Kingswear for Dartmouth

• RMweb Gold

Paul, the buildings that you have modelled are just excellent. I lived there for over 40 years and you've captured the village so well. In the first picture I recognize 'Mount Ridley', our old family home!

It's great to see that it has progressed so well. I went with another member of our Devon Riviera P4 group to Witney to hurriedly dismantle and collect 'Bodmin' from that vast room. Unfortunately it hasn't survived due to heavy corrosion of the steel rail and the warping of the chipboard baseboards. The lovely buildings still exist and are now in the hands of another society member.

The website is very well researched and a good read. 

• Like 3

Re6/6.... Thanks very much for your reply.  Perhaps Bodmin can be re-done at some point, I'm glad the buildings were kept aside as they are such a time consuming aspect of a prototype model.

Kingswear is such a distinctive setting that we had to try and get all the background in before the station & yard models are permanently installed.

We are ready to start that now, and the canopy is in progress with 3D printed brackets done and fold up lattice support posts on order.

There will be a news update every few weeks now, as things come together.

kingwear sep1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Vectispete

Thanks very much for the positive comments, I'll get Paul W to describe the space and configuration here ASAP.

Heres an 'in progress' pic of the line's only scenic break..... the road surface and boundary fence still need doing, but it's nearly done.

There's more to be found in a recent update....... https://kingswearinp4.weebly.com/latest-news.html

IMG_9353.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks Re6/6.... I bet that's got the best view!  It's on Church Hill if I remember.  This one was Carlton House in '47, without the modern add ons, it's at the northern junction of Higher St and Fore St, done in cream with blue quoins and window mouldings.  The tall red brick building two houses along Higher St was a sail loft, so presumably it had no upper floor? 

carlton.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PJBambrick said:

.... I bet that's got the best view!  It's on Church Hill if I remember. 

Indeed Paul the views were just the best....out to the sea, across to Dartmouth and up the river to BRNC!

• Like 3

Stunning.  Lots to digest in the news section of the website.  I like the fact that the model provides a suitable home for the best P4 stock from other modellers.

I can remember seeing a P4 Kingswear --- I think it may have been called Kingsbridge, or some such ---- at Bristol in the mid 70s.  Wasn't there also a 2mm Kingswear described in MRJ?

We must get round to doing some pics of the pre'47 era P4 engines soon, but they still need a little work to modernise them, and one or two still require detailing, paint & lining.  The main things now are to finish the larger engines, the MV 'Alacrity' coaster, and get the footbridge built.  

There is a wartime 2mm Kingswear exhibition model, and there's Kingsbridge Regis.

https://www.cmra.org.uk/exhib18/34.html

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/wencombe-kingsbridge-regis-louville-lane.513/

John Hayes.... small prairie cab, soon to receive Modelu crew.

Looking out to sea, with the far horizon, One Gun Point, St Petrox Church and Warfleet Creek to the right. 

PHOTO-2023-01-12-13-50-19.jpg

dsc01551.jpeg

• Like 17