High street lamp post

Can  some one please jog my failing memory ?

What colour were lamp post painted in the shopping high streets during the l ate 1950s ?

Also if it was not the same, what was the colour of lamp posts in streets of terraced house's.

Thanks to every person that as a good memory..     Keith

Mid/late '50s on Bridge Street and High Street in Pinner they were concrete posts with white(ish) flourescents. At around that time side streets were usually concrete posts but with smaller sodium yellow heads

• Agree 1

Memory (always faulty, especially mine) says green for the cast iron type. (The contemporary Merit ones were moulded in green plastic. for what it's worth). Black/dirt is a possibility.

It would have depended on the local council I suspect. I don't think there was any hard and fast rule.

Beaten to it again!

Are you old enough to remember the last gas lamps in Bristol? Wickham Hill (Stapleton), before they were moved (stolen by the city corporation for a more salubrious area) - just checked my picture - as above, they were green! Well a sort of greeny blue.

Bristol Stapleton December 1983 OM1 242- (1).jpg

• RMweb Gold

A lot of stuff in general was painted a sort of mid green in the 50s, because the country was still recovering from the aftermath of the war and the post war austerity period, when paint of any colour had been difficult to obtain for any civilian use.  Pretty much the only paint you could get was green or war surplus army, RN, and RAF colours.  It wasn't until the 60s that people started painting their doors and window frames in other colours, and by this time most councils were well on the way to replacing street lights, certainly on main roads and bus routes, with concrete sodium discharge posts.

• RMweb Premium

Certain lamp posts on say a tight corner,  may even still have had the remains,  of the lower say six foot still painted white,  from black out days.. 

• Agree 1