Mk1 EMU bogies

Which bogies were fitted to which EMUs? Does anybody have a list of which bogies were fitted and which EMUs had them changed (I know the 302 and 307 had the gresley trailing bogies changed for B4/B5).

Any help apreciated. 

• RMweb Premium

303/4/5/8/11 & 504 had Gresley bogies. (w/b 8'6" trailer & 8'9" motor)

302  I think, had them as well.

501, 306, 307 & 506 had leaf-sprung bogies (i.e looked like normal coach bogies).

309 had Commonwealth (8'6 & 8'9", the only example of powered C/W bogies)

310 & 312 had BT and BP bogies which were a development of the B4.

Not sure what the 502/3 had.

SR units had leaf-sprung bogies, (I think called mk3 & mk4), until BEP/CEP and some HAP had C/W trailer bogies.

BIG/CIG/VEP had B5(S) trailer (look like B4 with extra traction rod) and Mk6 motor bogies (like a class 73)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Which bogies were fitted to which EMUs? Does anybody have a list of which bogies were fitted and which EMUs had them changed (I know the 302 and 307 had the gresley trailing bogies changed for B4/B5).

Any help apreciated. 

Hi Chessy

The Southend Stock (later AM7 or class 307) never had Gresley's, they had a Eastleigh EMU version of the BR bogies with only a single bolster and roller bearings. SR DEMUs and LMR North London (class 501) stock had the same bogies. SR BR design EMUs had a similar bogie but with oil axle boxes. On refurbishment the Eastleigh bogies were replaced with B4 bogies on the trailer cars. The motor coach (MBS rebuilt to MS onconversion to 25 KVa) had an Eastleigh design of motor bogie, same as fitted to SR EMUs but with roller bearings, these were not changed on refurbishment.

Where class 302s Gresley bogies changed to B4?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just remembered, the first batches of BIG & CIG units had mk4 power bogies (leaf-sprung Eastleigh type as detailed by Clive) - they still had the B5(S) trailer bogies though.

CEP/BEP that had CW trailer bogies retained the mk4 power bogies under the cab end of the DMBSs

On the HAPs with CW, these were under the inner ends only, with mk4 bogies (powered on the DMBS, unpowered on the DTC) at the cab end.

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Chessy

The Southend Stock (later AM7 or class 307) never had Gresley's, they had a Eastleigh EMU version of the BR bogies with only a single bolster and roller bearings. SR DEMUs and LMR North London (class 501) stock had the same bogies. SR BR design EMUs had a similar bogie but with oil axle boxes. On refurbishment the Eastleigh bogies were replaced with B4 bogies on the trailer cars. The motor coach (MBS rebuilt to MS onconversion to 25 KVa) had an Eastleigh design of motor bogie, same as fitted to SR EMUs but with roller bearings, these were not changed on refurbishment.

Where class 302s Gresley bogies changed to B4?

Clive

Looking at pictures of 302s in British Rail Fleet Survey No 11, it does seem as though the Gresley bogies when built were swapped out for B4s when the 1980s refurbishment took place. Looks as though the 307s got B4s upon refurbishment as well.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

"Did not the first batch of CEP's have BR1 based trailer bogies and these were changed to Commonwealths at refurb?" 

Yes the initial CEP/BEP had these, by the time the next batch units came about, there had been complaints of rough-riding so the CW bogies were used from new.

Eventually all units received CW trailer bogies.

One thing I didn't realise was the 7 refurbed BEPs received Mk6 power and B5(S) trailer bogies in 1988 and were modified electrically to have better acceleration ('Greyhound' modification).

Three CEP units also got these bogies in 1996.

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-4BEP-4CEP.html

I keep forgetting about bloodandcustard.com, gives all the details for the SR units.

Edited by keefer

6 hours ago, keefer said:

One thing I didn't realise was the 7 refurbed BEPs received Mk6 power and B5(S) trailer bogies in 1988 and were modified electrically to have better acceleration ('Greyhound' modification).

That was because they were used on the Portsmouth line to replace the 4BIGs used there.

• Thanks 1