn't realise the best prices in any product, but it would be nice to know if there are any FEC modellers apart from me (or as I intended to be) that are actively running the brightly coloured  E7/E8 locos etc? 

Your advice would be appreciated,

Tod

Hi Tod,

I’ve just been sent a link to your message! Like you, I purchased what I thought would be one souvenir loco while I was working out of Miami. Obviously you can’t have just one loco!! I now have several FEC GP40s and a few UP liveried SD40s that I’ve relettered into the ones that the FEC used in the early 2000s. I’ve also got some CSX and TriRail stock too. Unfortunately I’ve not got anything to run it all on yet though. My stuff is a bit more modern than the FEC E7s though, although I do have a couple! I don’t think that the LifeLike E7s go for a great deal these days, even though they are good runners. I hope you find a home for your E7s!

Regards,

David

I built a small FEC  ho switching layout a few years ago -  'South Florida Reload'.  It was based on Matco Reload and other industries in the Pompano Beach area served by FEC local 960.

I only had one FEC loco, an Atlas GP40-2.  Here is a pic of the loco on the layout.

sfr 16.6.15 008new.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

My FEC locos are Proto 2000;-

E7A, E7B (unpowered), E8/9 and GP7 ( limited edition), all in the orange/yellow livery.predating the change to blue.

I have a couple of "Doodlebugs, A USRA light mountain and a large range of Freight stock, some FEC and an 8-car FEC passenger rake. So if I had the space, time, money etc etc, I could have a  really good layout of the 40s/50s period, but as we FEC folk are very thin on the ground, I doubt I'll ever get round to seeing them all run again in all their glory!! Cest la vie!

Happy to know, I'm not alone!!!!

Tod

• Like 1

Hi there Tod,

This was a railroad/livery I have long admired, along with the Atlantic Coast Line (probably deadly rivals!?).

Sadly, I never got around to modelling or even collecting any of their stuff, the closest I got was Kansas City Southern! Sadly, a few years ago, I even sold that and now I only have my C&NW and Espee stuff mainly and I am filled with regret at what I sold for next to nothing.

So I would urge you to simply keep hold of what you have, maybe build a small diorama as somewhere to display your stock or just keep it locked away until such time as your passion comes back - you never know when that will happen. I only say this as I'm quite sure that you would be extremely lucky to realise even a quarter of it's value should you try to sell it on the eastern side of the Atlantic.

I'm sure there will be a fair few folks stateside who will share your interest in the meantime, be assured that there will always be the oddity (like me) who appreciates what you have.

Cheers,

John.

Thank you John for the encouraging words. They are all stowed away in their boxes in a couple of filing cabinet unit drawers. So they are out of sight, out of mind most of the time . As you say, I may get  to see the time when the interest is rekindled and see them perhaps run again?

Tod     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Thank you John for the encouraging words. They are all stowed away in their boxes in a couple of filing cabinet unit drawers. So they are out of sight, out of mind most of the time . As you say, I may get  to see the time when the interest is rekindled and see them perhaps run again?

Obviously not an option now, but perhaps even consider one of the free-mo events (next year??) to get them out to run and socialize at the same time.

If that interests you just keep an eye on here, those who do those events usually post the details well in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I model Florida area mid 90's. I have  6 FEC locos in the blue with white lettering consiting of four GP40-2's and two GP9's one of which was painted detailed and weathered by a friend who is no longer with us. They often get a run at Freemo meets and would have been at the Freemo Devon had the virus not curtailed the event. They are due a run on my High line test circuit in the near future.

There are numerous photos along with other Florida liveries we run on my Fort Myers thread on this forum. The layout did attend Freemo South this year as a module.

Its going to be a while before the layout gets to a show but fingers crossed that the Freemo meets can restart next year.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Freemo is not something I have heard of.

Freemo is a modern modular layout standard, different from the older standards in that it essentially only specifies the connection points between modules and thus allows for a great deal of flexibility in module design - 1 track or more, shapes can be different and fit the scenery, etc.

Then people with modules periodically get together, rent a hall or some sort of large space, and assemble a large layout to run trains for a day or 2.

Stopped at the moment thanks to Covid, there are various ones organized normally during the year - here is a link for one with pictures to give you an idea of what happens.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I would have never made the connection (sorry!) with the word "Freemo" but I get it now! I have seen layouts in the past, N gauge, 009 that were joined together at an exhibition. Some worked better than others, mainly having issues with the crucial join across neighbouring boards. The individual layouts were all different though.  I presume a national or even international baseboard joining standard has been designed for the different scale/ gauges? Does such a thing exist? A strict and rigid discipline must be followed for sure and the old nugget of dc verses dcc comes into play. I'm firmly in the dc camp and I don't know whether my locos are dcc ready. I'll have a look at their boxes as I don't intend taking them apart just to see what's inside the bodies!

Epsom isn't a million miles from me, so if possible, I would like to see what can be achieved. I could bring a couple of my locos along if there is the opportunity to give them a run.

Tod

Thanks for that. I would have never made the connection (sorry!) with the word "Freemo" but I get it now! I have seen layouts in the past, N gauge, 009 that were joined together at an exhibition.

Modules to make layouts certainly isn't new - n-trak probably being one of the most famous - but they were rather limited in what could be done given the strict module dimensions and 3 tracks - yes, the scenery could be different, but...

Freemo is a bit more modern and only specifies the interface between modules, and the track code, and a few other minor things *.

This means you have greater flexibility in sizes and shapes for the modules - as well as in many cases more realism with many sticking to the single track that is so common in North American railroading.

* - anyone thinking of building a module should in addition to looking at the common freemo standards reach out and see if the locals they would like to operate with have done any modifications.

I presume a national or even international baseboard joining standard has been designed for the different scale/ gauges? Does such a thing exist?

Off sorts, though the www.free-mo.org website seems to be done at the moment.  Like I said, there is a sort of common standard and then some groups modify things slightly - though in general it works well.

If you go on YouTube and search freemo canada or freemo national train show you can see some really big layouts that have been setup either at the NMRA national train show or in some cases groups have gotten together and rented a ice hockey rink out of season (somewhere in the range of 75'x200' of space).

Or it can be as simple as a small number of modules a groups of friends periodically operate.

And someone on RMweb there is a OO UK standard, done in a thread started by AndyY.

A strict and rigid discipline must be followed for sure and the old nugget of dc verses dcc comes into play. I'm firmly in the dc camp and I don't know whether my locos are dcc ready. I'll have a look at their boxes as I don't intend taking them apart just to see what's inside the bodies!

DCC is a requirement for freemo - though that said a basic DCC decoder isn't all that expensive and you can likely find guidance or help online if needed in how to upgrade your locos if necessary (and if you choose).  Or even see about going along for a first time without your locos to see if you enjoy prior to spending any time and money upgrading them.

• RMweb Premium

I went to my first meet with the Midland Belt back in February. I didn't take any stock or loco's. Had a great time as part of a two main team switching one of the long branch lines. I would recommend it.

• Like 1

Chris Gilbert has been 'mentioned in dispatches' on this thread; pretty sure he has some Florida locos, but I think they're Florida Midland rather than Florida East Coast. AFAIK also he does more on Facebook than here, these days.

23 hours ago, mdvle said:

Freemo is a modern modular layout standard, different from the older standards in that it essentially only specifies the connection points between modules and thus allows for a great deal of flexibility in module design - 1 track or more, shapes can be different and fit the scenery, etc.

Then people with modules periodically get together, rent a hall or some sort of large space, and assemble a large layout to run trains for a day or 2.

Stopped at the moment thanks to Covid, there are various ones organized normally during the year - here is a link for one with pictures to give you an idea of what happens.

There’s even a FEC loco in the first post of the linked thread! Also me in one of the pics. When all this is over i strongly encourage going to an event. It’s different from an exhibition in that it’s private so you can just concentrate on running trains for fun. First time I went I took a loco but then used someone else’s, since then I’ve just taken my phone with the WiiThrottle app.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of FEC locos for south eastern seaboard themed project.

422.jpg.192e6800ec814a9ec6d0749d6147b678.jpg

425.jpg.781a58a4f09e92a53749d58b2c7cfb67.jpg

One day, I'll dig them out together for a consisted run

• Like 2

I dug my Proto 2000 locos out yesterday, both the E7 and GP15 have the dcc logo on the boxes as does the Spectrum "mountain". I couldn't see any info on the E8/9, but as it was bought at the same time, I would think it likely it is dcc ready also.

If I did attend one of the meets, I would probably take one loco, to see if some kind soul could fit a suitable decoder temporarily, so that I could see it operate. It would have to be returned to dc of course, unless I get the bug?!!!!!!? We shall see what the future holds if and when Covid19 allows us all to be "free" and for more than just a "mo".  Meanwhile, back to building my Great Northern 6-wheel full brake D&S etched kit. It is taxing my brain and lifetime skills, so progress is sloooow..................!    

Happy modelling folks and thanks to all of you for your comments and guidance.

Tod             

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/07/2020 at 15:22, mdvle said:

Freemo is a bit more modern and only specifies the interface between modules, and the track code, and a few other minor things *.

The spec for modules used at Freemo South (Epsom) and Christow (Devon) meets can be found via this link

https://www.nmrabr.org.uk/ho-freemo-module-specs/

If you are a Facebookers then there is a v active group that is prob the main exchange of info on groups, meets and advice on design

https://www.facebook.com/groups/modularamerican

For next year's Freemo South the organising team of myself and Geoff Tiller have made the call to push the date back to the 3rd or 4th weekend of June 2021 to give some more time to see where we are with Covid esp relating to having a venue.

Keep checking the Freemo South 2021 thread on RMWeb for details

Cheers

Dan

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 22:36, newbryford said:

I have a couple of FEC locos for south eastern seaboard themed project.

422.jpg.192e6800ec814a9ec6d0749d6147b678.jpg

425.jpg.781a58a4f09e92a53749d58b2c7cfb67.jpg

One day, I'll dig them out together for a consisted run

is 425 a self done respray. Looks fab.

have been watching quite a few YouTube videos for reference, Florida being the obviously choice, given I've spent several holidays there and you can kinda bring CSX into the mix.

Cheers

Bryn

Edited by GEOEng03
spelling

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

is 425 a self done respray. Looks fab.

have been watching quite a few YouTube videos for reference, Florida being the obviously choice, given I've spent several holidays there and you can kinda bring CSX into the mix.

Cheers

Bryn

Hi Bryn,

Not a respray.

Atlas produced the two pink Geeps #425 and #436. In both sound and non-sound versions - I bought one because I saw one of them in 2018 (paired with a blue one as above)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Hi Bryn,

Not a respray.

Atlas produced the two pink Geeps #425 and #436. In both sound and non-sound versions - I bought one because I saw one of them in 2018 (paired with a blue one as above)

Thanks.  Hadn't realised that Atlas had produced them.  I will have to keep an eye out via eBay and if we ever get a trip back to the states with the current world order... They have been popping up a lot in the videos.  Also, I am quite intrigued by the gas conversions FEC has done on the ES44 fleet.  Quite an undertaking and definitely something a bit different to see and maybe model.

Good work on the US layout as well.

Cheers