Who owns the Brian Haresnape collection

Karhedron

On 08/07/2020 at 14:39, Steamport Southport said:

No idea. But many of his books were published by Ian Allan so that might be a link.

Jason

Ian Allan sold their railway book publishing interests including the "back catalogue" to Crecy who are based by Manchester Airport. In the deal the contents of the Ian Allan Library (their photo collection) went to Crecy as well. In all likelihood though his family probably have the copyright, but Crecy might be a means by which to contact them.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to Brian's daughter a few years ago when Alec Swain former MRC chairman, BR footplate inspector and 1A shedmaster passed away. He was her god-father.

Alec was one of the founder of one of the Merchant Navy groups, Clan line I think and was also a well-known railway photographer. Using his position as shedmaster at 1A meant he was able to get many "rare" shots. 

I purchased some of Brian Haresnape's diesel slides back in 1969/70, some of which I believe may have been taken by Alec Swain. I knew Alec through a work colleague of my grandfather and he put me in touch with Brian. I am pleased to have some of Brian's slides in my possession as he was a very talented man who's life was cut short tragically. 

• RMweb Premium

It was Alec who continued work on the British Rail Fleet Survey series after Brian's death. There was a joint credit for Vol. 10 and sole credit for Vol. 11 for Alec.

Vol.3 3rd ed. was revised by S.R. Batty.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, roythebus said:

I spoke to Brian's daughter a few years ago when Alec Swain former MRC chairman, BR footplate inspector and 1A shedmaster passed away. He was her god-father.

Alec was one of the founder of one of the Merchant Navy groups, Clan line I think and was also a well-known railway photographer. Using his position as shedmaster at 1A meant he was able to get many "rare" shots. 

How strange - what an unusual coincidence because I also spoke to her that very same day at the same venue and had quite a chat about her father.   I knew Alec well from work, initially, in the late 1960s a very nice chap with an amazing fund of knowledge who I also saw occasionally in his final years after he'd moved to Woking,  One other thing Alec was responsible for was many of the Preparation and Fault Finding Guides and he had at one time been a Diesel (technical) Instructor which was the route of his arrival on the WR.

• Like 1

I couldn't get to Alec's funeral and can't remember how I got into conversation with Brian's daughter! A Facebook friend Noel Hutchinson knew Alec from the WR when he was at Southall shed. Alec worked his way up to Board level with BR. He lived alone at North Wembley until he had to move to the Woking Homes. He was often seen round woking taking train and bus photos. 

But we seem to be getting a bit off thread now! Still no answer to the original question.